Album Surfboards

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
5' 8"x18 7/8"x2.38"
Would love to hear how it goes.

I had a wider than stock 5’11 and sold it after a couple of surfs, had a narrower than stock 6’0 round pin that I sold quick as well (and subsequently saw it pop up on Craigslist several times by different sellers (the Taylor swift of surfboards)).

I now have a stock 5’11 dark arts that I like a lot.

Reactions: j_mac

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Would love to hear how it goes.

I had a wider than stock 5’11 and sold it after a couple of surfs, had a narrower than stock 6’0 round pin that I sold quick as well (and subsequently saw it pop up on Craigslist several times by different sellers (the Taylor swift of surfboards)).

I now have a stock 5’11 dark arts that I like a lot.
The Twinsman is a model that hasn't worked the best for me. I have always wanted to get the standard model swallowtail to work. I gave up on it. Though I have a 6'5"x18.5"x2.56" roundtail Twinsman which is great in bigger waves - it has been solid and a longterm keeper.

The 5' 9" VB Secret Menu has become my favorite DD board. It hasn't let me down. I started with a 5' 10" Freewing, and it had moments that really went well,, and have since then I received a 5' 8" Freewing and this has been very good. With these boards working well and what I liked about them, I decided to try one last time on the Twinsman.

The 5' 8". Twinsman seems a bit different than the prior ones besides knowing the dimensions that I wanted. It seems to be a bit more fuller in the nose, with a narrower rear. It is almost like a mini-Ledge or mini Moonstone. It also less rocker than prior versions. I wonder if this developed out of the AP version, haven't asked. This could be considered a stretched AP version in some ways. I am excited and curious about how this will go. Hope to try it tomorrow.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
That thing got a beak nose? I thought the stocks didn't but the AP version does
Crossing -posts - yeah I think this is some sort of modified AP version - though narrower. I asked for beaked nose based on the VB Secret Menu.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
The Twinsman is a model that hasn't worked the best for me. I have always wanted to get the standard model swallowtail to work. I gave up on it. Though I have a 6'5"x18.5"x2.56" roundtail Twinsman which is great in bigger waves - it has been solid and a longterm keeper.

The 5' 9" VB Secret Menu has become my favorite DD board. It hasn't let me down. I started with a 5' 10" Freewing, and it had moments that really went well,, and have since then I received a 5' 8" Freewing and this has been very good. With these boards working well and what I liked about them, I decided to try one last time on the Twinsman.

The 5' 8". Twinsman seems a bit different than the prior ones besides knowing the dimensions that I wanted. It seems to be a bit more fuller in the nose, with a narrower rear. It is almost like a mini-Ledge or mini Moonstone. It also less rocker than prior versions. I wonder if this developed out of the AP version, haven't asked. This could be considered a stretched AP version in some ways. I am excited and curious about how this will go. Hope to try it tomorrow.
Sounds like a lot going on.

I know my DA TM is a little different from the stock PUs I’ve seen. I’ve put the DA and a PU together to compare so it would be hard for me to say exactly what‘s different. They just feel different holding them (going by memory).

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016

Nice! I too struggled to get the Twinsman ST to go consistently. I really wanted it to work, but ultimately ended up selling it. I like your description of this new model being a mini Moonstone and having less rocker. Does it still have the concave deck and down rails like the older models?

Really interested to hear how this one goes for you.

Makoman

OTF status
Jun 23, 2003
North East
DA Twinsman RP hasn't worked well for me but I will have another go at some point with different fins. Twinbender has been very good in a variety of conditions great speed and loose. Going to give plasmic, disorder, and bom dia a go next.

Any fin recommendations for the bom dia? I have been liking the Album/NVS uprights in the twibender, and generally prefer flat foiled rear fins.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Glad I'm not the only one who had issues with the Twinsman. I think a little less rocker would have made it a more useable board for the way I surf and the type of waves I usually ride twins in. That's not to say I didn't have some great sessions on it, it just wasn't consistent for me.

For Bomdia fins the NVS Bomdia set is probably a safe bet (duh) but if you want to mix and match I had pretty good luck with DHD L fronts, Futures 4.15 flat foil rears.

NVS AM2 sides with NVS JL Medium 80/20 rears ended up being my favorite out of all the combos I tried but I haven't tried the fins designed for the boar yet.

Seems like most on here prefer a bit bigger quad set in the Bomdia which I suspect is due to the tighter fin cluster and more forward placement.

I'm still a big fan of this board. Looking forward to trying it out in some point waves soon.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
I have a dark arts bom dia (5'10). I had got it right before the Bom Dia NVS fins came out, so I initially ran it with the NVS Album Fascination quads. It was super fast, but harder to control and felt too skate-y at times

Once I got the Bom Dia NVS fins, the board got a lot less squirrelly. I think that the bigger trailers stabilized the board and made it sit in the face of the wave better

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I have a dark arts bom dia (5'10). I had got it right before the Bom Dia NVS fins came out, so I initially ran it with the NVS Album Fascination quads. It was super fast, but harder to control and felt too skate-y at times

Once I got the Bom Dia NVS fins, the board got a lot less squirrelly. I think that the bigger trailers stabilized the board and made it sit in the face of the wave better
I’ve got the true Ames album quad and they have similar raked rears. Feels like it helps smooth out transitions out of turns. Flows nicely. [This is in other boars like Insanity and Pyzalien2, not BD.]
FWIW I was asking Chris at the shop about the vesper and he said he likes the Fascination (their split keel) quads in that, rather than an upright set like the other album quad sets. Meanwhile the Delma (roundtail vesper) might like the regular quads better. YMMV.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Glad I'm not the only one who had issues with the Twinsman. I think a little less rocker would have made it a more useable board for the way I surf and the type of waves I usually ride twins in. That's not to say I didn't have some great sessions on it, it just wasn't consistent for me.
This is the kind of thing that is always interesting to me.

For me I feel like the TM could use more rocker.:foreheadslap:

This is one example of why I hesitate to call certain aspects of boards and board design “wrong”.

You want a TM with less rocker, I would be interested in trying one with more rocker….

“Let’s call the whole off….”

Reactions: Aruka

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Nice! I too struggled to get the Twinsman ST to go consistently. I really wanted it to work, but ultimately ended up selling it. I like your description of this new model being a mini Moonstone and having less rocker. Does it still have the concave deck and down rails like the older models?

Really interested to hear how this one goes for you.
Here are some rocker numbers for comparison...measured with a level...

The Reforest Red 5' 8" AP Twinsman nose 3.25"; tail 2.13"
5' 10" roundtail Twinsman nose 4"; tail 2.13"
5' 11" Moonstone - nose 3.75"; tail 2.25"
6' 2" Ledge nose 4"; tail 2"
6' 3" Townsend nose 3.5"; tail 2"

Actually, I think the 5' 8" AP Twinsman is more similar to mini-Townsend in its rocker and outline - fuller nose, pulled in rear, difference being a swallow tail.

Reactions: Goofy_Footed