Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Farther up, but how far?

- Measurements from favourite boards?
- Theories?
- Other thoughts?

Going to shape an 8'6 gun, probably 8'6 x 20 1/2 x 3"and a bit. Dedicated quad. Would do a 9'0, but this is all I can eke out of my blank.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I have a Padillac - 8’6 x 21 x 3

Rears are 8 in off the tail

Fronts are 15

Measured from tip of tail at stringer to trailing edge.
I was going to PM you. Thank you, good sir!
(Trailing edge of actual fin, or Shapers Mark? Oh, and what fins do you run?)

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I was going to PM you. Thank you, good sir!
(Trailing edge of actual fin, or Shapers Mark? Oh, and what fins do you run?)
Actual fin.

I run these in the front....

And these rears...

I must say this though...

This is the first padillac I’ve had, first 8’6 quad I’ve had and I’ve only used these fins on it.

I haven’t drown so I’m sticking with them.

I’m 6’2 - 190.

I like small fins for big surf.

Reactions: MathDebater and Maz

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Haha, sounds like me :) Similar size; like smaller fins; happy to stay alive.

Thanks again, mate.

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
I have a Padillac - 8’6 x 21 x 3

Rears are 8 in off the tail

Fronts are 15

Measured from tip of tail at stringer to trailing edge.
Nice bro. Thanks for the info. So you measured a straight line over the stringer, from the tip of the tail to the beginning of the fins, on the stringer too?
Bro me and my shaper are doing this exact project, 8''6''. If you could post a picture of that measurement, for me to send him, and would so highly aprecciate. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Nice bro. Thanks for the info. So you measured a straight line over the stringer, from the tip of the tail to the beginning of the fins, on the stringer too?
Bro me and my shaper are doing this exact project, 8''6''. If you could post a picture of that measurement, for me to send him, and would so highly aprecciate. Thanks again!
my original numbers were wrong. Pics coming.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
heres pics....

Freedom inches...

3C7218EA-13AB-4231-BB2C-7E0AC858C269.jpeg5ACFE247-3222-4C1B-BC17-EE159228BF00.jpeg

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
Wow so you have a thruster option there. I usually see Pyzel's videos him saying the padillac is only a quad because the four fins are more forward than usual, so a thruster back fin would compromise position. Do you think he's done yours set back from other padillacs because of that? Or just put a thruster back fin without messing with the quad position for you to have an extra option and test it out? How do you like it? Thanksssss cheers

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Wow so you have a thruster option there. I usually see Pyzel's videos him saying the padillac is only a quad because the four fins are more forward than usual, so a thruster back fin would compromise position. Do you think he's done yours set back from other padillacs because of that? Or just put a thruster back fin without messing with the quad position for you to have an extra option and test it out? How do you like it? Thanksssss cheers
It’s a custom that was made for @surfysurfy1476. Maybe he can chime in. Pretty sure it’s the normal quad placement with a center box put in further forward to match with the fronts.

Not sure though.

‘I’ve only ridden it as quad.

On that board I’m just shooting straight for the shoulder without getting killed so...

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Im going to be somewhere tomorrow where it is very likely I will see a stock 8’6 quad padillac. I will take measurements.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Several followed long time top shapers don't increase the spread enough as they go up in size

These were copied or influenced positions and became the rule among the elite ;-)

Guessing what fins to use takes it even further from optimum - when its Sooo important = huge waves

Last edited:
Reactions: JDJ

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
Yeah I have a Ghost 6'2" and it is 11" and 5".
Now thanks to Duffy LaCoronilla I know that a Padillac 8'6" is 7,5" and 14".
Wonder how Pyzel goes with the 7' - 8' feet range boards...