AI

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
i think the question is

- looking at the existing threat landscape that the internet presents (extremely vulnerable today)

- how likely is it that AI (still yet to be really defined) accelerates a net negative event (grid attack, etc)

(bad outcomes are likely , good outcomes are also likely). But we are as vulnerable as ever

Reactions: john4surf

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Not hard to see where all the tech is going.

Space race is on. AI everywhere and home robots. Efficient and safe driverless cars (at some point), hovercrafts and flying vehicles for the masses, sex parties on space stations, and absolutely anything and everything connected to one gigantic world-encompassing neural network of quarks, gluons, and DNA. Next 50 years are going to be exciting as fuck, to see if humanity can somehow survive it all.
alternatively, it’s possible that the technological advances of the next fifty years amount to putting screens on more things that don’t need screens and making poor food more accessible without leaving your home.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
alternatively, it’s possible that the technological advances of the next fifty years amount to putting screens on more things that don’t need screens and making poor food more accessible without leaving your home.
Yes, more screens. Put them on everything. Make the entire side of a building a monitor. And the ceilings and floors too. I see you're remodeling the house? Are you going with wood, tile, or carpet floor?

I'm going with screens.

And wtf is 'poor food' ? Is that food that can't find a job?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
what do you want, doesn’t it go without saying? Think of the unbelievable things AI has become capable of, such as performing a systematic search of a database and returning results in the way that it is programmed to.
It’s incomprehensible! And then there are the funny pictures. It’s changing the world.
All I'm asking for is some theorems or proofs it has generated to date. I know things keep getting better and better in California because of AI, but I need a narrow example like this. It doesn't have to be "Maxwell's Equations" - level either.

1710198480022.png

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I don't have teh energy to click these links. Someone do it for me.

1710198594959.png

1710198642932.png

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
i had an interesting discussion about AI with an older dude back in 2017 at my gym

he made a number of claims about AI tech that seemed quite absurd to me (and as a software architect i considered myself to be pretty up to speed in this space)

they were so absurd that i basically thought he was a nutcase

and now all of his claims about AI have proven to be 100% true

so i bumped into him in the grocery store parking lot the other day and asked him if he remembered me and our conversation

he says, "yup", and i say, "hey i owe you an apology"

he asks why and i tell him i thought he was a complete nutcase

he laughs and says, "yeah, i figured you did"

:roflmao:

so we talked some more and he proceeded to make a whole new set of claims regarding quantum technology as it relates to both AI and (oddly enough) power generation

i figure there are two possibilities:

(1) he's a nutcase and just got lucky with the claims he made back in 2017
(2) sh!t is about to go absolutely 100% full-on science fiction here on planet earth
So what stocks do I buy??

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Yes, more screens. Put them on everything. Make the entire side of a building a monitor. And the ceilings and floors too. I see you're remodeling the house? Are you going with wood, tile, or carpet floor?

I'm going with screens.

And wtf is 'poor food' ? Is that food that can't find a job?
1710199712484.gif

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Not hard to see where all the tech is going.

Space race is on. AI everywhere and home robots. Efficient and safe driverless cars (at some point), hovercrafts and flying vehicles for the masses, sex parties on space stations, and absolutely anything and everything connected to one gigantic world-encompassing neural network of quarks, gluons, and DNA. Next 50 years are going to be exciting as fuck, to see if humanity can somehow survive it all.
that doesn't sound exciting it sounds dystopian AF

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Yes yes, we really need all of the above.

Sounds like a risk worth taking.