Alcoholism and Recovery Thread

Jack-the-Ripper

OTF status
Feb 10, 2023
20 years sober yesterday. For me I owe it to AA. Funny other than those who actually quit drinking on their own there still doesn't seem to be a better way of doing it. That first meeting sitting there with people who all knew and understood exactly what I was going through. You can't have these conversations with people who aren't alcoholics. Social support is a big deal especially when most of your friends and family drink. I needed that.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Been my stress relief for years and would never stop at one. Picked up a DUI last year, which was probably inevitable at some point, and have almost finished my penance. Sitting in the holding cell after intake gave me time to think about a lot of sh!t. Most of my friends and I drank pretty heavily through late teens, 20s, and 30s but the ones who still drank heavily are either dead, have mental/physical issues, or are not highly successful at life let's say. And it definitely wasn't a positive for my marriage. Some health issues were cropping up too. Enough was pretty much enough at that point. I didn't drink every day but once I cracked one, they'd keep cracking until the day was done. I don't do anything half-assed.

Been almost 8 months off the sauce and so far so good. Many temptations along the way but so far, it's easy to abstain as I am much, much healthier than before. It's a shame the surf went to absolute sh!t for several months but running was a good alternative. It used to be that I would need 2-3 days after to recover and no way was I surfing the day after running even 3-4 miles. Recovery time now is like being on steroids; feels damn good and out-of-body surreal what my body is apparently capable of doing - always had a lot of endurance but never much of a runner so building all that leg muscle almost from scratch. Am on the way to being in really damn good shape. I am still chasing dragons but this one is fun and I've barely sighted its tail.

Sleep is a little harder; I have some pretty bad insomnia from time to time especially if there's stress in the air.

Sugar cravings were crazy at first but that tapered off. Not in time for the kid's Halloween/Xmas candy stash to avoid getting pillaged, though.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
How much were you drinking when you quit?

I like to ask ex drinkers this question.

The typical response is 3 bottle of wine.

That is a lot of wine.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I was never an alcoholic, but beer for me was like a daily vitamin- had to have that one cold one after work. And that was it pretty much. Sometimes a glass of wine with dinner. When I got diagnosed with a heart issue a few years ago, one suggestion was to eliminate alcohol. That's when I realized I was addicted to that one-a-day beer. I would crave it.

I've taken to drinking non-alcoholic beer and after the initial disgust I've gotten used to it. I know that it's not the answer for alcoholics, but it works for me.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
I was never an alcoholic, but beer for me was like a daily vitamin- had to have that one cold one after work. And that was it pretty much. Sometimes a glass of wine with dinner. When I got diagnosed with a heart issue a few years ago, one suggestion was to eliminate alcohol. That's when I realized I was addicted to that one-a-day beer. I would crave it.

I've taken to drinking non-alcoholic beer and after the initial disgust I've gotten used to it. I know that it's not the answer for alcoholics, but it works for me.
It's like a $10B industry rn

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Had to look that up but yeah. Hopefully so far so good - not really pining or fiending for booze at all, even if it's around me and everyone else is partaking.
It's less about the actual drinking and more about alcoholic thinking. There's some real mental gymnastics involved - rationalization, fear, self pity, extreme selfishness (though most don't think so). The AAs call it "self will run riot," and it continues after the drinking has stopped.

Reactions: kawika and JTS

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Been my stress relief for years and would never stop at one. Picked up a DUI last year, which was probably inevitable at some point, and have almost finished my penance. Sitting in the holding cell after intake gave me time to think about a lot of sh!t. Most of my friends and I drank pretty heavily through late teens, 20s, and 30s but the ones who still drank heavily are either dead, have mental/physical issues, or are not highly successful at life let's say. And it definitely wasn't a positive for my marriage. Some health issues were cropping up too. Enough was pretty much enough at that point. I didn't drink every day but once I cracked one, they'd keep cracking until the day was done. I don't do anything half-assed.

Been almost 8 months off the sauce and so far so good. Many temptations along the way but so far, it's easy to abstain as I am much, much healthier than before. It's a shame the surf went to absolute sh!t for several months but running was a good alternative. It used to be that I would need 2-3 days after to recover and no way was I surfing the day after running even 3-4 miles. Recovery time now is like being on steroids; feels damn good and out-of-body surreal what my body is apparently capable of doing - always had a lot of endurance but never much of a runner so building all that leg muscle almost from scratch. Am on the way to being in really damn good shape. I am still chasing dragons but this one is fun and I've barely sighted its tail.

Sleep is a little harder; I have some pretty bad insomnia from time to time especially if there's stress in the air.

Sugar cravings were crazy at first but that tapered off. Not in time for the kid's Halloween/Xmas candy stash to avoid getting pillaged, though.

You get to the point in your marathon training where you are doing the long runs, 20+ miles, and then the medium ones, 15 miles or so, become really easy. That's when you feel the runner's high, like your baody is a well tuned machine. That high is better than the alcohol buzz.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
It's less about the actual drinking and more about alcoholic thinking. There's some real mental gymnastics involved - rationalization, fear, self pity, extreme selfishness (though most don't think so). The AAs call it "self will run riot," and it continues after the drinking has stopped.
That conniving reptilian brain would occasionally plot at first - self-awareness was key with a STFU evil brain message firmly sent in response.

Reactions: tenover

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
That conniving reptilian brain would occasionally plot at first - self-awareness was key with a STFU evil brain message firmly sent in response.
Yes -- it's like the Komoto dragon that nips its prey then follows it around for a few weeks waiting for the infection to take it down. Subtly directing the RAS, awaiting the moment of weakness and vulnerability.

Reactions: Kento

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
i ain't drank or drugged since 96. almost 27 years. i know a couple of things, and i keep learning more. if any of you ever need a nudge or more, in the right direction, send me a message. a few of you have done so for various reasons. i like doing it, and it keeps me busy. wherever you fit, whatever you need, there's a plan for you. we just have to figure it out.

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego

They have to be real cold for me...I like the Becks NA and the Athletic Brewing NA beers. The lite one is really good ice cold...will be my summer day beer if summer ever comes...

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
6 years for me, never a classic alcoholic just hung on college style binge drinking for too long, once consequences started accruing it came down to a cost/benefit thing. Still miss HH with the boys but if drinking is causing you issues it will only get worse if you keep at it. Best of luck to anybody trying to quit and congrats to those who have.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
They have to be real cold for me...I like the Becks NA and the Athletic Brewing NA beers. The lite one is really good ice cold...will be my summer day beer if summer ever comes...
The Coronas are very beer like. I was like WTF this is BEER...
Erdingers are super good also