Any ERBBr's switch jobs recently?

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Any ERBBr's got any useful (remote) job searching advise?
I've been a private label (fashion accessories) vendor for large national chain for the last 10 years. My customer is expecting me to bear the burden of their increased shipping costs and work on no margin, it's actually worse because all the vendors owe back an allowance at the end of the year based on sales. Only real option at this point is to find something new.
Anyone been through the remote job search or hire someone recently have any bits of advice or wisdom? I almost feel like 10 years of self employment might be more of an obstacle than anything.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
from what I’ve learned from the recruiters in my circles is that 100% remote is the most requested thing out there right now, even over salary, annual bonus and RSU‘s.

there was a window of easily landing 100% remote career appointments during lock downs but that seems to have since passed. now they’re trying the hardest to get peeps to both accept the covid jab and come onsite.

if you have the jab or aren’t opposed, and are willing to show up onsite, there are plenty of jobs for the taking.

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
Starting a new job mid month as well. Had been searching pre pandemic then stayed put given all the uncertainty. This job kind of fell in my lap in some ways though. Been with my current organization for just over 7 years but was time to shake things up a bit. Going to work for a company I had done photo work and worked with in my current job, but in a completely new capacity.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Any ERBBr's got any useful (remote) job searching advise?
I've been a private label (fashion accessories) vendor for large national chain for the last 10 years. My customer is expecting me to bear the burden of their increased shipping costs and work on no margin, it's actually worse because all the vendors owe back an allowance at the end of the year based on sales. Only real option at this point is to find something new.
Anyone been through the remote job search or hire someone recently have any bits of advice or wisdom? I almost feel like 10 years of self employment might be more of an obstacle than anything.
Don't get hung up on having to stay in a certain industry. Think about what your "transferable skills" would be and look for work where you can use them.

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
if you have the jab or aren’t opposed, and are willing to show up onsite, there are plenty of jobs for the taking.
No issues here...The challenge is I'm moving in 6 months when my wife finally finishes her medical training, no idea where yet but almost anywhere will beat western PA.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
I've been looking for quite a while - after building up on business for10 years, then started a second that was operational for 2 years - I was surprised how hard it has been to find something - interviewed for a solid year in the tech field...no takers. Got lucky with some NFT trades and am casually working on the framework for a new business with some old colleagues. I'm not that old, late 30's, but it seems like my varied background and time in the workforce make me difficult to hire, hard to pin down. ...unfortunately never made FU money with our businesses...

Reactions: Yewstreet

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
No issues here...The challenge is I'm moving in 6 months when my wife finally finishes her medical training, no idea where yet but almost anywhere will beat western PA.
yep, that’s a difficult one to justify. either stay hush hush about it (you were thinking she’d get a job in the market you’re already in!) or wait out the move and try then.

if you agree to on-prem and they know you’re likely to change geographic locations in 6mobths or less, you’ll have a hard time getting past the recruiter level.

as for freelance vs corporate america, as long as you have concrete work experience examples and are an employable individual with no demands for remote work nor excessive pay over current expected scales, you shouldn’t have too much trouble landing a gig.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
can you just slog it out until then?

locking in something now could limit you then...at that point you are both free and clear to make ANY kind of move that's right for you

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
also, if my wife was finishing medical school, you should be talking sabbatical, comrade!!!

• Love
Reactions: sdsrfr

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
I just transitioned to a fully remote job, I love it. I found it through linkedin - recruiter shot me a message. Now I can usually surf whenever the best time window is

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
from what I’ve learned from the recruiters in my circles is that 100% remote is the most requested thing out there right now, even over salary, annual bonus and RSU‘s.
lolz

If reality is anything related to what I'm seeing anecdotally this kind of candidate would be a no-hire.

The majority I know, or have met, at this point seems willing to admit they're not as productive working from home.

The small minority of people that are productive from home tend to really productive, highly driven type that could just as easily come into the office. They don't really care either way. And if they request specifically to work from home it's not because they have hobbies like surfing, it's usually something family related.

I have a good friend whose significant other is a deputy D.A. for a major Southern CA city.

Since work from home cuz COVID started she's basically been on one long vacation. Rolls out of bed around 9 AM (or later if possible)... works a few hours a day...has done everything she can not to come in to work and not to have to come in person to court.

I not going to go further into the details ("Can we hurry this up your honor? I have a plane to catch."), but my buddy says since watching how little these people actually do it pisses him off he's working 52 hours a week to make half of what she does... while she's scratching her ass in her PJs all day long.

Apparently the idea has been floated to make WFH permanent and of course she's ALL about it.

Reactions: Havoc

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
lolz

If reality is anything related to what I'm seeing anecdotally this kind of candidate would be a no-hire.

The majority I know, or have met, at this point seems willing to admit they're not as productive working from home.

The small minority of people that are productive from home tend to really productive, highly driven type that could just as easily come into the office. They don't really care either way. And if they request specifically to work from home it's not because they have hobbies like surfing, it's usually something family related.

I have a good friend whose significant other is a deputy D.A. for a major Southern CA city.

Since work from home cuz COVID started she's basically been on one long vacation. Rolls out of bed around 9 AM (or later if possible)... works a few hours a day...has done everything she can not to come in to work and not to have to come in person to court.

I not going to go further into the details ("Can we hurry this up your honor? I have a plane to catch."), but my buddy says since watching how little these people actually do it pisses him off he's working 52 hours a week to make half of what she does... while she's scratching her ass in her PJs all day long.

Apparently the idea has been floated to make WFH permanent and of course she's ALL about it.
my new is gig is up to me wether i go in or not. i dont mind going in and agree with most of what you said but if no one else is going in to the office than theres no point for me to.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Med school, intern year, residency, fellowship...lots of moving. I've earned more than a sabbatical, thinking more along the lines of two weeks in tavarua
if you've done the sales ditty before, I'd suggest looking at jumping fields and looking for inside sales gigs at tech companies.

they are almost all remote based now...it's just about outbound activity levels...and if you do well, then you get bumped up to outside sales which can be doctor-competitive, salary-wise to keep wifey happy and will also get you a lot of schedule flexibility.

having been self-employed, carrying a bag before, puts you ahead of most of the people coming...but you might have to eat sh!t for a while to prove up...I think that's implied any time you jump fields, however.

Reactions: grapedrink

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
lolz

When I was teaching on Zoom, I just did a bunch of conferences because at least the kids could get some feedback on there drafts and they had to engage.

6 hours of conferencing on Zoom about shitty essays is really draining.

When I got to the last hour, I would have a monster energy drink with some tequila.

Remote is BS.

At least for moi

I bet there are people that it's really good for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr J