A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
and no way I would ever lock down tight on a cobe- take your time, you'll eventually wear it out.
Thing was gonna spool that little 4000.

I did wind up catching a couple dozen stripers after that event, so I don't think it completely sheared during that fight but I suppose it could have started the ball rolling.

Ironically I had a stout rod with a 6000 and big paddletail rigged aboard (this was all on kayak) but the cobia decided it wanted to grab a tiny little spoon I was snap-jigging for summer flounder.

Reactions: freeride76

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The Storm So-Run, heavy minnow?

those things are freaking gold.

and no way I would ever lock down tight on a cobe- take your time, you'll eventually wear it out.
I've seen one cobia landed whole and it wasn't big enough for keeper, like 30". Every keeper cobia I've ever seen - every single one - got torn to pieces by sharks pretty early in the fight.

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
Halibut bite has been all time and I'm down to my last magic "Storm" brand minnow. View attachment 170704
As an east-coaster, it always catches me off-guard that your species of flounder (Paralichthys californicus) can be left- or right-eyed; barring a mutation, our species (Paralichthys dentatus) have extremely high fidelity to being left-eyed.

As a one-time ichthyologist in training (diverted to a more generalized Ecology route after my Masters) it also drives me bonkers that they are colloquially referred to as halibut; true halibut are limited to the genera of Hippoglossus and Reinhardtius.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Ok my middle one just got another small perch on a 2 3/4" Rappala jerkbait. He left the 4 1/2" one at home. I need to try to get him into a pig with a bigger bait.

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
I can't recall if I've posted this story before on this thread, so my apologies if it's a repeat.
Here it goes.

Many moons ago when I was a surf bum on southern Vancouver Island, I shared a place with a good friend name of Larry. One night we were in the old Jordan River Pub indulging in a few pints with another local guy name of Ron and the subject of getting out fishing came up. Larry and Ron decided to go first thing in the morning.
I'm not much of a drinker so left for home before they did, preferring to have no hang-over in the morning.
Larry staggered in at a wee hour a bit worse for wear and that seemed to cap the evening. A few hours later I was rudely awakened by Ron, Larry's drinking companion, who insisted I get up and go fishing with him. He was slurring his words and smelled bad so I fended him off and directed him to Larry's bedroom. There, he woke Larry and dragged him out to go fishing.
I rolled over and went back to sleep.
A couple of hours later, as I was enjoying my breakfast and savoring my not-hung-over state, they appeared at the door, panting, puffing, muddy and sweaty and wanting me to take them in my pick-up to retrieve their fish.
They had paddled their 14' canoe towards Point-No-Point and started jigging for Rock cod, aka Brown Bombers. They'd caught a few and then Ron hooked something very large that commenced towing them westward.
Ron, by now quite hungover and sick, held the rod and barfed over the side a lot, or so Larry claimed, while he, Larry, back-paddled on the shoreward side to exert shoreward pressure on the fish. By now they knew it was likely a big Halibut and their only chance to land it was to ............well............land it. They eventually got it into shallow water about three miles or so from where they hooked it and then beached it. Then they broke both paddles beating it to death.
I shudder to imagine the scene.
Recognizing where they were from the beach, they clambered up the hill towards the local garbage dump, circled it through the bush then hiked out the access road to the highway. Nobody came along so they walked from there back to where I was.
We rousted out another buddy, Hugh, and set off after the prize.
The four of us somehow managed to carry the Halibut up the hill to my truck then Hugh paddled the canoe back to JR with a paddle we brought with us.
We never weighed it, but it was well over 100 lbs. and over 5 feet long. Pretty well everyone in JR had fresh halibut that day as we shared it around the small hamlet with everyone we knew. And, of course, we knew everyone.
Sometimes the fish gods smile on drunken fools I guess, although for weeks after I had to listen to the story of their superior angling skills over and over and over.

Here's Larry on the left and Hugh on the right. Ron took the photo.

HalibutLarryHugh.jpg

Take care.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
How is the land based/wade fishing down there now? The traditional winter flat spell is starting to get to me:violin:
We're coming out of kind of the mid-winter "low" season for that sort of thing in Central/North Florida. There are still some opportunities - I think Sheepshead fishing is good this time of year, and the Jack Crevalle can schoolie up in the ICW/IRL canals and provide steady action. Snook and Tarpon are mostly down South, and the Trout and Redfish are less common on the flats and more common in deeper holes - this is especially true for Trout - but both these species along with Flounder are fine with the temps.

But in general you'd probably want to be more Palm Beach -> Keys this time of year. The flats tends to be slower, the surf at the moment is mostly Whiting until you get down towards the Stuart area where the water might be a bit more Pompano-ey.

However March is just around the corner and it tends to start to turn back on. There should be good Black Drum fishing in the North FL surf. Pompano will be making their way back North. Warmer days and a new cycle will see more fish up on the roadside flats or in the surf.

Reactions: mundus and keenfish