A certain poster’s dream. Merry Christmas

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I just gave you the example of thousand oaks.

The "car problem" is that people want to live away from their employment. Nobody wants to live next to a factory. Just because you build apartments next door, people don't want to live there.

That's why rent is cheap near industrial zones.

Don't make people do what they don't want. That is tyranny
Are you suggesting this is not what the American people want?

1577384295269.png

1577384329478.png

1577384417765.png

Hey, on the bright side, they don't need cars there!

Fecal, until you can make transportation more efficient (i.e. faster) than using a car, then you will never convert the masses. And guess what, people like having a yard for the kids to safely play in. I know they don't get the corner dealing and street-ho apprenticeship they would get in Soweto, Port-au-Prince, Moscow, or Baltimore, but that's a sacrifice a lot of families are willing to make.

Reactions: rts265

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Hey, on the bright side, they don't need cars there!

Fecal, until you can make transportation more efficient (i.e. faster) than using a car, then you will never convert the masses. And guess what, people like having a yard for the kids to safely play in. I know they don't get the corner dealing and street-ho apprenticeship they would get in Soweto, Port-au-Prince, Moscow, or Baltimore, but that's a sacrifice a lot of families are willing to make.
I expect better than a "VENAZUALA" argument from you Kento. Why always seek the worst example?
Why not look at other developed Western Nations?
Because it would make your point moot, that's why.

Again, it's not about what you want, it's what's physically possible.

This is not sustainable.

1577385011794.png

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Says the guy who lives 80 miles from most of his work.

Every one of the drivers in those cars could choose to stuff their family into a 1bd apt within a short bus ride to their work if they really valued urbanism that much. Supposedly the 400sf apartment for the family of 4 is a thing in certain asian cities, so it's doable.

Why don't tell us all why it is you don't live in a studio apt in the North Hollywood Arts district?

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I expect better than a "VENAZUALA" argument from you Kento. Why always seek the worst example?
Why not look at other developed Western Nations?
Because it would make your point moot, that's why.

Again, it's not about what you want, it's what's physically possible.

This is not sustainable.

View attachment 83989
You're advocating for a dressed-up version of the projects. It's great for the poor and woke hipsters who eschew kids for ironic mustaches but not so much for everyone else. Who wants to deal with all the constant noise, bums, abysmal schools when you have a much more pleasant alternative?

Guess what? People in those other western developed nations also prefer the quiet of the suburbs/countryside.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
If businesses located where people live, they wouldn't have to commute so far. People "could" ride bikes and such to do local errands. But many areas outside existing dense flat plain locations are hilly or on mesas, and biking up and down those hills is not a great option for a fair percentage (in summer heat?). Ya, scooters, but still single person, limited capacity hauling.

People move to So Cal for its weather and year-round outdoor accessibility over a wide range of activities available. You need your own personal transpo to enjoy it with freedom to come and go at will. Otherwise, you're stuck playing in your backyard or closest surf break. You "could" try to take mass transit to expand your horizons, but travel time alone would take up half your time getting there and back. Fellow commuters would love sharing cramped space with your surfboard, wetsuit, towels and other gear.

So Cal was built around the personal auto, and it's kind of late in the game to change that, unless you force it.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
The paint job on those cooling towers is dank AF
Someone should do the same with both San O and Diablo Canyon. With the latter, how could you NOT paint devils on the domes?

Due to the fear of fun in this country, I'm thinking we will be electing Roger Goodell president in the near future.

Reactions: grapedrink

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Except for San Francisco, everywhere west of the Rockies was predominantly built out after cars enabled people to get away from sharing each other's armpits. People made these decisions because they could, not because they had no alternatives. If urbanism had ever been the preference then that's how the 20th century development would have gone in the first place.

The builders build what sells. Building projects that don't sell - because the jurisdiction is requiring it - is how you get mixed use projects in downtown Oceanside where the residential units sold out immediately but the commercial units below sat vacant for 10+ years and are still running at a loss relative to their costs of construction.

Last edited:

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008
So the solution to development issues is 'middle - out.'

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Someone should do the same with both San O and Diablo Canyon. With the latter, how could you NOT paint devils on the domes?

Due to the fear of fun in this country, I'm thinking we will be electing Roger Goodell president in the near future.
That’d be sick. Paint boobs and nipples on the San O ones while we’re at it.

Although the SLO County NIMBYs have voted for the closure of Diablo. Several million dollars per year that went to schools that will have to be made (paid) up for somewhere. Not to mention that there are 1500 jobs there with an average salary of $157k. Which is basically unheard of in this county, especially for people who may only have a HS diploma.

I thought democrats were supposed to be for the working man :unsure:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
That’d be sick. Paint boobs and nipples on the San O ones while we’re at it.

