2024 Land Cruiser

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Since we're doing the Toyota appreciation thread, here are couple of specimens I found on the med islands.

1708722984625.jpeg

This one is an interesting mash-up, a VW badge, I presume diesel Rabbit 4 banger.

1708723082354.jpeg

1708723665182.jpeg

BONUS: a Unimog that's an actual work truck.

1708723162026.jpeg

Nov 16, 2023
no. i think that was the gasser with the 8 speed.

2.8 has the 6spd. currently at 108k mi had a few exhaust sensor issues along the way. these little diesels burn really clean but at the expense of a finicky exhaust
I have the ‘18 zr2 with diesel engine . Had to have the def system replaced which was under warranty. Otherwise love the truck and plan on keeping her til the bitter end.

Reactions: doc_flavonoid

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Since we're doing the Toyota appreciation thread, here are couple of specimens I found on the med islands.

View attachment 173511

This one is an interesting mash-up, a VW badge, I presume diesel Rabbit 4 banger.

View attachment 173512

View attachment 173514

BONUS: a Unimog that's an actual work truck.

View attachment 173513
The Datsuns were great Baja trucks. Boards, motos, and gear in the back. Good mileage. Good clearance.

The last one, are those muertos?

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
I have the ‘18 zr2 with diesel engine . Had to have the def system replaced which was under warranty. Otherwise love the truck and plan on keeping her til the bitter end.
so you know the drill. im out of warranty now and seriously considering a def delete

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot
Jul 18, 2019
My 2022 Subaru cost $27,000 and fits my Zippifish and my HA 1125 foil board plus my brother's Kalama foil board with the seat down out of view of car thieves, fits my family and Brazilian wife when I drive her to yoga. I can smoke hits in the back seat without worrying about a bust because the windows are tinted. I picked up my 85 inch Samsung TV at Costco this weekend and it fit in the back with the hatch closed and the seats down. It gets good gas mileage and has 4 by 4 so it's good for Baja missions and gets 35mpg on road trips. I don't need an expensive gas guzzler Land Rover for twice the cost haha lol!

• Haha
Reactions: keenfish

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
My 2022 Subaru cost $27,000 and fits my Zippifish and my HA 1125 foil board plus my brother's Kalama foil board with the seat down out of view of car thieves, fits my family and Brazilian wife when I drive her to yoga. I can smoke hits in the back seat without worrying about a bust because the windows are tinted. I picked up my 85 inch Samsung TV at Costco this weekend and it fit in the back with the hatch closed and the seats down. It gets good gas mileage and has 4 by 4 so it's good for Baja missions and gets 35mpg on road trips. I don't need an expensive gas guzzler Land Rover for twice the cost haha lol!
Ok, who's troll are you? Spill it. :roflmao:

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
Low tide

Do Falc next!

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Owned a 3rd gen 4runner when I lived in New Zealand and absolutely loved it.

Bought a 5th gen in 2018 and it's been the perfect vehicle.

I like the looks of the new Land Cruiser, GX and Tacoma. I'm sure the 6th gen will be a home run as well. Not worried about the 4cyl turbo or the hybrid versions. The 4cyl turbo has been in the Lexus NX since 2021 and it's been solid.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Been looking for an old Taco or 4Runner for my grom. A buddy just told me he’s gonna sell his ‘08 V8 4Runner. Pretty sure that‘s the same set up as the older Lexus GX. Any opinions on the V8? Obviously fuel economy is sh!t but….:shrug:
Like everyone is saying, the V8 is rock solid. I've got an '07 and the engine's been rock solid (I've been doing scheduled maintenace). The only thing that's a bit wonky is that the steering column has developed some play — feels loose. This is apparently somewhat common. Not sure if any here has experienced that.

Reactions: jkb and sushipop

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Like everyone is saying, the V8 is rock solid. I've got an '07 and the engine's been rock solid (I've been doing scheduled maintenace). The only thing that's a bit wonky is that the steering column has developed some play — feels loose. This is apparently somewhat common. Not sure if any here has experienced that.
Have you had an alignment lately?

Sometimes your steering can feel loose when your caster numbers fall too low out of spec. Having a higher caster number will make the vehicles steering feel tighter.

If it's not that then it's probably old bushings. Worn UCA, LCA, or sway bar bushings causing some play.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13

Sometimes your steering can feel loose when your caster numbers fall too low out of spec. Having a higher caster number will make the vehicles steering feel tighter.

If it's not that then it's probably old bushings. Worn UCA, LCA, or sway bar bushings causing some play.
Look at the drivetrain flex from JKB!!!!

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

My guess was tie rod ends?

Last edited:
Reactions: jkb

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019

No alignments lately. Bushings are all good. The issue is directly in the steering column. The 4th gens have a steering column that's designed to collapse/break into two pieces if you ever get into a head-on collision. And that joint is the issue. There's an erBB of 4runners that shows a few potential fixes, I just haven't done anything about it yet. It's not too bad unless I'm on a washboard road.... or simply trying to turn around in the 4 mile lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkb