ANYONE SEEN ANY GOOD MOVIES LATELY ?

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Ngl kinda ashamed that this wasn’t even on my radar let alone watched it and I really like westerns and Peckinpah. Solid rec bro and Ima definitely have to watch at some point.
fair warning... it's a bit corny here and there in its own unique way but still much appreciated by the low class rats I run with

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Never saw that one. Didya see this one?

Nope and ima check it out just for Peter Fonda. This fairly recent western was very entertaining

A lot of the old westerns have their corny moments and long ass goofy 70s sequences ala Butch and Sundance smh but they’re still some great films

• Love
Reactions: crustBrother

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Not a film but Swarm, the series, pretty fucking strange and really good. By Donald Glover of the Atlanta series. If you liked the weird side stories of Atlanta, you'll probably like Swarm.

Watched Saltburn, which was fantastic until the "reveal." Strange film. Not what one expects having seen the trailer. The very end, after the reveal, while unnecessary, works, really well, but kind of needed the reveal, or some other lead-up to it. Personally, I think it should have ended in the coffee shop. I dunno, I just fucking hate big reveals. I'd rather walk away thinking about it a bit more.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
It's 2024 and starting with releases in Spring 2020 sh!t got aaaaaaallllll fuctup.

And until the Summer that just happened, people were obsessed with this fucking Capeshit super hero garbage and IMHO an inordinate amount of focus/effort went into Capeshit relative to there being a Predator/Terminator (infinity times better than Capeshit) movie once per year.

Some best picture nominees from that timeframe I've seen (I haven't seen most)

Top Gun: Maverick would be easy to just zone out and watch again.
1917 - could watch that again
Ford v Ferrari - I liked this movie
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk - weird but watchable
The Post
The Big Short
Merkin Snaper
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Argo (11 years ago)
Zero Dark Thirty (11 years ago)
Django Unchained (11 years ago)

I haven't seen Lincoln, Wolf of Wall Street, Hacksaw Ridge, Get Out, Blackkklansman, Bohemian Rhapsody, Belfast....
That’s not a bad list. Ford v Ferrari was way better than expected, and have watched a few times. Agree that dunkirk was weird. Not in a bad way, but, weird. maybe the use of silence? Other than the deafening cannon and machine gun fire, it was a very quiet war movie. that scene inside the wrecked half-sunken trawler or whatever it was. Cillian Murphy’s story line.

bohemian rhapsody was solid. Way better than the Elton John film

speaking of bio-pics about music legends: are we curious about the Bob Marley bio pic coming later this year? beyond just being Bob Marley, the guy had a hell of a life. think of the material they have to work with. Could be epic.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
It’s worth it bro, it’s that badass. Since @$kully has stepped up Ive decided to accompany him on his journey and rewatch it.
Watched the first episode last night. Weird vibe. But I'm interested. At the very least I got to see William Baldwin going "grrrrrrrr... be a tiger". Weird stuff.

• Love
Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Watched the first episode last night. Weird vibe. But I'm interested. At the very least I got to see William Baldwin going "grrrrrrrr... be a tiger". Weird stuff.

Wouldnt have posted the rec if I didn’t think it was up the erBBs alley. Things are only going to get weirder from here on out

• Wow
Reactions: brukuns

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
The Endless is pretty good. I've got a thing for low-budget sci-fi, and while this has some holes in its story, it delivers.

Now I wanna see this duo's (Moorehead and Benson) other films.

Last edited:

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Not a film but Swarm, the series, pretty fucking strange and really good. By Donald Glover of the Atlanta series. If you liked the weird side stories of Atlanta, you'll probably like Swarm.

Watched Saltburn, which was fantastic until the "reveal." Strange film. Not what one expects having seen the trailer. The very end, after the reveal, while unnecessary, works, really well, but kind of needed the reveal, or some other lead-up to it. Personally, I think it should have ended in the coffee shop. I dunno, I just fucking hate big reveals. I'd rather walk away thinking about it a bit more.

I just watched Saltburn. What a disturbing movie.

Reactions: enframed

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
It’s worth it bro, it’s that badass. Since @$kully has stepped up Ive decided to accompany him on his journey and rewatch it.
It's pretty good so far, I'm 4 episodes in I think. Strange yeah, sometimes apparently just for the sake of being strange. Sometimes I think NWR's weird stuff has no point. Like he's aiming for a [David] Lynchian vibe and doesn't pull it off the way Lynch did. Also, the pacing here is so deliberately slow as to be noticeable. I wonder what he was going for with that, except to have us go "OMG these shots are amazing." Some are good, some aren't. I have no issue with slow pacing, BTW, but this feels affected.

Reactions: Chocki and brukuns

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
It's pretty good so far, I'm 4 episodes in I think. Strange yeah, sometimes apparently just for the sake of being strange. Sometimes I think NWR's weird stuff has no point. Like he's aiming for a [David] Lynchian vibe and doesn't pull it off the way Lynch did. Also, the pacing here is so deliberately slow as to be noticeable. I wonder what he was going for with that, except to have us go "OMG these shots are amazing." Some are good, some aren't. I have no issue with slow pacing, BTW, but this feels affected.
I’m on the 5th episode. Definitely not for everyone but I’m enjoying the noir vibe.

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I’m on the 5th episode. Definitely not for everyone but I’m enjoying the noir vibe.
While slow pacing gets a little tiresome for sure, I also fully enjoyed the cinematography. That said a lot of the artsy shots run too long.

congrats on making it this far bro. If you can make it through episode 5 you’re home free lol. It gets weirder but I don’t remember anything as fucked up as ep 5

for me I’ve always enjoyed directors willing to work outside the box, use non linear narrative, etc. They’re few and far between so you take what you can get and TOTDY has a dank vibe along with some sweet ultraviolence coupled with a cool plot, interesting characters and was ultimately a thought provoking and enjoyable experience.

Reactions: brukuns

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
I just watched Saltburn. What a disturbing movie.
Agreed, I started it a couple of days ago then paused right after he arrived at Saltburn. Finished it last night and actually dreamt about it, which is the first time since I was a kid. There's plenty of uncomfortable scenes that make you want to squirm out of your chair. Not sure if the gummies helped or hindered my perception of it. I still have that feeling that I should've washed myself after watching it. 1705434884230.gif

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Agreed, I started it a couple of days ago then paused right after he arrived at Saltburn. Finished it last night and actually dreamt about it, which is the first time since I was a kid. There's plenty of uncomfortable scenes that make you want to squirm out of your chair. Not sure if the gummies helped or hindered my perception of it. I still have that feeling that I should've washed myself after watching it. View attachment 170666
1705436546146.gif

• Haha
Reactions: SrPato

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
top 5 for me, all time.

Even 20 years later i still hold a faint and unrealistic hope that Hollywood will make 3-5 more movies based on Aubrey/Maturin novels.
They can't do it now - everyone would be race/gender/species-swapped and Aubrey would be a diverse girlboss posing with an angry face all the time.

Crowe is also too old. It's a shame they never made more of those movies. The books are amazing. We might have to start reading books again.

• Haha
Reactions: PJ and Subway