Anybody buy a new TV recently?

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
looking to move on from my 2012 samsung 52 inch plasma.

Seems decent TVs are cheaper.

Any recomnendations? Not a gamer.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Picked up LG OLED 65" model about 6 months ago from Costco. Amazing picture.

But the damn thing has sh!t software. Bought a soundbar with it that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. More problematic is the damn channel guide doesn't download for some reason. For every channel in the guide, you just get 'No Information'. This is known issue for years, and many in forums complaining to LG about it but the company has done nothing. It's annoying AF. Rest of TV is amazing, but I sure as hell would like to know wtf is coming on next.

For this reason alone, would not buy LG again. Would stick go with Samsung instead, although I'm sure there is some big known issue over there as well.

Also of note, LG refridgerators are some of the worst out there. Do not buy one. Complete pieces of sh!t. Stick with GE as they dominate the kitchen appliance market and parts are plentiful and immediately available.

Reactions: CutnSnip and gbg

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
looking to move on from my 2012 samsung 52 inch plasma.

Seems decent TVs are cheaper.

Any recomnendations? Not a gamer.
go to costco, buy a samsung that is bigger than what you originally wanted to buy

costco vets their products well

samsung makes a great product

buy the bigger one because you're a goddamn man, for christ's sake

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I bought one of those super cheap roku Tvs and it only lasted about a year before the vertical sync went out. Great while it lasted and was tempted to buy another.

on my next modestly priced Vizio. Had to buy a roku stick because the app software sucks but it has apple air play and chrome cast built in. that part is pretty cool.

like all things, gone are the years you bought a tv and it lasted 10yrs, it seems.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
just picked up a 65 inch LG from best buy for 500ish the other day. Upgraded from a 55 LG that was about 5 years old and didnt support alot of the new apps and Im super happy. Picture looks great, has HDR (yea its not an o-led) but for 500 bucks it bangs!

Reactions: afoaf

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard

But the damn thing has sh!t software. Bought a soundbar with it that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. More problematic is the damn channel guide doesn't download for some reason. For every channel in the guide, you just get 'No Information'. This is known issue for years, and many in forums complaining to LG about it but the company has done nothing. It's annoying AF. Rest of TV is amazing, but I sure as hell would like to know wtf is coming on next.

For this reason alone, would not buy LG again. Would stick go with Samsung instead, although I'm sure there is some big known issue over there as well.

Also of note, LG refridgerators are some of the worst out there. Do not buy one. Complete pieces of sh!t. Stick with GE as they dominate the kitchen appliance market and parts are plentiful and immediately available.
The key is to read the comments BEFORE you purchase the TV.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
pretty happy with my two year old (non oled LG) doesn't sound like I have nearly the issues as stated above. the hd is sick but I'm not really geeky with audio visual stuff. it aws a phuckton less than OLED (I think I paid 800) and I feel like I got a lot for the money.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

When I bought my 58" Samsung costco also had a 55" LG around same price.. I stood for 5 minutes or so in front, side(s), etc about 10' away to determine which was bezt in pic and sound. Samsung won for sound and the picture was about the same but all show tvs are set super bright to show off on floor..

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
No mention of Sony? Are they not what they used to be? I bought a 40" Sony 6.5 years ago and it still works great. No hardware related issues.

Either way, I would recommend getting some kind of external device for your apps like an Apple TV, Roku, etc. That way if you need to reset or change out your TV you don't need to reload all your apps and enter your passwords using the scroll keyboard and remote. PITA. That's the only frustration I have with my Sony, is that every 3-6 months an app would corrupt and stop working, forcing me to do a factory reset.

Reactions: Bob

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I'm looking for an outdoor TV for our covered patio. It is north facing, so it never gets direct sunlight. Any suggestions?
I would look for one with bezt picture for $$$ you have to spend and not worry about exterior as long as you install a couple inches off structure and have a eave or some cover above screen protect from rain with wind.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
No mention of Sony? Are they not what they used to be? I bought a 40" Sony 6.5 years ago and it still works great. No hardware related issues.

Either way, I would recommend getting some kind of external device for your apps like an Apple TV, Roku, etc. That way if you need to reset or change out your TV you don't need to reload all your apps and enter your passwords using the scroll keyboard and remote. PITA. That's the only frustration I have with my Sony, is that every 3-6 months an app would corrupt and stop working, forcing me to do a factory reset.
Go into any BestBuy or Costco, there are 20 LG and Samsung models, and one or two Sonys. The prime shelf space is dominated by LG and Samsung for some reason. I know quite often big companies will pony up big money to retailers to get their products on the prime shelf space in the store.

• OLED stands for "organic light emitting diode."
  • QLED (according to Samsung) stands for "quantum dot LED TV."

• OLED is a fundamentally different technology from LCD, the major type of TV today.
  • QLED is a variation of LED LCD, adding a quantum dot film to the LCD "sandwich."

• OLED is "emissive," meaning the pixels emit their own light.
  • QLED, like LCD, is, in its current form, "transmissive" and relies on an LED backlight.
Samsung is working on new OLED tv for 2021.
OLED for the win.

Last edited: