AI

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
its just math. you could have used a tape measure and calculator. if you didnt, you should. at least check ai's numbers
if i didn't, i knew the contractor would. it was accurate. and this is a simple example, but the difference between getting a clear concise specific answer and getting a page loaded with ads/links/redirects was significant. as noted, better search is step forward, imho....how they end up monetizing it might change things, but atm, it's significantly more useful.:waving:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
an ai anecdote,

my daughter, 3rd yr stem student at uc, was accused of submitting an ai generated mid term essay for a humanities req last week. bear in mind that the essay was a handwritten blue book essay composed in class under midterm test conditions.

she was of course failed on the midterm out of hand.

on appeal to her professor, she produced handwritten writing samples of past work, class notes etc to support her case that the work was actually her own and not ai generated.

upon review, the prof agreed that essay matched her writing style and withdrew the accusation, giving her a 100% score on the test.

his explaination as to why her handwritten in class test essay was flagged as ai? she used "compound sentence structure to express complex ideas relating to the test prompt"

no apology was forthcoming.
My understanding of what you wrote is that she wrote so much better than the other students in the class and the teacher had such low expectations from his students' writing that he thought, "Surely this must be generated by an LLM." Hilarious and sad at the same time!

I got accused of cheating on a physics exam one time. I had to explain to the prof that the equations for the answers on his test were all the same - I just had to change the coefficients. He gave me an "A" than asked if the class was too boring to butter me up.

It seems your daughter should be compensated for this false accusation but the prof probably has no budget to do so and is himself a poor adjunct making peanuts haha.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
if i didn't, i knew the contractor would. it was accurate. and this is a simple example, but the difference between getting a clear concise specific answer and getting a page loaded with ads/links/redirects was significant. as noted, better search is step forward, imho....how they end up monetizing it might change things, but atm, it's significantly more useful.:waving:
its going to be messy fun when persons known and unknown blue screen the whole shitshow. hopefully some will still remember how to perform basic tasks when it happens. keep ur pencils handy. its only a matter of time.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
its going to be messy fun when persons known and unknown blue screen the whole shitshow. hopefully some will still remember how to perform basic tasks when it happens. keep ur pencils handy. its only a matter of time.
Google search has gotten noticeably worse lately. I wonder if they're planning on sunsetting it and trying to migrate us to an LLM search tool or some other fool thing. Seems like this would destroy their revenue castle though, so maybe search is just getting worse because that's how bad Google is now.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Google search has gotten noticeably worse lately. I wonder if they're planning on sunsetting it and trying to migrate us to an LLM search tool or some other fool thing. Seems like this would destroy their revenue castle though, so maybe search is just getting worse because that's how bad Google is now.
it may be given the sheer volume of accumulated data, both accurate and inaccurate, is overwhelming google search capabilities and forcing google's hand into a not ready for prime time llm tool.

not that they wouldnt roll a version of llm search out anyway just to see what happens

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
it may be given the sheer volume of accumulated data, both accurate and inaccurate, is overwhelming google search capabilities and forcing google's hand into a not ready for prime time llm tool.

not that they wouldnt roll a version of llm search out anyway just to see what happens
Could be, but I thought Google only indexed the text in websites which is why we do SEO optimization with keywords. The overall data on the internet is growing, but text doesn't take up much data. It seems to be worse at text now. I've seen various excuses such as, "More text is on social media now," but that doesn't explain why it doesn't pull up useful text-based websites like it did before.

Google, of course, was a 3 Letter Agency project to begin with. Perhaps these TLAs have moved on like their founders. Anyways, seems like sclerosis has set in.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
an ai anecdote,

my daughter, 3rd yr stem student at uc, was accused of submitting an ai generated mid term essay for a humanities req last week. bear in mind that the essay was a handwritten blue book essay composed in class under midterm test conditions.

she was of course failed on the midterm out of hand.

on appeal to her professor, she produced handwritten writing samples of past work, class notes etc to support her case that the work was actually her own and not ai generated.

upon review, the prof agreed that essay matched her writing style and withdrew the accusation, giving her a 100% score on the test.

his explaination as to why her handwritten in class test essay was flagged as ai? she used "compound sentence structure to express complex ideas relating to the test prompt"

no apology was forthcoming.
The prof is lazier than the students using AI

this incident should be reported to administration. Even if it’s not to get the prof in trouble or anything other than to just to let them know that there’s is an issue with how decisions are being made wrt ai cheating accusations

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
This sounds like what we're saying to the Houthis right now. How's that working for us?

1709566984759.png

Maybe the "godlike AGI" is Christopher Lasch's angry ghost deus ex machina:
1709567090774.png

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Things at Google are hopeless, but fortunately not serious.

Their main revenue castle - search - doesn't appear to work either. I guess they have no hope of replacing it with this new tool. Bing is getting better and better.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Things at Google are hopeless, but fortunately not serious.

Their main revenue castle - search - doesn't appear to work either. I guess they have no hope of replacing it with this new tool. Bing is getting better and better.
Probably cause the search engine isn’t really a search engine. The results are based on ad spend and whatever political cause du jour they are virtue signalling about.

Similar to Amazon, where even when you use filters to exclude certain attributes you still end up with a ton of crap that is exactly not what you are telling them you are looking for.

Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Probably cause the search engine isn’t really a search engine. The results are based on ad spend and whatever political cause du jour they are virtue signalling about.

Similar to Amazon, where even when you use filters to exclude certain attributes you still end up with a ton of crap that is exactly not what you are telling them you are looking for.
AI + DEI is American Lysenkoism.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
i had an interesting discussion about AI with an older dude back in 2017 at my gym

he made a number of claims about AI tech that seemed quite absurd to me (and as a software architect i considered myself to be pretty up to speed in this space)

they were so absurd that i basically thought he was a nutcase

and now all of his claims about AI have proven to be 100% true

so i bumped into him in the grocery store parking lot the other day and asked him if he remembered me and our conversation

he says, "yup", and i say, "hey i owe you an apology"

he asks why and i tell him i thought he was a complete nutcase

he laughs and says, "yeah, i figured you did"

:roflmao:

so we talked some more and he proceeded to make a whole new set of claims regarding quantum technology as it relates to both AI and (oddly enough) power generation

i figure there are two possibilities:

(1) he's a nutcase and just got lucky with the claims he made back in 2017
(2) sh!t is about to go absolutely 100% full-on science fiction here on planet earth

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
i had an interesting discussion about AI with an older dude back in 2017 at my gym

he made a number of claims about AI tech that seemed quite absurd to me (and as a software architect i considered myself to be pretty up to speed in this space)

Such as?

Reactions: Mr Doof

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria

so i bumped into him in the grocery store parking lot the other day and asked him if he remembered me and our conversation

so we talked some more and he proceeded to make a whole new set of claims regarding quantum technology as it relates to both AI and (oddly enough) power generation

(2) sh!t is about to go absolutely 100% full-on science fiction here on planet earth
Not hard to see where all the tech is going.

Space race is on. AI everywhere and home robots. Efficient and safe driverless cars (at some point), hovercrafts and flying vehicles for the masses, sex parties on space stations, and absolutely anything and everything connected to one gigantic world-encompassing neural network of quarks, gluons, and DNA. Next 50 years are going to be exciting as fuck, to see if humanity can somehow survive it all.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002

Please ask this guy if the little spaceship cars the jetsons drove are coming any time soon
everything else is meaningless if we can‘t travel like the jetsons

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: crustBrother