Album Surfboards

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
Thinking outloud here… if boards are north of the $900-$1000 range, then whats the price for used boards now? $500?
I’m guessing people are gonna keep their boards longer and ride them to death? Less rotation?

i’m all for paying shapers what they deserve, but i certainly won’t be buying as much.

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
The guy does make some fun boards, and i have 2 in xtr, but there is also the "set the price, no matter how high, and they will come" effect going on.

High prices attract people/interest for some reason.

On the other hand, I just ordered a 2 tone resin swirl, pinlines, volan glass log + an eps twin with fancy colors from an east coast shaping legend for $1300 flat

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
New Varial Sunstone: $1050
Used PU Sunstone from Album: $900
Makes sense, right?!?
That does kinda make sense! Charging like 300-400 for colored rail bands on a clear PU seems a bit opportunistic tho.
supposedly he’s got like 8 mouths to feed, so I guess he’s tryin to get it while he can. I’m sure BYU college tuitions ain’t cheap

Last edited:

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
The guy does make some fun boards, and i have 2 in xtr, but there is also the "set the price, no matter how high, and they will come" effect going on.

High prices attract people/interest for some reason.

On the other hand, I just ordered a 2 tone resin swirl, pinlines, volan glass log + an eps twin with fancy colors from an east coast shaping legend for $1300 flat
Ricky Carroll?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Thinking outloud here… if boards are north of the $900-$1000 range, then whats the price for used boards now? $500?
I’m guessing people are gonna keep their boards longer and ride them to death? Less rotation?

i’m all for paying shapers what they deserve, but i certainly won’t be buying as much.
I keep seeing repaired fin box of a now now board model listing for $450-$500 and they seem to eventually sell.

$500 is the new $300 in used boar from any big-brand (CI, Lost, JS, etc) shaper.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I sold a used white pu/pe album at 50% markup from what I paid for it used after surfing it regularly for a year or so. duu was ear to ear to get it for what I sold it for.

the surfboard inflation through Covid was nuts! we will see if it was transitory soon enough it seems... :roflmao::poke:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I sold a used white pu/pe album at 50% markup from what I paid for it used after surfing it regularly for a year or so. duu was ear to ear to get it for what I sold it for.

the surfboard inflation through Covid was nuts! we will see if it was transitory soon enough it seems... :roflmao::poke:
the rarity of a used album in dims for the user really sets the price.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

Album boarbitrage!
That should be my side hustle. Except I like them all so never get around to listing them. LOL

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
color me curious abt this one. looks like it'd be a good "cheater" shortboard. wonder how it differs from the Disorder other than the nose. love the beak nose with the reasonably pulled in width, but not too pulled in

Reactions: Aruka

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
color me curious abt this one. looks like it'd be a good "cheater" shortboard. wonder how it differs from the Disorder other than the nose. love the beak nose with the reasonably pulled in width, but not too pulled in

it's a curious outline. I felt em up a couple weeks ago. narrower than expected, but still thickness down the stringer and under chest; tail is fairly wide. Guy said he was surprised how well it paddles. Surprised no erBB ride reports yet. If a used one pops up on CL, I guess I'll let you guys know what I think. LOL

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
it's a curious outline. I felt em up a couple weeks ago. narrower than expected, but still thickness down the stringer and under chest; tail is fairly wide. Guy said he was surprised how well it paddles. Surprised no erBB ride reports yet. If a used one pops up on CL, I guess I'll let you guys know what I think. LOL
I think a 5'10-11 x 19.5 x 2.5 one would be right up my- I mean your- alley