5 Guys

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
I agree with brukins. I like the burgers and fries there. Every now and then I feel like I have too much money in my pocket so I'll go there.

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
The worst is Phoenix.

I'm not sure if it was just the terminal we were in (which was huge) but basically it was all sit down dining or take out from the sit down places - minimum $20 plate.

So we decided f-ck this, we'll just get a prepackaged sh!t sandwich from the news store.

The restaurants were one step ahead - they had their sandwich items prepackaged at the newsstands for the the same price as the sit down menu.

Very clever.

I'm stuck in an airport right, prices are ridiculous for food. Found a brewery bar with a $9 8.5% pint. A liquid lunch it is for me over a $16 single burger combo from BK.

And yes, five guys is highly overrated and not worth $11 for just a burger. Cookout here in NC gets you a shake, good thicker burg, fries, and another side for $11. Used to be $6 6x years ago :(

I love using the burger index on my parents when they start bitching about economics, lazy people, house prices, and cost of living.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Am I the only one who’s getting over this whole smash burger trend?

The other day I had an Oklahoma smash burger at a spot on Beverly called “burger she wrote” . While I totally enjoyed it I’m starting to miss a good ole thick hand packed patty that’s got a good char on it while being rare in the middle.
Probably my favorite. A good diner char - non-pretentious bun, pickle on the side and coleslaw. That's enough - no fries. I think its simplicity sort of brings the char and beef front and center.

I grew up on what my parents made - ground beef with salt and maybe some Worcestershire sauce mixed in - kind of fat in the middle - fried in a cast iron pan - I liked it fine. But at 10 years old I went to a CYO cookout at church and got a simple out of the box frozen patty charred up on a big charcoal grill - wow - a different world - best thing I ever tasted! I went to a really Irish really small bar once and surprisingly got virtually the same burger my parents always made - of course - because we're Irish :LOL: . I never knew....

Reactions: keenfish

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
never been.

In and Out is still my budget counter service burger
Never been to 5 Guys or Smash Burger.

Prefer Red Robin if you can find one, they've been closing up shop in San Diego it would seem.

In & Out is good every blue moon. Singles only.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Best value burger ever was the happy hour special at the Sportsman in Camarillo. $5.99 for a really good cheeseburger and fries. I used to stay at the crappy HIE (now a Fairfield Inn and a bit nicer) across the parking lot just for that dumb burger.....

• Haha
Reactions: PJ

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I almost forgot!

The best kept secret for burgers, fries, chicken tenders, etc. are the Little League snack shacks. Cheap, better quality sirloin patties (Costco is my guess) than most of the fast food places, and taste just fine to me. Double cheeseburger, fries, gatorade, etc. out the door for maybe 10. Chicken tenders with fries for 8.

Happens to be a field in my neighborhood too.

Jan 4, 2009
San Diego
There used to be a dive restaurant in Haleiwa where the Beach House is now that you could 5 hamburgers for a dollar. we would each order like 10-15 burgers each and munch out. I forgot the name, but this was in the late 70's early 80's.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
My burger hall of fame

Mom and Pop League
Jack’s in Santa Cruz
Scott’s in the Reny’s parking lot (Maine)
Jalama burger

Gentrified League:
Father’s Office (Santa Monica)

Fast Food Division:
Big Mac
In n Out

Last edited:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
$32 burger at Tavern on the Green in Central Park.

So, so, so not worth it. Good, but not that good.