Anybody buy a new TV recently?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Go into any BestBuy or Costco, there are 20 LG and Samsung models, and one or two Sonys. The prime shelf space is dominated by LG and Samsung for some reason. I know quite often big companies will pony up big money to retailers to get their products on the prime shelf space in the store.

• OLED stands for "organic light emitting diode."
  • QLED (according to Samsung) stands for "quantum dot LED TV."

• OLED is a fundamentally different technology from LCD, the major type of TV today.
  • QLED is a variation of LED LCD, adding a quantum dot film to the LCD "sandwich."

• OLED is "emissive," meaning the pixels emit their own light.
  • QLED, like LCD, is, in its current form, "transmissive" and relies on an LED backlight.
Samsung is working on new OLED tv for 2021.
OLED for the win.
Good info, although I wouldn't necessarily use Costco shelf space as an automatic indicator of quality. Costco's business model is designed around price and SKU reduction. Manufacturers like selling to Costco because they only need to make them 1 or a few SKUs and they are competing with very few other manufacturers who sell similar products.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Good info, although I wouldn't necessarily use Costco shelf space as an automatic indicator of quality. Costco's business model is designed around price and SKU reduction. Manufacturers like selling to Costco because they only need to make them 1 or a few SKUs and they are competing with very few other manufacturers who sell similar products.
No but you do get a a lot bang for your bucks....

Reactions: grapedrink

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Sony had a bad stretch with quality control

I'm still sorta over them after some shoddy buys

The Koreans are taking over the world

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I forgot to add one very important thing about the LG that sucks.

Was watching tv one night when a message appeared on the screen. "xyz is trying connect to your TV (allow/deny)"

This pissed me off. Apparently the tv shows up on other people's devices in the neighborhood, as a device that can be connected to. Kind of like how people can see the name of your wifi-network.

Once again, LG software fails. No way to turn off this screen-connect/share feature of the TV, so it's always turned on, meaning other people in the neighborhood can always see it.

An official response from LG to someones complaint about this from 2017.

"Thank you for this information, it seems it may be from a neighbor or someone close by who is accessing their bluetooth settings and seeing the available connection with your Anynet+ settings. Unfortunately there is not a method to block the connection from others' view and the only option for keeping others from connecting is to continue denying the pop-up. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: rowjimmytour

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Just bought a 55” LG OLED. Great fvcking picture. I’m finally 4K Fecal!!!!

I use it with an appletv and Sonos. Don’t bother with the not smart tv functions and everything is great. None of the issues r32 speaks of. Wondering if if it’s more an issue that his neighbor is on his WiFi.

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Just bought a 55” LG OLED. Great fvcking picture. I’m finally 4K Fecal!!!!

I use it with an appletv and Sonos. Don’t bother with the not smart tv functions and everything is great. None of the issues r32 speaks of. Wondering if if it’s more an issue that his neighbor is on his WiFi.
This has a great picture but at costco when I bought mine the 58" oled samsung was about same price and had equal quality in picture but better sound I thought.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
This has a great picture but at costco when I bought mine the 58" oled samsung was about same price and had equal quality in picture but better sound I thought.
samsung doesn’t make OLEDs as far as I know. They have the QLED which Is different.

I’d never use the television speakers. As sets get thinner and thinner speakers get shittier and shittier

Reactions: rowjimmytour

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Samsung - makes QLED, UHD

LG - makes OLED, LED, UHD

Sony - makes OLED, LED

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
samsung doesn’t make OLEDs as far as I know. They have the QLED which Is different.

