Anyone ever have a porch/exterior light dispute with a neighbor? (Warning: Contains CasaMugs problem)

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
next door neighbor rents to drunk limeys, they fall asleep in the yard with the light on. thing's like a lighthouse light. lose several plants to the damned thing. they all went south to some macro-concert party they have at the end of the windsurfing comp... sneak over, take said lamp to my buddy who works iron. 20€ and he lays a piece of steel welded 360° around the bulb and puts it all back together. they return, replay the same situation, passed out drunk on the terrace lounge chairs in the yard, outside light's on.... no worries now, it only shines directly down on their stupid faces.

:dancing::nana:

fixed that arse hole for cheap!

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
I hate blackout curtains so much. In the summer in Sweden, you need them for sure, but it kinda freaks me out.

Reactions: grapedrink

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I hate blackout curtains so much. In the summer in Sweden, you need them for sure, but it kinda freaks me out.
They serve triple duty in SF.

1 Really keep the light out from Austin, TX, neighbors who think the lights will keep out the racoon/opossum/skunk/cat raids at night, and former San Diego renters on the other side who worked construction by day and smoked on the back porch at night.

2 In combination with the double pane windows, really keeps down the noise from street sounds.

3 Prevents the peepers from seeing too much of the good stuff.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I like sleeping with blackout curtains.

I hate waking up with blackout curtains.

We're currently waiting to see if the new neighbors downstairs need a talking to. We've come to realize that our new building is really poorly insulated, both for temperature and sound. It's constantly cold and our single wall heater in the hallway doesn't do much to take the chill off in the living room or bedrooms. Now that our new neighbors have move in, The sound is the issue. The 2 20 somethings talk from room to room and one dude's voice just resonates through the whole house. He talks REALLY loud on the phone and to his roommate, but her voice doesn't carry nearly as much. It doesn't help that his bedroom is directly below ours.

I spoke with 2 neighbors when I ran into them (It's a 6 unit building. 2 units are 80+). One neighbor, a cop who has been in the building for 10 years, kind of rolled his eyes in agreement when I said the dude has been loud, but we were hoping that he would settle down once he settled in.
I spoke with the neighbor that lives directly below the kid and he sounded really over it.

This weekend SUCKED. Friday, the wife and I grabbed some to-go drinks in the neighborhood after sober January. The neighborhood was nuts. Lots o people, overflowing outdoor dining. Too much for me. We played the outskirts, grabbed some takeout, and went home after 3 drinks. Apparently after not drinking for a month, 3 cocktails really has an impact.

Long story short, we limped into bed by 9:30. At 11pm, the neighbors had come home and it literally sounded like they had set up karaoke in my bedroom for 30 minutes. I distinctly remember thinking "I'm glad I'm drunk enough not to be bothered, and going back to sleep.

I tried to take a nap at 12:30 on Saturday and the neighbor turned on music that thumped into my bedroom.

Options are probably in this order:
1. Knock on the door, ask if our footsteps, music, and 2 year old are ever an issue and mention that we can hear EVERYTHING dude says, and mention that we are in the process of buying more rugs and pads to insulate and lightly recommend they do the same. Casually drop the fact that other neighbors have complained as well.
2. Formally ask neighbors to sign on with me and leave a written note.
3. Get in touch with the land lord.
4. Have the wife put on the high heels, while I throw on some dress shoes in the morning, Then point speakers down to the floor and play speed metal while I leave the house for the morning.

Reactions: CutnSnip and rice

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
At 11pm, the neighbors had come home and it literally sounded like they had set up karaoke in my bedroom for 30 minutes.
:LOL::cry:

4. Have the wife put on the high heels, while I throw on some dress shoes in the morning, Then point speakers down to the floor and play speed metal while I leave the house for the morning. :unsure::D

Reactions: tacos

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
First step is nicely explaining to him insulation in the building sucks and the loudness he and his roommate are making is keeping you awake at night (10 pm is a reasonable cutoff time). Explain you "don't have a problem with loud music during the day once in a while". Key part once in a while.

If that doesn't work you *and your neighbors* go to the landlord.

Reactions: CutnSnip

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
My neighbors, normally very quite, broke bad approxmiately just before CHristmas and burned it through like the second week of february. A few random samplings:
"I had to walk through ten stretts of white guys trying to kill me!"
"put the knife down!"
"don't hurt the animals!"
(sounds of god knows what crashing into the drywall, knocking over MANY things in my bathroom)
(sounds of multiple people crashing into drywall)
(sounds of someone getting all their things chucked out the front door)
(many shattering things)
"I don't have your phone!"
"I'll take the only car!"

the gf was HATING it...I personally though tit was pretty solid entertainment

Reactions: tacos

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
You should watch this movie. (See :40 for relevant scene)-

That said, we had problem with neighbors on all sides of us. The one behind us had a light that shined into our yard and we just built a 9 foot tall trellis (we found out that fences can only be 6 feet tall but a free standing trellis could be up to 12 feet, set back a couple feet from the fence). One side neighbor had a security light with motion sensor that picked up our movement and shined into our yard, but she's totally cool, an avid outrigger paddler, and we just talked to her and she reoriented the light so it's no longer a problem. The other side neighbors are both cops. They had a small bungalow torn down and built a lot line to lot line mega mansion. Their patio lights are a harsh cold light better suited for a prison yard. Luckily they are never in their (10 foot deep) yard, so it hasn't been much a problem. If it became a problem, we have a fire pit just upwind from them:poke:.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
We went for years where other than the occasional campfire down the beach and the panga fisherman offshore the closest light was seven clicks away. Closest visible light now is around a click away.

La ogra can’t stand the light to sleep. Te vas a apagar la luz? A qué horas vas a apagar la luz? Porqué tienes la luz prendida? Bien qué sabes qué yo no puedo dormir con la luz prendida. Y la chingada... She can see better in the dark than I can in daylight. Pinche vampira. I’m nightblind.

I did shift work for a long time, I can sleep with light, noise, whatever.

afoaf uses a candle or nightlite. Fag.

When she is there, turn up the Ted Nugent. Nobody can take much of that.