Any ERBBr's switch jobs recently?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
stakes may be different or higher where our dear Brukuns lives. Maybe even a modestly comfortable middle class existence is precarious and rare enough in Brazil, so much so that job jumping isn’t the same there as it might be in one of the more thriving us cities or regions

, but maybe I’m also assuming too much
São Paulo is like the bastard child of Hunger Games and Blade Runner with a sprinkling of Oz (hbo series, not wizard). Not for the faint of heart :drowning:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yikes. Biggest beef I have with the city of LB is potholes and taxes. The occasional bike theft I guess…couple of drunks and druggies that loiter at the train station
sao paulo it is not

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Yikes. Biggest beef I have with the city if LB is potholes and taxes. The occasional bike theft I guess…couple of drunks and druggies that loiter at the train station
sao paulo it is not
Don’t get me wrong. It’s a super modern city. If you are on the main drag in SP you could think you are in Time Square, SF, Dubai, Tokyo etc. At least from a foreigners POV . . . Brukuns is probably :roflmao: at me right now :roflmao:

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I mean, @brukuns , are you dodging bullets on the way to the flower shop and chit? Gunfire all night long? Are the hookers and blow at least good and affordable?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I mean, @brukuns , are you dodging bullets on the way to the flower shop and chit? Gunfire all night long? Are the hookers and blow at least good and affordable?
From my experience it depends greatly on the neighborhood. I met a lot of Paulistas traveling through Brazil, most of whom would make you feel like the cretin mongoloid that you (and I) are. One chick I partied with a fair amount, and got close enough with to make her BF deservedly jealous, had a BF at the time who owned a high end restaurant in SP that must’ve been 5000+ square feet. Now she’s married to a dude that it seems like she’s been on permanent Euro vacay with for years. To say she was out of my league from a socioeconomic standpoint would be an understatement :drowning:

Reactions: brukuns and Subway

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Yikes. Biggest beef I have with the city of LB is potholes and taxes. The occasional bike theft I guess…couple of drunks and druggies that loiter at the train station
sao paulo it is not
Biggest beef I have with your town is trying to find parking for a sat am dawn patrol...especially on the eastside of town no parking anywhere early

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
stakes may be different or higher where our dear Brukuns lives. Maybe even a modestly comfortable middle class existence is precarious and rare enough in Brazil, so much so that job jumping isn’t the same there as it might be in one of the more thriving us cities or regions

, but maybe I’m also assuming too much
People hop between jobs all the time... I think it's really me. I was always like that... stay at the same job for over 5 years, then moving to a new one and been there for over 11 years. Could have played out fine if these were big companies, but not the case (big clients though Like Nestlé and Assurant, but that doesn't translate into a better paycheck).

Now with my kid I feel I have more drive and ambition but at the same time I have much more to lose.

Last edited:

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Yes. Can you sell? And move to NY? Can you move to NY and sell? Our product sells itself. You just gotta be better faster and more buttoned up than everyone else, both in house and out. You clearly have the brains and communication skills. The rest is just busy work and delegation and oversight

edit to admit that yes, a little subway charm doesn’t hurt either. People say I make what I do look easy. It feels easy, but it’s also stressful AF sometimes
I'm already looking for SP>NY tickets. When do I start? hahaha

Seriously, that would be rad, but I have no experience with sales, would be way riskier than switching to a different job in the same area around here which I'm already terrified of. hahahaha

But man, if you have something I could help with from a remote location to get a sense of things, it would likely be very cheap for you considering 1 USD is currently worth 6 BRLs :computer: (how's that for sales?!)

Yeah, it's all a bit tongue-in-cheek, but seriously, depending on the line of work I would be totally down and it could be beneficial to both ends of this.

• Haha

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I lived here my whole life... I was robbed twice, both as a kid... not at gunpoint... one of those times the robber actually offered me some pot to make up for stealing my cash... which I declined because I was 13. lol.

The one time I was robbed and chased and had to run for my life was in Santa Monica, on the boardwalk in front of muscle beach (OG). So it's all about wrong place, wrong time. Odds are much higher to get killed here in SP, but I drew the winning ticket in a 1st world city.

