Are the feds about to roll tanks on Portlandia?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I find the apologism for illegal and anti-social behavior gross, yet also fascinating. Along with the fact that the local government allowed this crap to go on for so long.

"It's ok when my team does it"
It’s not ok. I think the liberal consensus was if they’re breaking the law they should be arrested. And many were arrested.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
It’s not ok. I think the liberal consensus was if they’re breaking the law they should be arrested. And many were arrested.
Many arrested, very few charged and convicted. Why is that :unsure:

The “protestors” used George Floyd as a moral license, and the left defended their right to riot violently or at the very least minimized, gaslighted or turned a blind eye to it. Plenty of proof of that in this thread.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

The “protestors” used George Floyd as a moral license, and the left defended their right to riot violently or at the very least minimized, gaslighted or turned a blind eye to it. Plenty of proof of that in this thread.
I have no idea. I don’t live in Portland or follow people’s criminal cases.

When you say turned a blind eye, is there something you expected posters here to do?

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008

about a thousand arrests (some multiple times)

74 people facing federal charges (7% of arrests)

two dozen antifa!

remember...this was confined to an area of a few blocks...

do we not like these numbers?

it says there were probably about a thousand people each night...likely a lot of repeat visitors

almost three quarters of arrests were misdemeanors

it doesn't feel like these people were "let off"....I'm not sure what would have been satisfactory to grapedrink?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
7% charged :roflmao: sounds like pretty lousy numbers to me. How many convictions? Either way those are pretty good odds for a criminal.

Seems that the downtown will never recover. Sad!

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
7% charged :roflmao: sounds like pretty lousy numbers to me. How many convictions? Either way those are pretty good odds for a criminal.

Seems that the downtown will never recover. Sad!
What’s normal?

How does it stack up against 1/6?

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
What’s normal?

How does it stack up against 1/6?
Not sure, but we know WAY higher than 7%.

You'd think there were at least 9000 people that got inside or just outside the Capitol bldg that day?

Most sources say about 2000 give or take?

https://www.insider.com/all-the-us-capitol-pro-trump-riot-arrests-charges-names-2021-1

So, almost 50% arrests to participants, so far.
And a pretty high conviction rate, to date. Almost half arrested have plead guilty, so far.

Some have been jailed waiting for trial well over a year now.

• Haha
Reactions: $kully

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Not sure, but we know WAY higher than 7%.

You'd think there were at least 9000 people that got inside or just outside the Capitol bldg that day?

Most sources say about 2000 give or take?

https://www.insider.com/all-the-us-capitol-pro-trump-riot-arrests-charges-names-2021-1

So, almost 50% arrests to participants, so far.
And a pretty high conviction rate, to date. Almost half arrested have plead guilty, so far.

Some have been jailed waiting for trial well over a year now.
The 2000 person estimate is for those who made it inside the Capitol. There were thousands who didn’t.

Do you think there were 2000 different people lighting fires and looting in Portland?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Agree. That said, courts are already backlogged to an unbelievable degree. It’s unlikely the local Federal Court has anywhere near the capacity to handle all these trials quickly.
If that's the case then they should be let out on bail/bond and then have them return to trial when the time is right, unless that's not an option on the federal level? The Feds seem much tougher with minimum sentencing and early release (as in non-existent IIRC), so I wouldn't be surprised if that applied to bail/bond as well.

Otherwise they have basically served a 20 month sentence already. Which some probably deserve, at the very least.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
If that's the case then they should be let out on bail/bond and then have them return to trial when the time is right, unless that's not an option on the federal level? The Feds seem much tougher with minimum sentencing and early release (as in non-existent IIRC), so I wouldn't be surprised if that applied to bail/bond as well.

Otherwise they have basically served a 20 month sentence already. Which some probably deserve, at the very least.
generally, I agree, but how do you balance that with the need to protect society if they have been indicted for a violent crime or have been classified as a flight risk?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
generally, I agree, but how do you balance that with the need to protect society if they have been indicted for a violent crime or have been classified as a flight risk?
Isn't that the challenge with any sort of legal system? A system that presumes innocence until proven guilty should not be holding people without a trial for months-to-years on end. I'm not sure how democrats can advocate for ending cash bail on the state side (which I agree with), then be okay with 1-2+ years of pretrial detention on the federal side because Trump.

Maybe prioritize the gross offenders and expedite them, and deal with the scrubs later? If they are a flight risk, take their passport and put an ankle bracelet if need be. It's pretty damn tough to be a fugitive nowadays.