Acid Reflux?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Yeah, it sucks :toilet:You basically have to consider cutting out or at least down on everything great in life- coffee, booze, dairy, spicy food etc etc. Or at least temporarily until it's gone, then you can slowly add stuff back in to see how you react. Cut back on portion size, especially at dinner, because laying flat 2-3 hours after big meal is a big one.

That said- once you get it under control you will have better awareness about what triggers it. Now when I have reflux it is more of a signal that I overdid it in the previous 24-48 hours and need to reign it back in.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Yep that is what I figured, I love starting my mornings with a big coffee and a fat dip. Probably the 2 worst things for it.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I switched to half caf coffee years ago. It helps, but you have to go to a fancy grocery store or coffee shop to find quality decaf.

Cutting out nicotine is a low hanging fruit in terms of results, but execution and consistency is another animal.

Reactions: mundus

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Acid reflux and GERD suck.

Cut out all the usual triggers. Watch out for the unusual ones. For me, nightshades was a sneaky culprit.
Enjoy them all infrequently.

FWIW when I eat more raw food (salads, apples, etc) my body seems better able to handle the triggers.

Reactions: grapedrink

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
i suffered from this when i was a grom. had my buddy take m e to the hospital becuase i swore i was having a heart attack. rushed to the front of the ER, hooked up to a million machines, and dr said "gas" :roflmao:that was the first diagnosis.

had terrible heartburn in general for years after that and then it all just stopped.

give apple cider vinegar a try, sounds counter productive but that stuff works.

Reactions: flyinraptr

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Yeah, it sucks :toilet:You basically have to consider cutting out or at least down on everything great in life- coffee, booze, dairy, spicy food etc etc. Or at least temporarily until it's gone, then you can slowly add stuff back in to see how you react. Cut back on portion size, especially at dinner, because laying flat 2-3 hours after big meal is a big one.

That said- once you get it under control you will have better awareness about what triggers it. Now when I have reflux it is more of a signal that I overdid it in the previous 24-48 hours and need to reign it back in.
After decades of fighting it I finally figured out the worst offender….

…sugar. It has been the root of all it.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
After decades of fighting it I finally figured out the worst offender….

…sugar. It has been the root of all it.
I stopped eating sugar about 6 months ago.

I'm not looking scouring every label, but I'm not eating sweets, sweet sauces, etc.

I can't believe how much less plaque is forming on my teeth.

It's crazy.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Shor Pier......Long walk.

This ^^^^^^^. Wish I had stumbled into that tip 15 years sooner.
Just yesterday you cried about shots being taken outside of the politics forum, here you are doing it, What is it like being a complete hypocrite? Thanks for the suggestion otherwise.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
i always used to get it when surfing. how come?
For one thing, you're laying flat.

Some of my friends never would get reflux while surfing. :shrug: I would imagine anatomy plays a role, and some people have weaker esophageal sphincters. I have to give myself a few hours after breakfast and longer after lunch or I'm belching up stomach contents.

Reactions: CutnSnip