My whole life I have lived in a very good neighborhood, still do. That doesn't make me feel safe though since it's a target. As far as murder goes, yeah, where I live it's much safer than the areas surrounding the city... but robbery-homicide is a real concern.

Last edited:
  • Haha

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Don’t get me wrong. It’s a super modern city. If you are on the main drag in SP you could think you are in Time Square, SF, Dubai, Tokyo etc. At least from a foreigners POV . . . Brukuns is probably :roflmao: at me right now :roflmao:
Yeaaaah.... close but no cigar. I get you point though... but the devil is in the details... from the cities you've mentioned, the one I visited is SF... maybe, maaaaaybe some parts of São Paulo might be akin to the Tenderloin District. lol.

But I do get your point... It's easy to for get about this...
1643376609978.png
1643376630881.png

... When you live so close to this:
1643376419790.png
1643376449643.png
1643376485407.png

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I am still looking - a fellow er/bb hooked me up with some on line writing :jamon:

Looking for some other opportunities as well - looking to get things rolling by Oct (post surf season )

Any leads for on line work, please PM me.

Thanks
I’m in need of an associate with your qualifications but there’s travel involved. To Columbia then the Netherlands specifically. You’d be responsible for receiving the fine leather goods I’m importing from the the supplier in Medellin, and ensuring they make it to Amsterdam and clear customs.

Compensation is competitive.

• Haha

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
I’m in need of an associate with your qualifications but there’s travel involved. To Columbia then the Netherlands specifically. You’d be responsible for receiving the fine leather goods I’m importing from the the supplier in Medellin, and ensuring they make it to Amsterdam and clear customs.

Compensation is competitive.

I was on the Bogota - Prague route a few years back. I have good contacts and experience. Keep me posted!

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Are you relatively new to the teaching game? I ask, because most districts wouldn't let you transfer more than 5 years of experience (my district went up to I think 10 years recently). It sucks because after you work with a district long enough, you can really be stuck.

Anyway good luck with the change.

CCK
you ever think about switching to something outside teaching? I can compete tasks, hit deadlines and communicate like a mf with my colleagues and parents (elem sped 7 yrs in HI)but man more $ would be nice. wondering what it would transfer over to, seems like more and more are leaving profession and other careers are paying more and more. with a 2 yo the time off is sweet though and I'm at great school but always wonder.

centrlcoastkook

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 2, 2002
you ever think about switching to something outside teaching? I can compete tasks, hit deadlines and communicate like a mf with my colleagues and parents (elem sped 7 yrs in HI)but man more $ would be nice. wondering what it would transfer over to, seems like more and more are leaving profession and other careers are paying more and more. with a 2 yo the time off is sweet though and I'm at great school but always wonder.
I don't think you are asking me, but I'll respond anyway. Sure I think about doing stuff other than teaching all the time. I have enjoyed the job for the most part (high school social studies). But being a slave to the bell gets old. Having mid-morning surfs, or long lunches would sure be nice. The thing is I"ve been doing the job a long time. 23 years I think. 9 more school years and I'm out. I'm pretty sure I can make it.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
100% now - relocating in June and need an on line job. I have always dabbled in writing and have had things published in multiple magazines/newspapers, so will try to pursue something in that field.

However, I would take any job to make a few bucks to pay for boards and rice. My teaching job has been great, but things in the public education field are changing rapidly and I am grateful for my 25 year career, but ready to GTFO while still smiling.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Do you have to wait to draw on your STERS (Or PERS) pension?

I'm at 26 years teaching and I loved it but I have the sense that my time has passed. I think most people are done with teaching after 20 years.

My bosses are all 20 years younger than me and I know when they say stupid sh!t I have a look on my face like they are fucking idiots.

That's no good.

I still get along great with the kids.

At my school the admins gave the staff the old candy from the school shops that they didn't sell because we are teaching remotely. All the treats are ready to go off code next month. :roflmao:

The staff is like, REALLY? OFF CODE TWINKIES? FVCK YOU!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mr Doof