Album Surfboards

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
Surfed the twinsman again lastnight. Board is really fun. not a cruiser and not a groveler but a fun, rewarding challenge. surfs like a high performance thruster but with some unique surprises. Been moving my feet around a lot and if you get up on the front it feels like a keel fish, but then shuffle back to the tail and it turns as sharp as you’d want. unlike anything I’ve surfed before.
I'm feeling the same way. I really dig it. Also clicking with my Townsend. Gets in really early and I can take off further outside where the longboarders are. It's fast and nimble. Probably will use it only as a better wave board. My darkness is much better at the weaker small stuff. They are all really fun !!!

Reactions: ehiunno and Aruka

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Surfed the twinsman again lastnight. Board is really fun. not a cruiser and not a groveler but a fun, rewarding challenge. surfs like a high performance thruster but with some unique surprises. Been moving my feet around a lot and if you get up on the front it feels like a keel fish, but then shuffle back to the tail and it turns as sharp as you’d want. unlike anything I’ve surfed before.
Rippage from the Rear !

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Funny, that's pretty much how I would describe the varial Lightblender after my 3rd surf on it today. I know Aruka compared both a few pages back, but I think there's a ton of overlap, and really splitting hairs to justify needing both. of course my twinsaman is round pin and PU/poly... so totally different!
;)

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

AP exacta? Tempting.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Funny, that's pretty much how I would describe the varial Lightblender after my 3rd surf on it today. I know Aruka compared both a few pages back, but I think there's a ton of overlap, and really splitting hairs to justify needing both. of course my twinsaman is round pin and PU/poly... so totally different!
;)
Strange - For me, Liteblender and pinsman are very different rides for similar waves. LB feels like my stretch superbuzz with better paddle for me. Took me 2 sessions and it was an extension of my body. Pinsman is like a totally new journey... I keep getting better at riding it, so I keep coming back to it. Been that way for like ~6 months or something.

Finally got around to trying the Shapers Asher Pacey finz in the pinsman, but weekend crowds we a bummer. Holy kookville.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
@SixtyGrit I was referring to the standard swallow TM. I’ve only ridden my pinsman a handful of times as my OH / good wave twin. Thought I spotted a gap in my quiver LOL. Sized it for that- 6’1- which is 1/2” over my height.

LB is a great HP fish so far. Really liking it as DD type for me. Agree it feels intuitive right off the bat.
Which shapers AP fin? 5.55 or ? Did you order from Album or somewhere else?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Quick review on the uber YOLO dark arts plasmic for you all. Pretty stoked on the board.

First thing I'll say is that it paddles pretty well. I dunno about 35L well but definitely it's an easy paddler. Don't be afraid to size up. I was worried that the board would feel like a boat. It doesn't at all.

Naturally, the board is super fast which is what you'd expect from something that's 5'6, 20.5 wide and has very little entry rocker. What I do like about the board is that with all that speed, it doesn't really stick in the face like a twin keel kind of does. It's much more free and loose than that style board.

Seemed like the board liked to be driven off the back foot. It has a lot of squirt from back there. All that exit rocker really helps the board make it through steeper sections or drops.

This is just from one session at a reef north of town in a sw/nw mix swell of waist - shoulder high waves.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Question for anyone who has/rides an insanity. What fins/fin setups have you run in the board and what's the realistic lower and upper ends for the board?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Glad to hear your feedback on the Plasmic @kool-aid.

For me the Insanity wants a pretty solid wave. The tail is narrow. I think a standard shortboard like my Driver has better low end to be honest. That said the Insanity is a solid board in good surf. It paddles and catches waves very well. Very good in the barrel. I like it best as twin + trailer with the Album NVS and small trailer. I tried many different quad sets and never cared for it. Too stiff. It felt pretty good with upright thruster set.

I got mine 6'2" which is an inch under my height. It's fairly heavy PU build. I think one in stubbier dims and a lighter construction could be more of an all rounder.

Reactions: Havoc and ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Oh how times have changed in Album land. I ended up buying an overpriced t-shirt since I feel I'm lacking with my existing 50 black t's.