I’d never use the television speakers. As sets get thinner and thinner speakers get shittier and shittier
It was not qled and it 4k I think same tech and yes for movies use stereo but for general use do not like to bother

Jul 1, 2020
New South Wales Sydney
Yes, I bought a new TV recently, and now looking back, I can say that I've made a wonderful choice. When I just decided to buy a new TV, I've decided I want a smart TV, but you have no clue how difficult is it to choose which one to buy as there are so many options. Also, I've noticed that a certain TV can cost differently depending on the seller so make sure you choose the best option. I also met this problem, and it was very difficult to make the choice until I stumbled on a site that helped me compare the prices and identify who has the best option. If you are interested, you can check the site I am talking about by clicking on https://www.pricecheckhq.com/smart-tv/. Stay safe and have a wonderful day!.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2006
New England
I just picked up a Hisense (https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/h8g) for $375 and its been fantastic so far. I replaced a 2010 budget LCD TV so anything was going to look good in comparison. It runs on Android TV, which replaces the Roku that I had been using previously. Good app selection (really for me its just Youtube/Youtube TV, Disney+, Netflix, and Pandora), picture is fantastic. I ended up buying an after market pedestal stand since my TV stand wasn't wide enough for the stock legs, but otherwise I have 0 complaints. I'm also an android user in general, so it integrated well with the household cell phones for casting picture/audio.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Amazon Prime Day all pau already. However, Black "Friday" (which has already started) is on:

Btw, my friends work on quantum dot nanoparticles. Not sure how they are using it in TVs, but we activate ours with voltage, with different sized dots emitting different colors of light. Very efficient technology.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I forgot to add one very important thing about the LG that sucks.

Was watching tv one night when a message appeared on the screen. "xyz is trying connect to your TV (allow/deny)"

This pissed me off. Apparently the tv shows up on other people's devices in the neighborhood, as a device that can be connected to. Kind of like how people can see the name of your wifi-network.

Once again, LG software fails. No way to turn off this screen-connect/share feature of the TV, so it's always turned on, meaning other people in the neighborhood can always see it.

An official response from LG to someones complaint about this from 2017.

"Thank you for this information, it seems it may be from a neighbor or someone close by who is accessing their bluetooth settings and seeing the available connection with your Anynet+ settings. Unfortunately there is not a method to block the connection from others' view and the only option for keeping others from connecting is to continue denying the pop-up. Sorry for the inconvenience."

After a few months with my LG OLED this happened to me. Downstairs neighbor was having a party and I was watching the Shining on blu-ray from my PS4 and all of a sudden my tv automatically switched inputs to my appletv and I got a prompt that Manny Ramirez was trying to connect to my appletv and it had a confirmation code. I just switched the source back to my PS4 and it hasn't happened since. But if there really is no way to disable that feature it's pretty bad.

Reactions: Driftcoast and r32

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
What’s the best cheap one to go for?

I don’t want to spend more than $500, must be >42” and do hdr and whatever other hdr-like (Dolby?) formats are out there.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I've got a 65" LG OLED. The picture is insane, better than any movie theater. I haven't had wifi connection problems, but sometimes the sound does not work correctly. I would have to power it off completely, meaning unplug it since the power button is more like an idle button. Then whatever got corrupted in the audio chip is cleared out and it works normal. Also, make sure you upgrade your HDMI cables to the high bandwidth HDMI 2.1 versions. Otherwise you will not get the full HDR10+ or Dolby Vision from your bluray. I don't think the PS4 supports Dolby Vision so if you want that work you will need a bluray player that supports it like the Sony x700. Amazon prime has some stuff in HDR10+ and Disney+ has some stuff in Dolby Vision so you can watch the Mandalorian in all of its glory. You will know if Dolby Vision is working if you see the Dolby Vision logo pop up in the corner when the movie starts. It's really something on another level when you get the Dolby Vision working since there are no compression artifacts or color banding. It's like watching the movie played out in real life through your window. I would also recommend getting a legit 5.1.2 or more surround sound system with Dolby Atmos. Sound bars just don't cut it. I had to upgrade my receiver to the yamaha Rx-v685 to get dolby atmos, but im using a mix of speakers from bower wilkins sides and subwoofer, paradigm center and surrounds, and klipsch atmos speakers. If I was looking to get a new set of home theater speakers the entry level Klipsch atmos sets are great, no real reason to get anything super high end just for movies. My only regret now is not getting an 85" OLED instead.