Apple Watch + Dawn Patrol + Surfline

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Not sure this belongs in the design forum, but you know, I try and avoid the general discussion like it's Covid.

Wondering how many of you all, or if any of you all, use an Apple watch + Dawn Patrol for surfing?

I recently got an Apple Watch to track my surfing (no real reason other than sheer boredom) and I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. First, I'm impressed by how well the Apple Watch seems to hold up in the water despite having gone through some very real floggings this year. Two, while I know it's not completely accurate, I think the data is fairly interesting (wave count, speed, distance surfed, ect.)

Last, but certainly not least, every once and a while, Dawn Patrol and Surfline are actually able to link up a wave. I'd say this happens maybe 1/15 times. But still, when it does, it's pretty cool. And no, I don't head directly to the cams to try and catch my own shreds :rolleyes:

Case in point here's a quick shred from my third and final wave yesterday while riding my 6'1 Ghost (design forum acceptable)

Or here are the mostly complete results from my session the other day on the CI Mid.

Anyone out there on this program or am I alone on this one?

Attachments

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Nice wave. My friend is using the apple watch and another friend is using the samsung smart watch. I'm probably going to get the garmin solar instinct surf edition. Sometimes they would get some crazy 40mph waves recorded, but we are thinking it was gps bounce that made it look so fast.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Nice wave. My friend is using the apple watch and another friend is using the samsung smart watch. I'm probably going to get the garmin solar instinct surf edition. Sometimes they would get some crazy 40mph waves recorded, but we are thinking it was gps bounce that made it look so fast.
Nice. 40mph sounds pretty much impossible (outside of Jaws) from what I can see. My top speed so far is 25mph and I was hauling ass. Think similar size wave as above but a much much longer wall and on a 6'6 ghost.

The second fastest waves have all been in the 22mph category. I think it's possible to break the 25mph barrier but I'm not sure by how much. Maybe a few mph.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I'd be careful of the Garmin Solar Surf until they get a little more time to fix their algo. I had an old apple watch that finally busted. It had been working great with Dawn Patrol/feeding into Surfline. But I figured I'd try the Garmin since 1) they generally make great stuff 2) battery life is amazing 3) i'd use for MTB too.

It is WAY too sensitive. A normal session where I'd get 15 waves was registering in Garmins app (which feeds into Surfline) as 50 or 60 waves. It wasn't missing any real waves. They were all there. But you had to weed through 6 times as many fake readings. That's not the end of the world if you value all the other stuff Garmin does well. But it is annoying and makes all the "surfing stats" it's supposed to give you completely wrong. I ended up returning it, and got the cheapest Apple watch; which is about 50% of the Garmin's price tag.

I emailed Surfline's help desk. They took a bunch of info. They even asked if I could wait and return the Garmin after I got another apple watch so i could send them the same session from both watches (yeah...i surfed one day with two watches on). But they did take all that info and said they were constantly working on improving the new Garmin. So it might be better now. But that was only 2 or 3 months ago. Im sure it will get there. It's Garmin after all. But not perfect right now.

Jul 5, 2009
Just started doing this last month. Been using the Series 5 and Surfline sessions, it's definitely a lot more accurate than the Series 3, so I think the GPS within apple watches also makes a difference.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Whatever happend to that rip curl gps watch?

I remember folks in the lineup holding their hand in the air trying to get a gps signal.

Is the apple watch better than that turd? anyone I saw wearing on in the lineup had complaints. Cant say I’ve ever seen an Apple Watch in the lineup.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I recently got an apple watch, for the exact purpose of ... well, no purpose, I just wanted something shiny and I wanted to play with the Dawn patrol app.

It's Pretty good, really digging it, only issue is that the waves have been tiny for a long time here, so after the first session I realised I should change the setting to smaller / weaker surf conditions so that it can more accurately pick upthe small sh!t waves I've been catching.

I got the e-sim version, so I'm actually untethering myself from my phone quite a bit as I leave it home

kane

Michael Peterson status
Sep 30, 2003
Do you guys use the standard band that comes with watch?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Seems like a cool gadget but for me surfing is more about disconnecting from all that sh!t.
I was a little bit worried about this too but the truth is that I don't end up looking at the watch at all except to check the time.

I don't have any trouble resisting the urge to fiddle during lulls. For me, while the Apple Watch certainly has crap to get distracted with but it's really not that engaging. It's nothing like a smart phone that will suck you in.

Reactions: Havoc

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
My wife bought me one (series 3 maybe). I've had it for a year and in that year I've been injured and haven't surfed...

Now my watch needs to update but lacks the space to update.

TL/DR: I have the watch, I had the app, I never used it and now it doesn't work

• Haha
Reactions: rice and sdsrfr
Jul 20, 2008
I have a Series 3 and use Dawn Patrol. I really like it for the simple fact of keeping track of when and where. You can enter what board you rode for each session too. It's also a good memory tool for me too.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
had one a few years back and tried a number of surf tracking apps, none seemed accurate. ended up losing the watch and didn't bother to get another.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I have the Apple Watch. Its great for checking the tides while you surf. I have the face set as a Solar Dial which is helpful for Dawn Patrol's (twilight/dawn, etc.). I've even answered a phone call from my wife in the water (which was kinda cool) and replied to a text. I've posted on this Forum also while in the water (jk).

I dont use the surfline App because it was giving me unreliable data (40 mph and 50 wave counts), but its a great watch overall.

I dont understand why it doesnt tell you the water temp? I think that would be a huge selling point if Apple could add that feature.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I have the Apple Watch. Its great for checking the tides while you surf. I have the face set as a Solar Dial which is helpful for Dawn Patrol's (twilight/dawn, etc.).
That's great.

Simply checking the tide tables is difficult and time consuming.

Apple Watch makes it so much easier.

I've even answered a phone call from my wife in the water (which was kinda cool)
Very cool.

Hopefully guys starting making work phone calls and doing Zoom meetings too.

• Haha
Reactions: Swallow Tail