Am I an Arsehole for having a fire in the fireplace in 2020?

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Better, but not necessary, if you don't mind losing some conditioned air up the chimney. But for a total seal, you do need to close the glass doorsView attachment 85231
That is rad.

Got a couple questions for you.

So are Mantles a thing of the past? Do your customers ask for them or is it just design dependent?

The gas line bibb/socket on the floor. You didn't want to break up the flow on the front? I guess good idea.

I’m guessing the chimney cap pull down loop is that center ring? Nice placement instead of the side which would have ruined that rad brick work.

Is there an inside draw vent? how do you open and close it.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
unrelated:

• 5 years ago wife bought a puppy off craigsist. at the time we didnt know there were dirtbag assholes inbreeding dogs that have really fucked up joints. so now we have a super sweet dog that needs $8,000 of surgeries and she will still be all fuucked up. i'd like to find the breeders and saw off their legs

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
My The feral cat #1 won't let me 50 feet away from him but will often sit under my truck for warmth after I park. It's the only heat he'll ever get. I have to use a trail cam just to see what he looks like close-up.

cat.png

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Aruka and afoaf

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Just get a portable heater and put it in front of your TV while watching this for 10 hours:

Small carbon footprint, minimal chance of burning down your house, and the crackling sounds are cool.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
That is rad.

Got a couple questions for you.

So are Mantles a thing of the past? Do your customers ask for them or is it just design dependent?

The gas line bibb/socket on the floor. You didn't want to break up the flow on the front? I guess good idea.

I’m guessing the chimney cap pull down loop is that center ring? Nice placement instead of the side which would have ruined that rad brick work.

Is there an inside draw vent? how do you open and close it.
Mantels are cool. It's just design dependant. In this particular one, it would have taken away from the tile work. It also really depends on the overall design. Rustic/ Craftsman a mantle is a must. Modern not so much.

Yes the gas ring is on the floor. On the wall is more noticible.

The pull ring is the damper tok close off the chimney. I've never seen an operating vent at the chimney top.

Here's the other one from the same house032.jpg031.jpg

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
can you trap and fix?
They (2 males) were trapped and introduced and broken in to the property. I’m pretty sure they were fixed. Their coyote dodging abilities and natural instinct to run or chill when certain wildlife is around amazes me. They get a bowl of food per week, always have water, and eat mice, rats, gophers and rabbits like crazy. Then they torture the poor lizards for fun.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
feral cats are a trip

it's interesting to see how socialization with humans can completely
change their nature.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I had a feral cat for almost 17 years and she was the sweetest. Definitely had her instincts but she was such a great cat. Just lost her a couple of months ago.

• Sad
Reactions: Aruka

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
they can be prolific killers
Feral cats killed our domesticated cat that was about 10 years old. They run in large packs (clowders?) in the quieter parts of North County (Vista). Once they discovered that our cat was eating like a king, they full court pressed our house until they were able to lure him away. The trippy part was that once they killed him, we never saw another feral cat in our yard.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I have seen some mean motherfkrs, but never a whole posse

that's gnarly

sorry about your cat

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Are you freaking kidding me?
It sort of makes sense in a city as dense as SF certain times of the year. Yet if you're homeless you can gather round a trashcan fire full of wood, newspapers, burlap and plastics anytime. :shaka: