Alcoholism and Recovery Thread

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
Athletic IPAs in the blue can and Hazys in the orange are the only NA beers I've found that replace the taste. Other than that, I make it a point of pride to walk in to any social gathering these days with an 8 pack of Spindrifts. The highest class of seltzers.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I like a mix of 50/50 orange juice and topo chico with a generous splash of cider vinegar. For some reason that hits me in the same place as a beer even though it tastes nothing like a beer.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
I have 16 months without a drink this week...crazy to think of, but when I hit 35 it just wasn't fun anymore (had a bunch of heavy sh!t going on and coped the wrong way for a while). The first year is tough, but I'm enjoying life in "retirement", albeit I do miss day drinking sometimes.

My relationships, mental clarity, fitness, surfing, fishing, travel and career have all seen the benefits - just feel more dialed in and comfortable overall. Congrats on 20 years, that's a big deal!

Last edited:

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Not an alcoholic, but my mom is. I moved out of my parents’ house 20 years ago. Generally speaking, our relationship has gotten much better as we’ve gotten older despite her inability to get sober. It’s much easier to make peace when you’re not under the same roof.

one of the most challenging aspects for me is embracing my own free will — accepting that my life is what I make it — alongside this idea that her alcoholism and my childhood was wildly unhealthy and rife with problems.

all of this has welled up in potent waves lately as I’m a brand new father, and my mom is going to be meeting my son for the first time next week.

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I hope my whisky thread isn't offensive or harmful to anyone in here. Say the word and I'll take it down.
Don't cave to the zealots.

Most reformed boozers I know may not like to be around alcohol, but they're human enough to understand the nature of things and are live and let live types (who totally will help you quit booze if you ask for help).

PS
AA saved some of my friends by putting them on the better path (Rational Recovery for others) or was enough to get them over the 'out of control' phase to where they could quit on their own and start choosing better friends/situations. By all that is unholy (or holy), thanks for existing AA.

Last edited:

JTS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 22, 2004
Great to hear so many have found sobriety . Congratulations to all on the path

I’ve been sober since the end of 1990, over half my life now. Sobriety has improved my life and allowed me to do many things I probably never would have been able to do if I was still drinking and using.
AA was the tool I used , but not the only way - I feel whatever helps you to deal with the addiction and any underlying stuff is great, find what works for you!
AA talks about spiritual, mental and physical aspects of addiction- but reality only addresses the first 2. I’ve found physical practices have definitely helped me ( yoga, powerlifting, BJJ) Some guys I know really embraced LD running and Triathlons. Since starting BJJ 6 years ago, I’ve been amazed at how many people I’ve met who use the mats to help them stay sober.
I’ve never met anyone who regretted getting sober
Jim