Alex Botelho Suing WSL Over Nazare Contest

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
These Brazzos love to cry when things don't go their way :cry:

Surfing big waves in a spot near jagged rocks and high cliffs is extremely dangerous

who would have thunk? :roflmao:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
These Brazzos love to cry when things don't go their way :cry:

Surfing big waves in a spot near jagged rocks and high cliffs is extremely dangerous

who would have thunk? :roflmao:
That's not the story.

WSL basically pulled the safety rug out from under competitors at the last minute.

The competitors were sold a bill of goods.

They were basically totally full of sh!t and led competitors along knowing that at the last minute - when the waiting, the travel time, the travel money, and the sponsorship dollars were at stake - few if any competitors would walk.

I'd be willing to bet this is more about a history of ruthless manipulation of competitors by the WSL and there's way more to the story than what we're hearing.

If they didn't have their sh!t together at Nazare - their pinnacle event - I can't imagine what's going at other events.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
That's not the story.

WSL basically pulled the safety rug out from under competitors at the last minute.

The competitors were sold a bill of goods.
neat, I only watch the highlights of the men's events usually

hardly never of any of the big wave stuff unless it's jaws

surfing big waves is dangerous, especially when sharp rocks and high cliffs come into play.

WSL had jet skis in the water so they didn't leave him "helpless"

gotta pay to play, Greg Long and Billy Kemper almost died too

The little brazzo crybaby has to sack up and heal up if he wants to see any paychecks in the future

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
neat, I only watch the highlights of the men's events usually

hardly never of any of the big wave stuff unless it's jaws

surfing big waves is dangerous, especially when sharp rocks and high cliffs come into play.

WSL had jet skis in the water so they didn't leave him "helpless"

gotta pay to play, Greg Long and Billy Kemper almost died too

The little brazzo crybaby has to sack up and heal up if he wants to see any paychecks in the future
So in other words, you don't know what happened.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
accidents happen, to think he would have been better off with more skis in the water is comical.
he was stuck in the impact zone and they hit a wave launching them in the air.
how many ski accidents have there been over the years? many
guy got washed into the beach and revived ASAP
if he don't want to risk the chance of dying on the job it's time to find another career path

• Wow
Reactions: Chocki

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
accidents happen, to think he would have been better off with more skis in the water is comical.
he was stuck in the impact zone and they hit a wave launching them in the air.
The only clip I've seen is the WSL footage that is edited leaving out much of what happened.

Do you have a link to the unedited footage?

how many ski accidents have there been over the years? many
guy got washed into the beach and revived ASAP
if he don't want to risk the chance of dying on the job it's time to find another career path
That's not why he's suing.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
In hindsight, it's not your fault. You are american afterall. :dancing:
agreed, just my past experiences with brazzos. all nice and friendly on land but in the water the most aggro and overhyped bunch, and if they felt like they were somehow wronged they would lose their sh!t faster than most. have met probably 10 or so in all my years of surf travel that weren't like that. stereotypes exist for a reason, often times because there's some truth behind them.

• Haha
Reactions: brukuns

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
agreed, just my past experiences with brazzos. all nice and friendly on land but in the water the most aggro and overhyped bunch, and if they felt like they were somehow wronged they would lose their sh!t faster than most. have met probably 10 or so in all my years of surf travel that weren't like that. stereotypes exist for a reason, often times because there's some truth behind them.
I'm sorry this is happening to you.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I'm extremely chill in the water. Like, way more than I'm supposed to. use that to dollar cost average that frame. :LOL:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
SOmeone help me sift through the legal dribble.

Is he suing because he surfed big waves and was expecting to get rescued?
He is suing because the WSL promised certain safety features and never followed through with supplying those features.

Imagine it this way:

Your kid is in a high school surf contest where it was established a certain level of lifesaving ability was to be provided for the competitors...but unbeknownst to you it was never provided...and your kid ended up in the ICU because he drowned.

I would imagine if you wanted to sue you would have a case.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
He is suing because the WSL promised certain safety features and never followed through with supplying those features.

Imagine it this way:

Your kid is in a high school surf contest where it was established a certain level of lifesaving ability was to be provided for the competitors...but unbeknownst to you it was never provided...and your kid ended up in the ICU because he drowned.

I would imagine if you wanted to sue you would have a case.
No. If my kid wasn't ready to survive the conditions of a high school surf contest, id take his boards and be there on the sand waiting to make sure he didn't borrow one from someone. If he drowned, it would be his fault, my fault, etc, not the fault of some jerkoff event organizer who has nada to do with nature, nor my kid's ability to survive in the ocean.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The accusations in the lawsuit are pretty serious.

Competitors are likely declining to speak on the topic likely because Botehlo's accusations are true.

It seems the cornerstone of his argument is that a jet ski shadow was never provided and additional lifesaving support that was promised not only never happened, but no attempt was made to make it happen.

• Haha
Reactions: r32

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
No. If my kid wasn't ready to survive the conditions of a high school surf contest, id take his boards and be there on the sand waiting to make sure he didn't borrow one from someone. If he drowned, it would be his fault, my fault, etc, not the fault of some jerkoff event organizer who has nada to do with nature, nor my kid's ability to survive in the ocean.
I'm not saying you would sue.

I'm saying you'd have a case.

• Haha
Reactions: r32