2024 Land Cruiser

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
We have a direct injection turbo in my wife's honda and I love the motor, performance and mileage wise. The problem is I've already gone through injectors at only 120K. Honda took care of most of it though. Honda and Toyota typically take better care of customers when problems come up (from what my dealer clients have told me).

I can get 36 MPG on the road (have gotten 38 before) in our CRV which is pretty damn good for a non hybrid small suv. Has plenty of power and good torque curve with the turbo.
My lady has a turbo Civic and it's been a great car. 42mpg.

It's also a super fun car to drive and has more legroom than my GX somehow...

We got it for her as a commuter but she just recently got a remote job so now we are looking at something a little more capable and roomy for us to drive around on the weekends. The Civic is no bueno for forest roads. Originally when we were looking for a car for her she was set on the Rav4 but I think the Civic has turned her into a Honda fan so she might end up going CRV.

Dec 10, 2023
St. Pete’s
I’m a German car guy, always have been (besides my old MR2’s) and I think Toyota have the right idea with ICE/hybrid/turbo motors… vs EV… this is just my opinion tho… it makes the most sense. I don’t want this to start a huge debate..

Reactions: sdsrfr

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
Been looking for an old Taco or 4Runner for my grom. A buddy just told me he’s gonna sell his ‘08 V8 4Runner. Pretty sure that‘s the same set up as the older Lexus GX. Any opinions on the V8? Obviously fuel economy is sh!t but….:shrug:
My wife’s 03 with the 4.7 has around 233,000 miles on it. She got it used with like 12k miles on it in 05. Like everyone says, timing belts at 100k, would add might as well do water pump and possibly radiator at that point (I think we did that on hers around 150k).

Super reliable, full time AWD on the v8 4x4 models, same as gx470. We finally had a transfer case leak a few months ago.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
My lady has a turbo Civic and it's been a great car. 42mpg.

It's also a super fun car to drive and has more legroom than my GX somehow...

We got it for her as a commuter but she just recently got a remote job so now we are looking at something a little more capable and roomy for us to drive around on the weekends. The Civic is no bueno for forest roads. Originally when we were looking for a car for her she was set on the Rav4 but I think the Civic has turned her into a Honda fan so she might end up going CRV.
I see a Wilderness Edition Subaru in your future. They pair well with Tevas and Waterfalls

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
I was trying to talk my wife into one of these to replace the 4Runner. Every once in a while one will pop up with hardly any miles.

:love:

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Did you have the transmission problem ?
no. i think that was the gasser with the 8 speed.

2.8 has the 6spd. currently at 108k mi had a few exhaust sensor issues along the way. these little diesels burn really clean but at the expense of a finicky exhaust