Any ERBBr's switch jobs recently?

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Working on remote is the greatest thing

I can't go back to on site, the tough part employers seem to want you remote within commuting range to the office.

Also, what the fuck is with hiring managers and recruiters not being able to give actual compensation info?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I can't go back to on site, the tough part employers seem to want you remote within commuting range to the office.

Also, what the fook is with hiring managers and recruiters not being able to give actual compensation info?
They try to get you to say your salary range first so they can bring you in as cheap as possible or rule you out if your pay is out-of-range. It's a negotiation tactic.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
What PRCD wrote. Especially these days.

I always ask for a range and will not back off until I get one at least verbally. I will simply say "I ask the question to be respectful of your time."

Yeah. Show me your cards, but there is no way I will show you mine....

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
I've been asking what range they have budgeted for the position, doesn't seem to work. Just make the $ known and not waste everyone's time

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I've been asking what range they have budgeted for the position, doesn't seem to work. Just make the $ known and not waste everyone's time
Then take your base pay and add 30-40% It's easier to bring someone in at higher pay than give them raises when in.

Reactions: santacruzin

centrlcoastkook

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 2, 2002
I'm starting the process of applying to teach in a new district. Newborn is inbound and a 60min morning- 75min return commute isn't the best use of time. Unfortunately, the public district close to home is a massive pay cut that won't be made up in commuting cost. If I can land something half as far with a relatively similar pay scale, I should be good.
Are you relatively new to the teaching game? I ask, because most districts wouldn't let you transfer more than 5 years of experience (my district went up to I think 10 years recently). It sucks because after you work with a district long enough, you can really be stuck.

Anyway good luck with the change.

CCK

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
What PRCD wrote. Especially these days.

I always ask for a range and will not back off until I get one at least verbally. I will simply say "I ask the question to be respectful of your time."
job i was interviewing at last week asked me what my i wanted my pay to be. I asked them , how much do you pay?

they told me - we went from there. pretty simple.

i started with another company a feww weeks ago. i had to re instate my union status. getting paid the most ive ever had, working the least hours since I had a part time job. its amazing.

im keeping my options open tho. should here back from a dif company this week and have another interview tomorow. its finally a workers job market. sh!t is going nuts right now!

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
I have never had more recruiter emails coming in. It's nonstop, like 10 a day the past week.

Hope the job searchers out there are finding the same. :shaka:

• Love
Reactions: CutnSnip

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Are you relatively new to the teaching game? I ask, because most districts wouldn't let you transfer more than 5 years of experience (my district went up to I think 10 years recently). It sucks because after you work with a district long enough, you can really be stuck.

Anyway good luck with the change.

CCK
Year 8 I think?
And yes, it gets tough to take the hit when they can't honor your time in another district.
Combine that with a district that pays more, or requires more to move over on the pay scale, or has a lower/slower top end of the salary scale, and you find yourself driving an hour+ to and from work. Hopefully I find something on the peninsula somewhere.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
Year 8 I think?
And yes, it gets tough to take the hit when they can't honor your time in another district.
Combine that with a district that pays more, or requires more to move over on the pay scale, or has a lower/slower top end of the salary scale, and you find yourself driving an hour+ to and from work. Hopefully I find something on the peninsula somewhere.
I am all the way over and all the way down on the scale - old timer

Check insurance rates for each district - my district is killing us w insurance rates - the % we pay is nuts

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah I work for a stable publicly traded company with good bennies but man does a lot of that come out of my paycheck. And I only have a spouse

Reactions: PRCD

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Yeah I work for a stable publicly traded company with good bennies but man does a lot of that come out of my paycheck. And I only have a spouse
this new gig has a flex plan where they deposit weekly, but not out of my gross which is super sweet. first couple checks had decent contributions that io guess im supposed to go get my own plan and this'll cover the premiums and then some. . i havent had health care in over a year so im pretty jazzed.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah that was definitely a whiny 1st world sh!t lord complaint I made. Most people would love decent health insurance even at several hundred bucks a month.

Reactions: CutnSnip

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Not for a fucking while (11 years). Got accommodated. good work environment, small company, I know no one's gonna fuck me over out of nowhere. But man, the pay is just not good enough. It's so scary to go after something that pays better when you know what you have is reliable and who knows if a new place is gonna dump you after 3 months...

starting to use my free time (home office has its advantages) to create a dropshipping store with a good friend of mine and my wife... low investment, low risk, lots of learning and some true potential, specially considering we can start importing our own sh!t once we feel we got the hang of it. And I don't have to dump my low pay but safe as fuck job to do so. (I already work with websites, my wife already works with ecommerce, my friend is already an importer... so dafuq let's do it).

Ready to put all of my potential profits in Crypto to watch it slowly melt, it's hypnotizing.

Still getting a bit sick of it and starting to get my resume ready and get into a "get a new job" vibe. I'm seriously sick of being low on cash and I don't want my my kid to pay for it. Any of you old carps hiring?

Reactions: PRCD and grapedrink

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yes. Can you sell? And move to NY? Can you move to NY and sell? Our product sells itself. You just gotta be better faster and more buttoned up than everyone else, both in house and out. You clearly have the brains and communication skills. The rest is just busy work and delegation and oversight

edit to admit that yes, a little subway charm doesn’t hurt either. People say I make what I do look easy. It feels easy, but it’s also stressful AF sometimes

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Not for a fucking while (11 years). Got accommodated. good work environment, small company, I know no one's gonna fook me over out of nowhere. But man, the pay is just not good enough. It's so scary to go after something that pays better when you know what you have is reliable and who knows if a new place is gonna dump you after 3 months...

starting to use my free time (home office has its advantages) to create a dropshipping store with a good friend of mine and my wife... low investment, low risk, lots of learning and some true potential, specially considering we can start importing our own sh!t once we feel we got the hang of it. And I don't have to dump my low pay but safe as fook job to do so. (I already work with websites, my wife already works with ecommerce, my friend is already an importer... so dafuq let's do it).

Ready to put all of my potential profits in Crypto to watch it slowly melt, it's hypnotizing.

Still getting a bit sick of it and starting to get my resume ready and get into a "get a new job" vibe. I'm seriously sick of being low on cash and I don't want my my kid to pay for it. Any of you old carps hiring?
Either way you’re on the right track. Diversify your income streams. Don’t rely on trading hours for dollars, nobody retires early doing that. Funnel your e-com profits into crypto and stonks. Mailbox money. Rinse and repeat.

The best defense against employer BS is having a side piece making money for you :beer:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
It's so scary to go after something that pays better when you know what you have is reliable and who knows if a new place is gonna dump you after 3 months...
gotta get over that man. these days you gotta hop around to get more $ and be confident in your self especially in this job market.

the gig i just left was a sure thing that coulda carried me into the golden years and onto retirement but i was leaving more money on the table andd my gut said it was time to switch things up. a couple good offers and prospects helped push me over the edge....and as soon as i bit a couple more oppurtunities presented themselves.

sounds cheesy but gotta believe in yourself. you kill it at this job, youll kill it at the next one.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
stakes may be different or higher where our dear Brukuns lives. Maybe even a modestly comfortable middle class existence is precarious and rare enough in Brazil, so much so that job jumping isn’t the same there as it might be in one of the more thriving us cities or regions

, but maybe I’m also assuming too much