A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
As a guy who does all his own ding repair (and for hire/beer for friends and friends of friends), I also maintain and repair my reels instead of paying someone else to do it. Sometimes sourcing parts is a bit of a goose-chase and I'm semi-boycotting the idea of ordering parts direct from Penn at the moment (it was going to cost me to ship a reel to them "under warranty" with no guarantee the repair would be covered, and they would't ship me the part FOC despite photos of the failed part).

I recently found Mystic Reel Parts* ( mysticparts.com ) online to DIY a sheared pinion gear (center of photo) and am pleased with the service they provided (same or less $ to get the part shipped to me as it would have been to send the reel to Penn), but would like to find some other online sources if they can't provide a particular part in the future. Anyone have any recommendations?

Pursuit IV repair.jpg

*= I have NO affiliation or allegiance to Mystic Reel Parts, but do like the idea of supporting a small business when possible. Plus I didn't have to wait for word and return of the reel from Penn by doing it myself.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
My middle one keeps catching small perch on Berkley sandworms. I need to try to get him into something worth taking home.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Yeah sort of out of my wheelhouse but to my knowledge that's mostly sight fishing at the right tides in warmer water.

I bet you could find some info on a surf fishing forum. Seems pretty popular in our zone.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Geeezus, WTH caused that pinion gear to break like that?
Pretty unusual.
Alan Tani in So. Cal is one of the go-to sources for parts and servicing of most reels.
Go to BloodyDecks.com for contact info.
VERY reliable.

Reactions: Roboworm

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
Geeezus, WTH caused that pinion gear to break like that?
Pretty unusual.
Alan Tani in So. Cal is one of the go-to sources for parts and servicing of most reels.
Go to BloodyDecks.com for contact info.
VERY reliable.
I think it was a faulty (poorly casted or milled) part. Only a few months of occasional use and I take care of my equipment to the nth degree. Hence wanting Penn to step up and replace it. But didn't want to pay to send back a warranty-ed reel, and they didn't want to send me the part in the mail so I could repair it. Hence my purchase from Mystic Reel Parts.

That said, I hooked up with two big fish that just weren't turning for me- a ray and a cobia- and I had to tighten the drag down (both eventually parted the line). Maybe the spool was extended out when I did so, resulting in a lot of torsion on the pinion where it meets the main gear. Still, the reel only has 15lbs of drag (I was running 25lb braid), so you think if you offer 15lbs of drag the components would handle it.

Thanks for the Alan Tani/BloodyDecks.com info!

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Absolutely should not have failed like that under that weak of a load.

Doubt you were even running 15lbs of drag with only 25lb braid.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I think it was a faulty (poorly casted or milled) part. Only a few months of occasional use and I take care of my equipment to the nth degree. Hence wanting Penn to step up and replace it. But didn't want to pay to send back a warranty-ed reel, and they didn't want to send me the part in the mail so I could repair it. Hence my purchase from Mystic Reel Parts.

That said, I hooked up with two big fish that just weren't turning for me- a ray and a cobia- and I had to tighten the drag down (both eventually parted the line). Maybe the spool was extended out when I did so, resulting in a lot of torsion on the pinion where it meets the main gear. Still, the reel only has 15lbs of drag (I was running 25lb braid), so you think if you offer 15lbs of drag the components would handle it.

Thanks for the Alan Tani/BloodyDecks.com info!
I saw a 4500 Slammer IV DX at the Strike Zone tent sale and swooped. I've been using a Spinfisher V 4500 for jigging huachis/albies/kings off Bastian and I've stickied up the drag pretty good. Tried taking apart a different spool that's butter and comparing and couldn't make the sticky one work. I am guessing cooked carbon washer?

Anywho the Slammer IV DX has stainless mains as the upgrades. Hoping to hook a Red October next time Atlantic Dildo Services opens up a day or two out of the whole year for huachis.

Absolutely should not have failed like that under that weak of a load.

Doubt you were even running 15lbs of drag with only 25lb braid.
25# of some braids probably has considerably over 25# breaking strength and the Pursuit 4000 is rated for 15# max drag. Trying to put the brakes on a good Cobe or an absolute manhole cover ray and locking it?

In the mono days the old metal and then graphite spinfishers in that class were 10-12# test reels and mono pretty much breaks at the listed breaking strength.

Reactions: hackeysaky

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
25# of some braids probably has considerably over 25# breaking strength and the Pursuit 4000 is rated for 15# max drag. Trying to put the brakes on a good Cobe or an absolute manhole cover ray and locking it?
Hmmm, pretty sure I wasn't locked down past the threshold and the braid was already pretty worn/frayed from surf use and toggin' (I got lazy and kept putting off reversing the line on the spool) and parted ahead of the leader and hardware, so I doubt the last few yards of line had more than 15lbs. of tensile strength, but I suppose it was possible. Something worth considering in the future.

Reactions: freeride76

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Hmmm, pretty sure I wasn't locked down past the threshold and the braid was already pretty worn/frayed from surf use and toggin' (I got lazy and kept putting off reversing the line on the spool) and parted ahead of the leader and hardware, so I doubt the last few yards of line had more than 15lbs. of tensile strength, but I suppose it was possible. Something worth considering in the future.
Just buy a new Stella. :)

• Love
Reactions: Aruka

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
The Storm So-Run, heavy minnow?

those things are freaking gold.

and no way I would ever lock down tight on a cobe- take your time, you'll eventually wear it out.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
As a guy who does all his own ding repair (and for hire/beer for friends and friends of friends), I also maintain and repair my reels instead of paying someone else to do it. Sometimes sourcing parts is a bit of a goose-chase and I'm semi-boycotting the idea of ordering parts direct from Penn at the moment (it was going to cost me to ship a reel to them "under warranty" with no guarantee the repair would be covered, and they would't ship me the part FOC despite photos of the failed part).

I recently found Mystic Reel Parts* ( mysticparts.com ) online to DIY a sheared pinion gear (center of photo) and am pleased with the service they provided (same or less $ to get the part shipped to me as it would have been to send the reel to Penn), but would like to find some other online sources if they can't provide a particular part in the future. Anyone have any recommendations?

View attachment 170685

*= I have NO affiliation or allegiance to Mystic Reel Parts, but do like the idea of supporting a small business when possible. Plus I didn't have to wait for word and return of the reel from Penn by doing it myself.
The thing with Penn reels is that you are always going to need parts. ;)

Reactions: hackeysaky