I bought a shirt from them maybe four years ago and you could open a decal store with what they threw in the box. They weren't little cheapies either, but super nice ones with metallic print etc. of all different shapes and sizes.

Yesterday's delivery revealed nada, not even a receipt.

Last edited:

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Glad to hear your feedback on the Plasmic @kool-aid.

For me the Insanity wants a pretty solid wave. The tail is narrow. I think a standard shortboard like my Driver has better low end to be honest. That said the Insanity is a solid board in good surf. It paddles and catches waves very well. Very good in the barrel. I like it best as twin + trailer with the Album NVS and small trailer. I tried many different quad sets and never cared for it. Too stiff. It felt pretty good with upright thruster set.

I got mine 6'2" which is an inch under my height. It's fairly heavy PU build. I think one in stubbier dims and a lighter construction could be more of an all rounder.
Interesting. I was a bit surprised by how heavy the board was when I got it. Definitely an interesting shape. Seems like it would have a lot of range for anything with some push.

I'm heading to Nica in 10 days and considering bringing this board. It might a bit risky though as I probably won't have a chance to get it in the water before I head out.

Reactions: Havoc and Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Interesting. I was a bit surprised by how heavy the board was when I got it. Definitely an interesting shape. Seems like it would have a lot of range for anything with some push.

I'm heading to Nica in 10 days and considering bringing this board. It might a bit risky though as I probably won't have a chance to get it in the water before I head out.
Oh, you already have one? Yeah, I would be hesitant take it on a trip without testing it first as well. I think for stiff offshore nica barrels it would be kind of perfect but it depends on where you're going and the forecast, etc. I would probably want to have something with better low end in addition to it if the forecast isn't supposed to be pumping the whole time.

I was debating whether to bring mine to Cabo in a week but will probably opt for a squash tail thruster instead. Trying to limit myself to two boards is not easy.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Oh, you already have one? Yeah, I would be hesitant take it on a trip without testing it first as well. I think for stiff offshore nica barrels it would be kind of perfect but it depends on where you're going and the forecast, etc. I would probably want to have something with better low end in addition to it if the forecast isn't supposed to be pumping the whole time.

I was debating whether to bring mine to Cabo in a week but will probably opt for a squash tail thruster instead. Trying to limit myself to two boards is not easy.
Plopping down at Colorados for ~2 weeks. I think it's worth the risk and just bring a couple of different fin sets. It feels like it would be a perfect all arounder. Based on the forecast thinking that board, plus a HPSB, plus a step up would be the ideal mix.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Plopping down at Colorados for ~2 weeks. I think it's worth the risk and just bring a couple of different fin sets. It feels like it would be a perfect all arounder. Based on the forecast thinking that board, plus a HPSB, plus a step up would be the ideal mix.
Yeah if you are able to bring 3 boards I think it's a safe enough choice. I'd consider overall rocker to be fairly low so would bring some upright fins to try. Good luck down there. Look forward to hearing your take on it.

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Oh how times have changed in Album land. I ended up buying an overpriced t-shirt since I feel I'm lacking with my existing 50 black t's.

I bought a shirt from them maybe four years ago and you could open a decal store with what they threw in the box. They were't little cheap ones either, super nice ones with metallic print etc. of all different shapes and sizes.

Yesterday's delivery revealed nada, not even a receipt.
Is it even soft organic cotton for a $45 shirt with an X on it?

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
Can anyone recommend sizing a Lightbender? I love the volume of my Twinsman RT. 6'0 x20.5 x2.6 37 liters.
I'm thinking 5'10 x21 x2.6 for more grovel ability. Bit more fishy outline. Thanks!

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Can anyone recommend sizing a Lightbender? I love the volume of my Twinsman RT. 6'0 x20.5 x2.6 37 liters.
I'm thinking 5'10 x21 x2.6 for more grovel ability. Bit more fishy outline. Thanks!
Wut size is your fish?

I ride a 5’6 x 20.5 x 2.38 fish and my lightbender is 5’7 x 20.25 x 2.5 and no regrets. Don’t worry about liters with these things, they pack some foam.