Alex Botelho Suing WSL Over Nazare Contest

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
He is suing because the WSL promised certain safety features and never followed through with supplying those features.

Imagine it this way:

Your kid is in a high school surf contest where it was established a certain level of lifesaving ability was to be provided for the competitors...but unbeknownst to you it was never provided...and your kid ended up in the ICU because he drowned.

I would imagine if you wanted to sue you would have a case.
Sorry, my kids all surfed contests from the time they were 6 or 7 years on and there is never an expectation that the contest organizers are responsible to prevent an unfortunate ACCIDENT. News Flash.........SURFING CAN BE DANGEROUS!!!!! THERE IS A CHANCE YOU COULD DIE EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PADDLE OUT!!!!!!

Reactions: LifeOnMars

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Sorry, my kids all surfed contests from the time they were 6 or 7 years on and there is never an expectation that the contest organizers are responsible to prevent an unfortunate ACCIDENT. News Flash.........SURFING CAN BE DANGEROUS!!!!! THERE IS A CHANCE YOU COULD DIE EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU PADDLE OUT!!!!!!
Yawn.

Once again, that really has nothing to do with why he's suing.

If you're going to comment, at least be familiar with what you're commenting about.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Lawsuits are bummer.

Only the lawyers don't loose.
they should meat face to face and mediate out of court, pretty sure all the guy wants is an easy payday.

I'm thinking he'd probably settle for less than 250k considering the average earnings of a low ranking relatively unknown "big wave" surfer

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
One of the students at my sister's school got kicked and she said she got a broken foot. She and the parents were going for a payday.

So during recess and PE, my sister made her sit and watch while other kids played.

By day three, the kid couldn't take it anymore.

Suddenly she dropped her crutches and was cured and wanted to go back to playing again.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
And didn’t he get rescued? Is he suing because he didn’t get rescued good enough???

Big wave surfing is confusing
He is suing because the WSL did not fulfill their obligations negotiated by the competitors...further it somewhat appears the WSL never actually attempted to fulfill some of those obligations, not making it known until the midnight hour. And according to Botehlo's lawsuit he was not made aware to what extent they were not fulfilling their obligations.

Sort of a bait n switch thing.

Classic case of someone getting injured then months later still laid up and miserable starts looking at all the aspects they feel the property owner/event organizer/teacher was "neglectful in duty of care".

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
One of the students at my sister's school got kicked and she said she got a broken foot. She and the parents were going for a payday.

So during recess and PE, my sister made her sit and watch while other kids played.

By day three, the kid couldn't take it anymore.

Suddenly she dropped her crutches and was cured and wanted to go back to playing again.
It's pretty pathetic.

Parents are so sue happy these days.

My wife has had at least 3 lawsuits over her 15 years of teaching.

It's so bad in some public school systems that running during recess is prohibited.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Lawsuits are bummer.

Only the lawyers don't loose.
The courts encourage this kind of stuff.

Personal responsibility isn't a thing... it's almost like the court assumes the victim is stupid and irresponsible and therefore is owed damages because everyone else should know how stupid and irresponsible everyone else is.

Take for instance slip n fall.

You know how a pair of flip flops get worn soles and can slide like ice on a wet surface...despite normal shoes being fine?

Let's say you wear those flip flops on a rainy day and end up slipping, falling, and breaking your arm at the entrance to Ralph's. The employees come to help you off your ass and you tell them you're an idiot for wearing those flip flops out in the rain because you know they're slippery as a mofo when it's wet.

You'd still have a winner of a court case - especially if a slip test is failed - because the court assumes people don't choose footwear based on how much traction they provide.

Ralph's telling the court the slip 'n faller explicitly knew he was wearing dangerous footwear isn't considered relevant.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
It's pretty pathetic.

Parents are so sue happy these days.

My wife has had at least 3 lawsuits over her 15 years of teaching.

It's so bad in some public school systems that running during recess is prohibited.
Parasitism is a viable survival strategy in nature.

That it would express itself in the social envinement seems inevitable.

It really needs to be socialized out of the individual.

Even then the call of nature is strong.

I try not to be a parasite.

I've gotten better as I got older but I also have accumulated more resources so that makes it easier to fight the impulse.

If anyone would like to contribute to my gofundme account . . . .

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
He is suing because the WSL did not fulfill their obligations negotiated by the competitors...further it somewhat appears the WSL never actually attempted to fulfill some of those obligations, not making it known until the midnight hour. And according to Botehlo's lawsuit he was not made aware to what extent they were not fulfilling their obligations.

Sort of a bait n switch thing.

Classic case of someone getting injured then months later still laid up and miserable starts looking at all the aspects they feel the property owner/event organizer/teacher was "neglectful in duty of care".
Pro surfing always had the creepy carny aspect to it.

Couple that with its inherent danger.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
The accusations in the lawsuit are pretty serious.

Competitors are likely declining to speak on the topic likely because Botehlo's accusations are true.

It seems the cornerstone of his argument is that a jet ski shadow was never provided and additional lifesaving support that was promised not only never happened, but no attempt was made to make it happen.
I think maybe this case will be decided over whether or not those “promises” were actually made in the first place.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I think maybe this case will be decided over whether or not those “promises” were actually made in the first place.
According to the suit the original safety plan was "deemed unsatisfactory by virtually every surfer invited to participate in the event".

According to the suit this stuff was explicitly worked out via email and further these safety provisions were stated in the WSL Information Kit distributed to competitors.

The suit is worth a read. Actually quite interesting.

:shrug: