Anyone ever have a porch/exterior light dispute with a neighbor? (Warning: Contains CasaMugs problem)

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Backstory: Neighborhood was literally pitch black when I moved here, which was one of the selling points. No streetlights until a few years ago, but for the most part pretty dark. No issues with neighbors lighting. . . Until a few nights ago. House with adjacent backyard installed a very bright porch light between their house and detached garage. One of those half dome deals that lights up everything around it and does not point in any one direction. Even with my bedroom blinds closed (2" horizontal wood, they're fabulous) it's still bright.

So I decided to take the diplomatic approach. I walked over, politely introduced myself and asked if she could either turn it off at night or install a motion sensor. i could tell that she was immediately salty from me even asking for her attention. She replies, "It already has a motion sensor". I say "no, it's on all night, so it's not motion activated". She says, "Oh, I mean dusk til dawn" and goes on to explain that she has security concerns and is in the process of renovating for a sale. I ask if she would consider getting a different fixture that doesn't light up every direction, and would even help pay for it, and she bruskly shot that down and basically told me to install blackout curtains.

At that point I said, "Well, it'd be nice if you could have a little bit of consideration for your neighbors" and that's when she exploded :roflmao: and said "SIR THAT IS vERY RUDE!!! YOU CAN INSTALL CURTAINS!!!"

In fairness, I understand that she is probably stressed out with the renovation, sale and security issues. Or that if I were to move into a well lit neighborhood, it would be on me to keep the light out. I also respect the rights of homeowners to do with and secure their home as they wish.

That said, is it really unreasonable to ask your neighbor to be considerate with their lighting? I've always felt that people who feel the need to light up the whole neighborhood are basically a rung on the ladder below people who drive under the speed limit in the left lane as being most deserved of being slowly lowered into a barrel of acid.

The local ordinance appears to be on my side, so I will Karen the city tomorrow. Anybody have luck with this sort of thing after failing at going the neighborly route?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: $kully

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Steve McQueen used his shotgun to blow out Keith Moon’s outdoor light since Keith wouldn’t accede to Steve’s request when they became neighbors on Trancas Beach. Keith got the message and sold the place and moved! Wanted Dead or A Light! Steve was pretty good with my Daisy b.b. pistol back in the day. I could only hit the ground ;-) 5DAB0395-FAE7-4D1B-99D3-D8D52AC521CE.jpeg

Last edited:

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Most Cities/county's have nuisance light ordinances
Most basically state that light leaving the property cannot disturb others
I found the the ordinance# for my county and emailed code enforcement they took care of it
I did make the effort, I told my neighbor that the light from from him lighting up his backyard all night went through my rear door and lit my daughters room. I asked for it to be turned off He said he would take care of it. Nothing. I built fence topper to keep the light out of her face. After their remodel when it happened again I emailed code enforcement and they handled it . I got a nice response email and a phone call from code enforcement and if I had any further issues to respond back to their reply. Some people only get it when they face consequences. It's unfortunate that my neighbor is a d!ck/ completely incapable of common courtesy, going to code enforcement kept me from the inevitable escalating altercation. I would never do anything to help them out, but he chose this

JJJJS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 2, 2017
Don't stand for some sweet and delicious bag of sugar light-polluting your house/neighbourhood! Aren't there any regulations for this in the US?

Reactions: grapedrink

JJJJS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 2, 2017
Most basically state that light leaving the property cannot disturb others
I found the the ordinance# for my county and emailed code enforcement they took care of it
I did make the effort, I told my neighbor that the light from from him lighting up his backyard all night went through my rear door and lit my daughters room. I asked for it to be turned off He said he would take care of it. Nothing. I built fence topper to keep the light out of her face. After their remodel when it happened again I emailed code enforcement and they handled it . I got a nice response email and a phone call from code enforcement and if I had any farther issues to respond back to their reply. Some people only gets it when they face consequences. It's unfortunate that my neighbor is a d!ck/ completely incapable of common courtesy, going to code enforcement keep me from the inevitable escalating altercation. I would never do anything to help them out, but he chose this
You answered my question lol

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Randomly just saw a super disturbing IG vid (search #Pennsylvaniashooting on IG) that involved some lunatic shooting and killing 2 of his neighbors over what looked like a run of the mill snow shoveling argument early this week. It was really bad and sorta gut wrenching. I'd stick with the city route instead of confrontation.:drowning:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Thought about that, but already made myself known as someone with a grievance. Plus the whole property is camera'd up to the nines.

Yeah the language seems pretty straight forward: "no illumination may be directed toward the adjacent residential uses and onto streets. Lighting glare shall be screened from the residences, hotels, streets, and other glare sensitive uses." and "No direct or reflected glare, whether produced by floodlight, high temperature processes such as combustion or welding, or other processes, so as to be visible from any boundary line of property on which the same is produced shall be permitted"

I'm planning to drop a copy of this off with her tomorrow and kindly ask again before going the city route. Another wrinkle is that the house will have new owners in 2 weeks, who are hopefully reasonable, however i realize that me hitting them up with this while they are busy getting settled might also yield lackluster results. Is it worth talking to the realtor as well?

Reactions: Ifallalot

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Funny this came up.

We currently have this problem in our alley, the guy in the next unit over is pretty pissed about it lighting up his bedroom at night so he's handling it.

Don't feel bad about calling code enforcement. The bottom line is there are always going to be certain neighbors that have no respect for the rest of the neighborhood and the neighborhoods that don't go to sh!t are usually full of people that call code enforcement when something is fvcked.

I also learned don't even bother being diplomatic with them - just go straight to code enforcement. As you can see it's pretty much a total waste of time talking to these types in the first place.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
You could get one of those uber high powered green lasers and point it into her window. It'll reflect through everything glass in her house that it hits, and you'll know immediately when it does and so will she (trust me :roflmao: :drowning: ) .

• Haha
Reactions: tacos and rice

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
You could get one of those uber high powered green lasers and point it into her window. It'll reflect through everything glass in her house that it hits, and you'll know immediately when it does and so will she (trust me :roflmao: :drowning: ) .
Nice! Already thought of that with a spotlight, but the laser would be next level :roflmao: Problem is i don't think anyone is even living there at at the moment. That will by my nuclear option if the new owners don't cooperate
:ban:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
It funny, we have the opposite issue going on our 'hood.

When our "master planned" community was built back in the late 80's/early 90's (I moved in '93) they installed all these modern street lights with metal frames, poles and bases, compared to the standard "ugly" molded concrete ones you see most areas with the extended arms out over the street.

Well, as the years passed, those metal bases started corroding, particularly if they were exposed to constant greenbelt sprinklers. A few started getting blown over during strong storm events, and deemed a hazard. So after a lawsuit between the HOA and the city on who was responsible for them (HOA/builders got allowance from city to install, but city did not want to pay to replace these "special" lamp posts in most residential areas, except on key main roadways and some parks only for consistency), there was a resident vote to either raise the HOA fees to pay for the new lights in the residential hoods, or not. Voters decided they didn't want the increase, and the city didn't want to pay.

So, whenever a lamp post is removed because of corrosion issues, they don't replace them at all. We have some whole main outer streets (no houses on these) now without ANY street lamps on them. Dark as can be on moonless nights. My street still has a few, but some have dark stretches for many houses down. But, as for personal homes with bright lighting, it's somewhat regulated due to HOA restrictions. We have a few well scattered homes that've taken it on their own to light the neighborhood out towards the street, but so far no one going nuts with them. Kind of like living in a rural area, but with modern aesthetics. Pro's and cons of living in a HOA 'hood.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Backstory: Neighborhood was literally pitch black when I moved here, which was one of the selling points. No streetlights until a few years ago, but for the most part pretty dark. No issues with neighbors lighting. . . Until a few nights ago. House with adjacent backyard installed a very bright porch light between their house and detached garage. One of those half dome deals that lights up everything around it and does not point in any one direction. Even with my bedroom blinds closed (2" horizontal wood, they're fabulous) it's still bright.

So I decided to take the diplomatic approach. I walked over, politely introduced myself and asked if she could either turn it off at night or install a motion sensor. i could tell that she was immediately salty from me even asking for her attention. She replies, "It already has a motion sensor". I say "no, it's on all night, so it's not motion activated". She says, "Oh, I mean dusk til dawn" and goes on to explain that she has security concerns and is in the process of renovating for a sale. I ask if she would consider getting a different fixture that doesn't light up every direction, and would even help pay for it, and she bruskly shot that down and basically told me to install blackout curtains.

At that point I said, "Well, it'd be nice if you could have a little bit of consideration for your neighbors" and that's when she exploded :roflmao: and said "SIR THAT IS vERY RUDE!!! YOU CAN INSTALL CURTAINS!!!"

In fairness, I understand that she is probably stressed out with the renovation, sale and security issues. Or that if I were to move into a well lit neighborhood, it would be on me to keep the light out. I also respect the rights of homeowners to do with and secure their home as they wish.

That said, is it really unreasonable to ask your neighbor to be considerate with their lighting? I've always felt that people who feel the need to light up the whole neighborhood are basically a rung on the ladder below people who drive under the speed limit in the left lane as being most deserved of being slowly lowered into a barrel of acid.

The local ordinance appears to be on my side, so I will Karen the city tomorrow. Anybody have luck with this sort of thing after failing at going the neighborly route?
Sounds like a rough neighborhood!