Album Surfboards

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I nearly pulled the trigger on a 6-1 Bom Dia that was in stock for a while but I couldn't get over the purple color. I already have one purple board in the quiver and I don't want to be "that guy who rides purple boards".

Will likely get one through XTR next time they have a coupon.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
I nearly pulled the trigger on a 6-1 Bom Dia that was in stock for a while but I couldn't get over the purple color. I already have one purple board in the quiver and I don't want to be "that guy who rides purple boards".

Next time?! What kind of talk is that? Still 100 off...

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
color me curious abt this one. looks like it'd be a good "cheater" shortboard. wonder how it differs from the Disorder other than the nose. love the beak nose with the reasonably pulled in width, but not too pulled in

Bom Dia is an asym quad.

Disorder is twin/quad.

Not sure how/if the rocker differs.

Reactions: tedshred5

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD

Ordering through XTR so you can get a pur… I mean grey boar?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Board looks insane i want one.Pic of the bottom? What fins are you supposed to run ? Will you ride it in chest high days or only bigger open face ob?
Can post a pic of the bottom and contours when I get back from a trip I just left for.

I'll be interested to see what the low-end range on the board is. My guess is that's it SH or HH minimum but might end up being surprised here.

When I ordered it, I did ask for a step-up mid-length for the HH - DOH OB days that don't really justify a gun.

Will be interesting to see what works for fins on the board. The tail isn't that narrow so I'm expecting it will need something on the bigger side.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I bought 6' 10" Plasmid during the summer doldrums. I was so-so with it in smaller waves, the wave cheat was exciting but once that wears off, it felt stiff, and strongly believed it was a potential YOLO mistake. Until this weekend, in shoulder to overhead plus, with a bit hesitation, I decided to surf it. The board worked well, get in early, lots of speed and hold, and maneuvers well for its size. As @oeste858 said, you can surf it off the tail and push the board. It handled some of the bigger waves with no issue, big drawn out bottom turns on some of them. Board didn't feel stiff in bigger waves. I started with the Asher Pacey 5.79" owing to the board size, and they were too much fin, the NVS uprights freed the board up and feels right. Not sure if it is my exhaustion speaking owing to the long paddles back offshore, I thought it paddled okay, but caught waves very well.

I was definitely on the right board, as the shortboards were getting destroyed with the drops, I am usually one of these guys trying to catch these waves on a shortboard (everyone was asking what I was on -haha) and the long boarders were positioned too far on the outside or couldn't make it out.

I also purchased 6' 7" Darkness when I was in the Album store about a month later this summer and chatting with them about my Plasmid thoughts. I am still figuring the Darkness out - it is pretty flat relatively to the Plasmid, not sure how it would have went the last 2 days. I am not much of midlength surfer, but today could have changed that or at least for the big waves.

Last edited:

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Been pretty curious about the dampness as a mini-mini-glider.

those are supposed to be for ripple sized days, no?
The guys at Album said they all surf the Darkness a lot at beach breaks, and it can handle size.

I have surfed mine a few times in smaller surf with some shape and it was just okay, often prefer my shortboard for these waves, even if I get a few more waves on the Darkness. I have caught the rail and gone over the front a number of times, which only in a blue moon happens on my other boards. I am self conscious of this aspect now. This is why I wasn't sure how it would go for me in bigger waves. The nose lift is 4.75" on Plasmid and 3" on the Darkness the front is flat. The Plasmid nose narrower, Darkness is wider/rounder. The tail on the Plasmid (not at the channel) is 2.75" and 1.9" on the Darkness. I will be trying it in the bigger waves soon.

Last edited:

tomminator123

OTF status
Dec 22, 2017
I bought 6' 10" Plasmid during the summer doldrums. I was so-so with it in smaller waves, the wave cheat was exciting but once that wears off, it felt stiff, and strongly believed it was a potential YOLO mistake. Until this weekend, in shoulder to overhead plus, with a bit hesitation, I decided to surf it. The board worked well, get in early, lots of speed and hold, and maneuvers well for its size. As @oeste858 said, you can surf it off the tail and push the board. It handled some of the bigger waves with no issue, big drawn out bottom turns on some of them. Board didn't feel stiff in bigger waves. I started with the Asher Pacey 5.79" owing to the board size, and they were too much fin, the NVS uprights freed the board up and feels right. Not sure if it is my exhaustion speaking owing to the long paddles back offshore, I thought it paddled okay, but caught waves very well.

I was definitely on the right board, as the shortboards were getting destroyed with the drops, I am usually one of these guys trying to catch these waves on a shortboard (everyone was asking what I was on -haha) and the long boarders were positioned too far on the outside or couldn't make it out.

I also purchased 6' 7" Darkness when I was in the Album store about a month later this summer and chatting with them about my Plasmid thoughts. I am still figuring the Darkness out - it is pretty flat relatively to the Plasmid, not sure how it would have went the last 2 days. I am not much of midlength surfer, but today could have changed that or at least for the big waves.
How do you like the plasmid compared to the Townsend? I picked up a used 7’2 plasmid and have taken it out a few times but haven’t fully connected with it yet. It feels really fast when I’m up and riding, but seems to struggle on steeper drops

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
How do you like the plasmid compared to the Townsend? I picked up a used 7’2 plasmid and have taken it out a few times but haven’t fully connected with it yet. It feels really fast when I’m up and riding, but seems to struggle on steeper drops
They are different boards. Though I haven't surfed the Townsend in a few months.

