American Values......

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I had a class discussion with a room full of juniors once around 10 years ago about this, the consensus was that America gives people the freedom and opportunity to be who they want to be, and often that means the freedom and opportunity to move up the socioeconomic ladder and get ahead. This is to them the American Dream. The ability to vote and pick your government also came up, as did personal freedom, responsibility to family and community, that sort of thing. Note, these were 90% Latino children of immigrants, spoke Spanish at home, and were mostly dirt-poor. Most of them now have bachelors degrees and have started their careers.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I heard a candidate for some NY office use this term today on Brian Lehrer.

What does this even mean anymore?
I'm not surprised you don't know what American values are.

You don't travel (this place is a full time job for you on top of your teaching job) so it's probably hard for you to recognize...you can't really make any comparisons.

Reactions: GromsDad

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

You don't travel (this place is a full time job for you on top of your teaching job) so it's probably hard for you to recognize...you can't really make any comparisons.
What American values are different than Swedish? Or German or Irish?

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009

what are American values?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
what are American values?
They mostly revolve around individualism. This country was founded with the individual in mind first and foremost.

Further, this is a young nation made up of immigrant groups, further deepening the orientation toward the individual. Because of our mass immigration we have no real history and often lack connection to family.

Say versus German values?

Americans value the individual, Germans value being a good citizen.
Americans individualize rules and laws, Germans value strict rule following
etc

Your wife is Brazilian, right? You should know better.

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I had a class discussion with a room full of juniors once around 10 years ago about this, the consensus was that America gives people the freedom and opportunity to be who they want to be, and often that means the freedom and opportunity to move up the socioeconomic ladder and get ahead. This is to them the American Dream. The ability to vote and pick your government also came up, as did personal freedom, responsibility to family and community, that sort of thing. Note, these were 90% Latino children of immigrants, spoke Spanish at home, and were mostly dirt-poor. Most of them now have bachelors degrees and have started their careers.
That's pretty great. Best response so far.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
They mostly revolve around individualism. This country was founded with the individual in mind first and foremost.

Further, this is a young nation made up of immigrant groups, further deepening the orientation toward the individual. Because of our mass immigration we have no real history and often lack connection to family.

Say versus German values?

Americans value the individual, Germans value being a good citizen.
Americans individualize rules and laws, Germans value strict rule following
etc

Your wife is Brazilian, right? You should know better.
Nailed it

• Haha
Reactions: manbearpig

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
i think you both might be engaging in more than a little bit of revisionists' history/clownery.

Theres plenty of evidence of empirical collectivism in the constitution and in the founding of America.
That's an entirely different debate.

Anyhow, I answered your question - individualism is the core of American values.

For better or for worse.

That isn't the case in most other places.

A Constitution based on negative rights further ingrained an individualist attitude.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
i think you both might be engaging in more than a little bit of revisionists' history/clownery.

Theres plenty of evidence of empirical collectivism in the constitution and in the founding of America.
all the "rugged individual" stuff is way past tense - the stuff of mythology, at this point. the day when you could strike out on your own and stake a claim, clear a field, build a house, make a life etc etc without existing in the greater framework of American society are long over. we are to a great extent, mutually dependent on each other and society to function - clinging to romantic notions of a life that is no longer possible is not realistic and those values are wildly impractical. and the only people who think they can are auditioning for reality tv shows. sorry guys, you really didn't build that all by your self, it really does take a village etc etc.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
all the "rugged individual" stuff is way past tense - the stuff of mythology, at this point. the day when you could strike out on your own and stake a claim, clear a field, build a house, make a life etc etc without existing in the greater framework of American society are long over. we are to a great extent, mutually dependent on each other and society to function - clinging to romantic notions of a life that is no longer possible is not realistic and those values are wildly impractical. and the only people who think they can are auditioning for reality tv shows. sorry guys, you really didn't build that all by your self, it really does take a village etc etc.
I'm pretty sure that was always a myth. People lived in villages and built cities pretty much as soon as America became a thing.

I think my favorite American myth is the rugged individualist cowboy myth.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Well individualism is certainly baked into our American ethos, but more and more individuals are becoming flaming assholes every year, and at some point they're going to attain critical mass.

So there's that.

Reactions: hal9000