Anyone into Single Malt Scotch Whisky?

May 31, 2011
Def going to Legoland... not sure about the zoo because took my kid to the one we have here and he was incredibly uninterested. I would go for sure if I hadn't gone before though... but I did.

Kid is into Aquariums. I'm checking what are the best ones in SoCal.
The Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach is good and is massive. Scripps Aquarium in La Jolla is smaller but also very nice.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
The Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach is good and is massive. Scripps Aquarium in La Jolla is smaller but also very nice.
Thanks!

I was reading about this Go City, that could actually be worth it and I could go to a bunch of places and not worry if we all just get bored and wanna live. Is that as straight forward as they make it to be? Like, If I buy a 5 day pass I can go to any of those places as many times as I want and sh!t? Or is there a catch like, you can choose to go to either Legoland or Seaworld once and the other days are just museums and stuff. Just wondering if there's any fine print I should be aware of.

May 31, 2011
Thanks!

I was reading about this Go City, that could actually be worth it and I could go to a bunch of places and not worry if we all just get bored and wanna live. Is that as straight forward as they make it to be? Like, If I buy a 5 day pass I can go to any of those places as many times as I want and sh!t? Or is there a catch like, you can choose to go to either Legoland or Seaworld once and the other days are just museums and stuff. Just wondering if there's any fine print I should be aware of.
I'm not familiar with Go City, but it looks promising based on their website. I didn't look through it but sometimes passes have blackout dates. I would check first to make sure your travel doesn't fall into one of those.

Reactions: brukuns

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I'm not familiar with Go City, but it looks promising based on their website. I didn't look through it but sometimes passes have blackout dates. I would check first to make sure your travel doesn't fall into one of those.
Absolutely. But I'm actually considering stretching my stay in SD a little bit so we can get advantage of it. Lots of activities for the kid... and being able to do Legoland, zoo, wild park, seaworld plus aquarium, museums and a bunch of other stuff for a good price... Seems like a good deal (I don't think just driving around and enjoying the views will cut it for the kid so moah activities the moah betta!).

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Had a little BBQ yesterday for the family, Inlaw came bearing gifts :love:!

View attachment 151668

He knew I was missing a Cask Strength on my shelf and he had 2 of this. Smells awesome, can't wait to give it a try. Trying it neat at first but def adding water. Awesome.
Not excellent. But good enough. I already wouldn't buy this because I didn't love the Glenfarclas 12, but since it was a gift.

Lots of alcohol, obviously... but not as much as you would expect to be honest. But it does demand some water, it gets better (and just too aggressive neat... but I always take the first couple sips neat).

The thing is I don't think I love the Glenfarclas spirit... it's a bit too sweet (althought definitely spicy), almost reminds me of a bourbon (a good one).

This will be one of my "getting drunk" bottles and not something I'm going to pour and enjoy after a long day.

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
I just spent 10 days in Scotland & England and sampled many fine whiskies. It is the national drink of Scotland after all. We did one distillery tour at Tomatin (this was the only distillery near us that allowed children).

One of twelve stills

Cask warehouse

Tasting

We brought home a bottle of their Cù Bòcan (which means 'ghost dog' in Gaelic). It's got a smooth, light smoke flavor.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Awesome! I wonder what that warehouse smells like. I will definitely want to visit Scotland at some point... just need some more dough (being into scotch whisky is a bit counter productive on that front :ROFLMAO: ).

I couldn't hold myself and ordered a Tamdhu 12 at a great price (for br standards) yesterday. I hear great things of this distillery which is often compared to The Macallan when it comes to the character of their spirit and quality of casks used. They also compare it a lot to GlenDronach... since the Macallan 12 and the GlenDronach 12 are some of my favorite 12 yr olds on my shelf this was an easy pick (just love sherried scotch and Tamdhu is 100% about sherry).

If I really like it I might get both the Tamdhu 15 and their Cask Strength when I visit the US in September.

Reactions: Joshua2415

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
What a beautiful fucking bottle. Even if it ends up tasting like sh!t (it won't) it was worth it just to look all pretty on the shelf. Can't wait to pop this bitch open.

tamdhu12.jpeg

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Oh man, what a treat. This is a good whisky. Zero alcohol anywhere (and I just opened the bottle so it had no time to even open up).

Smells a lot like the Macallan 12, lots of sherry... but when you taste it, although there are hints of red fruits, there's zero sweetness... this is a dry sherry (makes sense, it's 100% ex-oloroso casks). Lots of tannins and wood influence, tastes older than 12 years old. What's crazy is that at first the body feels thin, but then it gives you one helluva finish.

Yeah, this is good whisky.

1681478177862.png

Last edited:
  • Love

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Dear whisky diary...

dang, this one's different. Not heavily peated but it's all over the place... medicinal, bbq, ash, burnt rubber... it's like a bit of every type of peat I ever tried... and there's some funkiness in it that's hard to describe but it's awesome... almost "cheesy"... It's also quite spicy, prickles the tongue. It's also sweet... and salty... crazaaay!

Still sipping it... this is pretty freaking good and it's only the neck pour, can't wait to see how this bottle develops.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Visited my inlaw yesterday, tasted 2 whiskies I was really curious about... The GlenDronach 15 and the 18.

Holy sh!t, the 15 was excellent... but the 18 is just ridiculous. The Allardice is easily the best whisky I've ever tasted. So much dark, intense flavor... The more recent bottlings probably aren't as good (they used older whisky for a while after reopening), but I think I kinda need one.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I will definitely want to visit Scotland at some point... just need some more dough (being into scotch whisky is a bit counter productive on that front :ROFLMAO: ).
I only went to two distilleries when I was there too long ago.

Maybe I lucked into things, but both were pretty fun.

I liked the one in Kirkwall best, the one near Wick a close second.

Last edited:

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Apparently I have zero self control... Bring on the PEAAAAT!!

View attachment 153845
The more I drink this bottle, the more I love it... It's just delicious... It's peaty, it's fruity, but the coolest thing is it has this "cheesy" trait that's so good. One of the best 10s most likely.

Also, this 15 arrived today... couldn't resist this Mother's Day deal and I was really enjoying the Tamdhu 12.

1684268078038.png

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Family keeps growing and now I'm officially out of room in the shelf for new bottles... good thing I have 2 that are almost ready to go (and I have a back up of both, yes!).

1685645210838.png

40% abv... meh... but at this price. and people say great things about it, like, it could be the best 40% around. and natural color... that dark after just 10years... this must taste good. Soon... soon.

• Love
Reactions: sushipop

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Family keeps growing and now I'm officially out of room in the shelf for new bottles... good thing I have 2 that are almost ready to go (and I have a back up of both, yes!).

View attachment 155369

40% abv... meh... but at this price. and people say great things about it, like, it could be the best 40% around. and natural color... that dark after just 10years... this must taste good. Soon... soon.
Best 40% I've ever tasted with a safe margin... you guys get it at 43% in the US... for the price this is a non brainer. so much oak for a 10 year old... I wish this was 46% though, it would be on another level. Edradour is LEGIT.

Obs: ok, I kinda forgot the Macallan 12 Sherry Oak was also 40%... and it's good. but ridiculously overpriced, 3x the price of this Edradour here... so yeah, Edradour wins.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Another one for the collection... 1 liter bottle is :dancing:! And an Ardbeg 10 that was too cheap to pass on the way. But this one should be goooooood. the big bottle sure is pretty!

1686677392458.png