Townsend is 6' 6"x19.5"x2.4" around 35L - as most people have said it alt-step up, it is nimble and glides with lots of inherent performance. It is easy to maneuver.

The Townsend is more like scape, and the Plasmid is more like hammer, its a lot of board even at 6' 10". There is a lot of volume packed into the Plasmid.

The Plasmid has more wave catching cheat and can be more off on your positioning. Townsend is a solid board, and its performance is top notch.

My hesitation in surfing the Plasmid in the bigger waves was that it would be too fast. I don't notice the squirt like the Plasmic.

Plasmid has good speed but didn't find it too fast. I think it got away from me once at the end of the wave that I was trying to outrun. I was worried it was going to only straight, more amazed by its hold and ability to do turns. It is not the easiest board to turns on, but it did better than expected. There is a pretty good amount of concave on the bottom in addition to the channel, and I think this provide a lot drive that you can use to your advantage. As I recall, I was more shocked by the speed of the Darkness than the Plasmid.

I can't imagine a 7' 2" Plasmid, I think a 6' 8" would be the right size for me, but happy with the 6' 10"

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I think the Plasmid is suited to flatter faced waves. Smaller waves. Although I have taken mine out in some overhead surf and had a good time I didn't get this board as a step up. Just like it's shorter version it wants a back footed approach. All the speed is in that channel. I've found smaller and/or more upright fins to feel better for me. It's got plenty of glide and drive and the more upright fins allow for easier turns. It took me a few sessions to fully click with my 6-11 and get some good carves and cutties. I think because of the absurd amount of forward foam it's easy to paddle it from a little too far up and then struggle to get your feet far enough back to the sweet spot where you can keep that nose up and out of trouble.

The Townsend, depending on how it's sized, is kind of a good wave/step up twin. It's not my first choice for tubing beachbreaks as I prefer more rocker for late drops but for well overhead walled up surf it's perfect. It's fun in smaller stuff too but there needs to be some push for it to come alive IMO. Compared to the Plasmid it's got a bit more nose lift and the tail is narrower and much more foiled. I rarely feel like there isn't enough nose rocker on the Townsend unless I'm getting a little too wild trying to hit the lip or something. Townsend seems more accommodating of a front footed.

Both, being long twins, are kind of suited to the same type of surfing. Get in early, high line the section, swoop through an open face turn, etc. They just favor different wave types and a little different approach in weighting.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I think the Plasmid is suited to flatter faced waves. Smaller waves. Although I have taken mine out in some overhead surf and had a good time I didn't get this board as a step up. Just like it's shorter version it wants a back footed approach. All the speed is in that channel. I've found smaller and/or more upright fins to feel better for me. It's got plenty of glide and drive and the more upright fins allow for easier turns. It took me a few sessions to fully click with my 6-11 and get some good carves and cutties. I think because of the absurd amount of forward foam it's easy to paddle it from a little too far up and then struggle to get your feet far enough back to the sweet spot where you can keep that nose up and out of trouble.

The Townsend, depending on how it's sized, is kind of a good wave/step up twin. It's not my first choice for tubing beachbreaks as I prefer more rocker for late drops but for well overhead walled up surf it's perfect. It's fun in smaller stuff too but there needs to be some push for it to come alive IMO. Compared to the Plasmid it's got a bit more nose lift and the tail is narrower and much more foiled. I rarely feel like there isn't enough nose rocker on the Townsend unless I'm getting a little too wild trying to hit the lip or something. Townsend seems more accommodating of a front footed.

Both, being long twins, are kind of suited to the same type of surfing. Get in early, high line the section, swoop through an open face turn, etc. They just favor different wave types and a little different approach in weighting.
Great assessment, I forgot you had one, you have had yours way longer than me. I do like it in more on open face softer waves.

What fins are you running in your Plasmid? I have noticed smaller fins working better on a few Album boards. I always found NVS uprights to work well in most, but more and more finding slightly smaller fin have improved the performance on a few boards.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Great assessment, I forgot you had one, you have had yours way longer than me. I do like it in more on open face softer waves.

What fins are you running in your Plasmid? I have noticed smaller fins working better on a few Album boards. I always found NVS uprights to work well in most, but more and more finding slightly smaller fin have improved the performance on a few boards.
i ran the shapers Album AR's first couple sessions and then I've gone to the NVS T-Knox. I think the T-Knox feel great. A little looser. I will try the Rastas next time the waves are small.

tomminator123

OTF status
Dec 22, 2017
Thanks for the info boys. I’ve only ridden the board in dumpy overhead beach break, so I’m looking to forward to trying it out in more suitable conditions. All the volume pushed up to the nose of the board tripped me out, but I see how that can help on flatter/smaller waves.

Reactions: j_mac and Aruka