Album Surfboards

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
When the waves are crap, I want to be on something fun and fast. This is my fav for that. This board paddles into the smallest lumps with that chunky wide straight tail block and generates lots of speed easily. It wears a bit of a disguise with that little flip in the nose sticking out the water, but trust me it kills in small surf. I also had a xtr gremlin I liked alot as a twin + trailer or quad. Worked very well also. The gremlin was more consistent, great for coming off my other pyzels & surfing similarly, but in the end I kept the Akila since it was the one that motivated me to surf more on those days.

Its next to me at the moment, so you guys get a sexy sofa pic

akila_cfish.jpg

Jan 2, 2024
Maui
When the waves are crap, I want to be on something fun and fast. This is my fav for that. This board paddles into the smallest lumps with that chunky wide straight tail block and generates lots of speed easily. It wears a bit of a disguise with that little flip in the nose sticking out the water, but trust me it kills in small surf. I also had a xtr gremlin I liked alot as a twin + trailer or quad. Worked very well also. The gremlin was more consistent, great for coming off my other pyzels & surfing similarly, but in the end I kept the Akila since it was the one that motivated me to surf more on those days.

Its next to me at the moment, so you guys get a sexy sofa pic

View attachment 172821
Ever pop a trailer in and see how it feels twin + 1? Paint job on it looks great.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Ever pop a trailer in and see how it feels twin + 1? Paint job on it looks great.
It works great with a trailer. I stick one in sometimes when the conditions are rough to help stabilize it some or when I've been on thrusters for a while. Its not the easiest board to hop on randomly for a day. Takes some adjustment, but in between swells it is a lot of fun without the trailer once you get your feet under you.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
It works great with a trailer. I stick one in sometimes when the conditions are rough to help stabilize it some or when I've been on thrusters for a while. Its not the easiest board to hop on randomly for a day. Takes some adjustment, but in between swells it is a lot of fun without the trailer once you get your feet under you.
Rode mine yesterday! :shaka:

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Last spring, I wanted to dial in my shortboard thruster. Like many of you, I wasn't considering Album for this type of board.

I interacted with Stamps, got a nice mini quiver. He was absolutely great to deal with. The Stamps Flare remains one of the best small wave shortboards (will never get rid of this board). The GrinderX - also good board, very similar to the CI Everyday. The Blindspot also very good board. The Stamps FX didn't care for. I also picked up a custom Arakawa Jackpot - again great experience. I also found deal on CC OP3. I got a local shaper custom - rockered pointy nose, kind of based on the CI Pro but for our waves. Along the way, I grabbed a Freewing and then VBSM.

Stamps board are solid workhorse boards that work - can't go wrong. The Flare is magic.

I would say the VBSM has similar magic to the Flare, especially for everyday waves. A lot volume is integrated into the VBSM, but it is balanced.

Freewing and VSBM, they surf a bit differently to a true standard shortboard, yet I feel they still have good performance, but are relatively easier. Especially for everyday conditions. I felt like these boards also carried more speed. I prefer to surf a shortboard, as love that feel. Many mornings I am first one in the water so I can get away with surfing a shortboard, but as the sun rises, most people are paddling out midlengths, so these type of shortboards allow me to compete easier when it gets crowded.

I believe there are simiarities between the pyzel red tiger and the Freewing, as well as differences. I haven't surfed a red tiger but I have looked at them closely.

Biases - yes, I am Album fanboi and enjoy my relationship with Matt. I think my biases developed from surfing his boards before going down the thruster rabbit hole, inherently enjoyed these boards more. If you like how the Album alternatives feel, you might be surprised by his thruster. While I really enjoy the 5' 10" Freewing, I don't care for the 5' 8" Freewing owing to the tail feeling blocky tail, it feels unbalanced.

For the true high-performance shortboard - it was between Arakawa, OP3 and local shaper. I preferred the local shaper, had the right elements for performance as well as ease that lets my surfing progress more. The OP3 was the most electric, but it needs a good wave, and the sizing was off for me. Arakawa was solid, high performance, but was missing that it factor.

For most days, the VBSM and Freewing work well, and they have been my go-to boards, until recently getting the Disorder. I surfed Freewing this morning and it was awesome.
Who’s the local shaper?

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
@j_mac what didn't you like about the FX? how did it grovel?
I don't want to take away from Stamps, but I didn't jive with this board. It was pretty wide for its length, yet had a performance element to it with rails and lowish volume. It almost felt like it needed a better wave, and if the wave was better this wasn't the board I wanted to surf. I prefer to ride the Flare over the FX. I know other folks enjoy the FX, I sold it to @tomminator123 and he really likes it.

Reactions: oeste858 and Aruka

tomminator123

OTF status
Dec 22, 2017
I don't want to take away from Stamps, but I didn't jive with this board. It was pretty wide for its length, yet had a performance element to it with rails and lowish volume. It almost felt like it needed a better wave, and if the wave was better this wasn't the board I wanted to surf. I prefer to ride the Flare over the FX. I know other folks enjoy the FX, I sold it to @tomminator123 and he really likes it.
I love that board, it’s my go to when it’s small and gutless. It feels pretty similar to my banjo but grovels way better, especially backside. Ive ridden it on low tide racey days and it felt harder to control. Goes to show how subjective surfboards can be!

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
@Goofy_Footed 's disappearing message - haha - worst surf conditions for VSBM and Freewing
I have surfed the VBSM in summer conditions in waist-chest wind swell and had a good time. I have also surfed in similar conditions with the Freewing, and less fun.

The VBSM and Freewing have similar lowish entry rockers and are slightly lower than Stamps, which are also Cali boards. The Freewing has a slightly larger exit rocker relative to the VBSM and is similar to or less than Stamps. They have similar bottom contours, but the Freewings' are more significant. The VBSM has a beaked nose and wider outline, especially in the back half of the board. Freewing doesn't have a beaked nose, and you really notice the pulled rear, which also narrows with the wing. Though the volumes are supposedly similar, the VBSM feels like it has more float that I benefit from. If the waves are right, I prefer to surf the Freewing. If I didn't know the conditions, the VBSM would provide a good time.

Overly generalized statements with sprinkles of truth in them
The Freewing feels like the performance version of the VBSM.
The VSBM is like the thruster version of the BomDia, though the BomDia has more rocker.
The Freewing is like the thruster version of the Disorder, again with more rocker.

I also have a VBSM step-up, narrower round tail - the VBSM model works very well for this type of board for getting in early, etc.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Goofy_Footed