Although the SLO County NIMBYs have voted for the closure of Diablo. Several million dollars per year that went to schools that will have to be made (paid) up for somewhere. Not to mention that there are 1500 jobs there with an average salary of $157k. Which is basically unheard of in this county, especially for people who may only have a HS diploma.

I thought democrats were supposed to be for the working man :unsure:
Dark colored nipples for the contrast. Although will need to put some pasties or similar protection on them so the seagulls don't make the titties albino.

That's a lot of high-paying jobs going away. Not to mention Diablo is kind of in the middle of nowhere. Not the worst place to have a power plant. Where will they be drawing the power from now? If we could find a pragmatic method of disposal, nuclear power is one of the better options.

Didn't you get the memo? Youtube and Instagram influencing are the new working man media.

Reactions: GDaddy

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Dark colored nipples for the contrast. Although will need to put some pasties or similar protection on them so the seagulls don't make the titties albino.
for sure. Also for diversity sake. Only white people have pink nipples, therefore it’s white supremacist to paint them pink.

That's a lot of high-paying jobs going away. Not to mention Diablo is kind of in the middle of nowhere. Not the worst place to have a power plant. Where will they be drawing the power from now? If we could find a pragmatic method of disposal, nuclear power is one of the better options.
Agreed. I don’t think that the alternative has been lined up. But nuclear = bad, so that’s all that matters to the voting base.

Didn't you get the memo? Youtube and Instagram influencing are the new working man media.
:ROFLMAO:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
for sure. Also for diversity sake. Only white people have pink nipples, therefore it’s white supremacist to paint them pink.

Agreed. I don’t think that the alternative has been lined up. But nuclear = bad, so that’s all that matters to the voting base.

:ROFLMAO:
Not true.

Fvck ‘um. Let them sit around in the dark.

Reactions: grapedrink

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
You're advocating for a dressed-up version of the projects. It's great for the poor and woke hipsters who eschew kids for ironic mustaches but not so much for everyone else. Who wants to deal with all the constant noise, bums, abysmal schools when you have a much more pleasant alternative?

Guess what? People in those other western developed nations also prefer the quiet of the suburbs/countryside.
yes some people prefer quiet of the suburbs and countryside but it’s not physically possible to have countryside or continue to build suburbs with single family homes in Southern California.

why is everybody denying the fact that you can’t infinitely build suburbs and add millions of cars to the already congested roads?

literally burying your heads in the sand.

I mean there are 4 million people living in LA and everybody is pretending they live in the countryside.

Meanwhile it takes an hour to drive 5 miles.

nobody thinks that this is fucking bizarre?

1577426289267.jpeg

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
I already told you everything... look at thousand oaks, before you prattle on.

It is the way it is because that's what they want, otherwise they would move closer to their jobs.

You just want everyone to get out of your way.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
I already told you everything... look at thousand oaks, before you prattle on.

It is the way it is because that's what they want, otherwise they would move closer to their jobs.

You just want everyone to get out of your way.
I get it, I live in a suburban home.

the problem is, continuing with that kind of development is not infinitely sustainable.

Every new development east of 78 in Oceanside is 2,3 story townhomes.
It’s kind of halfassing it because they are not doing anything to expand transportation infrastructure so traffic will be even denser. Dumb.

can you post a link about what they did in Thousand Oaks? Curious.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Says the guy who lives 80 miles from most of his work.

Every one of the drivers in those cars could choose to stuff their family into a 1bd apt within a short bus ride to their work if they really valued urbanism that much. Supposedly the 400sf apartment for the family of 4 is a thing in certain asian cities, so it's doable.

Why don't tell us all why it is you don't live in a studio apt in the North Hollywood Arts district?

My work is everywhere.
Wherever I live I would need to drive/fly.
I don’t work every day and I also work from home.

but majority of people have 9-5 jobs and commute.

nice non sequitur tho.

I don’t live in North Hollywood because surf sucks and cycling sucks. I lived in Culver City for a while and getting to (shitty) surf or trying to ride a bike was a no go.

I have an apartment in a city too.

if I could afford a place In Southern California where I can walk to stores and run errands on my bike, I’d do it tomorrow.

Last edited:

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
I'm not trying to teach you anything, I'm just stating the obvious.

Where in California can you do anything without a car?

Literally, there are no alternatives but to drive for every little thing.

And it's predominantly 1 person to a car.
True..
Re: one person per car. Carpool lanes is one of the stupidest ideas they ever came up with

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
True..
Re: one person per car. Carpool lanes is one of the stupidest ideas they ever came up with
unless you have someone in the car...

what they did on 15 between Esco and SD worked out good.

Paid or HOV, 2/3 lanes, switching lanes depending on the flow of traffic.... it’s almost like 21st century over there. I-5 is a different story. Lulz

1577431021804.jpeg

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
True..
I wonder what % of carpool lane drivers are husband/wife or groups of friends on vacation versus actual commuters. That’s the only time I ever use it :ROFLMAO: