Apple Watch + Dawn Patrol + Surfline

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I wore an Apple Watch for a relatively mellow session and it said I burned like 800calories in 2hrs.

showed it to hunny bunny and told her to stfu that surfing doesn’t count as exercise.

she now encourages me to squeeze in a session whenever possible.

worth it.
Um, no. You did not burn 800 calories in two hours.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
The calorie estimates for surfing on the apple watch apps is hilarious. I don't know how accurate it is for other exercises, but surfing is so bad.

My wife upgraded my apple watch for me. I mostly just use it as a timer in the kitchen. I tried to track my paddles but I typically go where service drops out, so it doesn't track anything but the time and my heart rate.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Surfing beachbreaks and pumping reefs/points will burn a ton of calories.

If you combine with a calorie reduced diet you will drop pounds really quick.

I do not know the complexities of at home glucose management for type 1 diabetics but I've had a few type 1s who are avid surfers as patients. They have told me glucose management can be most difficult due to the amount of energy burned and that they tend to have to shoot their glucose sky high pre-surf. I'll emphasize i do not know the accuracy of their claim, just what they've told me.

Jun 11, 2014
Whale's V
I've even answered a phone call from my wife in the water (which was kinda cool) and replied to a text. I've posted on this Forum also while in the water (jk).
Curious if you turned on Water Lock or didn't turn that on in the time you answered call or replied to text? I've just used AW once and only wanted it to check messages from work (if needed) while in the water. Kind of a PITA to try to unlock the Water Lock while in the lineup.

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
Um, no. You did not burn 800 calories in two hours.
Been trying to figure out the calorie burn for a little while now. 2 hours of medium to high wave count session at a somewhat far out reef, or 2 hours of high wave count constant paddling at a beachbreak burns how many calories? I feel like I burn a lot when I'm surfing a windy reef mostly solo and doing nonstop laps-- I usually guesstimate 4-600, but I am pretty constantly moving while I am out there. I think it's different for guys who get a few waves here and there and mostly sit out there, but I really don't know how many calories I'm burning on average

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
There is a swim option on the watch that was automatically triggered at one point. It showed that i burned about the same amount of calories as when i turned on the surfing option in the workout app.

It says I burned about 1,000 calories every session. That is catching about 20-30 waves and surfing for approximately 2 hours.

If you factor in paddling around the beach and paddling for waves and also the pushup to standup, and then the leg workout for pumping down the line, I think its pretty accurate.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
There is a swim option on the watch that was automatically triggered at one point. It showed that i burned about the same amount of calories as when i turned on the surfing option in the workout app.

It says I burned about 1,000 calories every session. That is catching about 20-30 waves and surfing for approximately 2 hours.

If you factor in paddling around the beach and paddling for waves and also the pushup to standup, and then the leg workout for pumping down the line, I think its pretty accurate.

It runs the same numbers if you catch 3 waves.

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
pretty sure the watch is doing all sorts of assumptions and not just using sensor feedback depending on the workout selected.

it warns you that when signal drops per minute caloric burn rate will be the same as XXXX activity.

I bet a highly intense surf compared to bobbing with your buddies surf would show strikingly similar caloric burn rate per minute of exercise.

but as long as hunny bunny thinks I’m getting exercise, let’s all stfu and not ruin a good thing. :dancing:

Reactions: waxfoot

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I personally think the calorie burn estimates are a little bit too optimistic. Let's be real, a lot of surfing is just sitting around.

I'd believe some of the measurements at pumping ob when you're spending a good amount of time paddling for your life.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
I've been using it for a while now, I like it, its kinda interesting to look back at 'the effort', I don't get any Surfline bene's where I am at and I am in a wetsuit with gloves so can't look at it while surfing. Apparently I have surfed 7.9 miles (278 waves) since using the app.

I did email their support team and asked them to add "Fins" to the app since it would be nice to track the fins and the board each session.
-let see what happens.

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
Mine is a couple versions old but you have to lock the watch to seal out water before you go in the ocean, so I don’t know how you would even interact with the watch out there. I wouldn’t want the version that has its own cell connection without being tethered to the phone. I do need a watch when I surf (almost always 30-60min during the workday) and usually wear my old gshock. There’s really only one spot I surf that has a cam, and then it is kinda fun to use the Surfline feature and be able to look at your rides later (I rarely remember to do this). But again, it’s nothing that you do on the watch in the water. The screen is locked on the watch face out there, until you unlock the watch back on land and it beeps and kinda tries to eject any water from the ports/speaker. Seems to work pretty well. I’ve even forgot to water lock it a few times (under a wetsuit sleeve) and it’s held up fine for 2years+.
Never heard of the dawn patrol app.
The locking of the Apple watch has nothing to do with sealing out water so don't worry! The lock is used because when water gets on the screen, it acts a bit funky and can make phone calls etc... It also plays sounds to clear water out of the speaker area as you said.

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
I just got a series 6 as a gift from wifey. I would have never ever bought this thing for my myself, but now that I have it I've been geeking out on it.

Any recommendations on a band durable enough for surfing regularly? The standard band that came with it looks like it will break off during a hold-down and easily flush 600 bux down the drain

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I just got a series 6 as a gift from wifey. I would have never ever bought this thing for my myself, but now that I have it I've been geeking out on it.

Any recommendations on a band durable enough for surfing regularly? The standard band that came with it looks like it will break off during a hold-down and easily flush 600 bux down the drain
Spigen Rugged Armor

I changed my opinion on the solo loop... it's not safe enough and too stretchy... probably because I have feminine wrists, but the Spigen is very secure, and also provides scratch resistance.

IMG_0748.JPG

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
Does that Spigen also attach to the channels at the top and bottom of the watch, like all the other bands do?

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA

Solo loop all the way. NO way that thing will ever come off.