2020 can fck off!

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
I would volunteer do the "third watch" from 3 or 4 in the morning until 6 and then dawn patrol. I actually surfed a lot when our daughter was an infant. You got this.
yup this is exactly what i've been doing with my 6 mo old. wake up 430. diaper change and bottle then burp. put them back into bed with momma and I'm out the door at 5. surf for couple hours and I'm back at home by 8 when they're both getting up. The dawn patrols is a lot easier perception wise on momma while shes sleeping then me digging out is the afternoon. I keep these early feedings going during the week too before work and it's nice to have a little 1v1 bonding time. Congrats !

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
yup this is exactly what i've been doing with my 6 mo old. wake up 430. diaper change and bottle then burp. put them back into bed with momma and I'm out the door at 5. surf for couple hours and I'm back at home by 8 when they're both getting up. The dawn patrols is a lot easier perception wise on momma while shes sleeping then me digging out is the afternoon. I keep these early feedings going during the week too before work and it's nice to have a little 1v1 bonding time. Congrats !
110% pro move right there

Reactions: Aruka and racer1

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Our cleaning guy's wife offered to carry a baby for us just last week: gestational surrogacy. And while it was a beautiful offer, and she was 100% on board (this woman quote "loves being pregnant" and has delivered two healthy beautiful kids of their own, and the idea was all her own), that ship sailed for us several years ago (when we may have leapt at the chance.) When i was first told of this offer ( i heard it first, before my wife) i mentally started the process of getting excited about possibly having a child, in 2020 no less, at 41, on the assumption that my wife would 100% want to give it a shot. But, she has several years on me, and even she was like "i just don't want to have a teenager in my mid 60's. I want you/us to be able to "retire" early, buy land in exotic locales, all of it." so we graciously and with MUCH loving gratitude, declined. Emotional couple of days, but ultimately helped us finally just put all of the "what if's" to bed. anyway, my sister has 3 kids so the genetics continue, just not mine. We're all just specks of dust floating around in space anyway, and legacy is really just peer pressure from dead people.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Never had any that I know of... Though I was fooled a few times, but fate had its way in the end.

It is entirely possible there's a little vietnamese 9'4'' running around hawaii somewhere on the big island though.

Guess I should do one of those dna tests to find out one day.

NAH!!!!!!

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
keep watching her Insta, she just might be if sailor boy here keeps outting their laundry here in the erBB.

how long until the Mrs. Subway troll appears?
she can handle it. She's met more erBB than probably most actual erBB. And this isn't really "dirty" laundry, just something that happened last week and was tangentially related to the thread. And no, i can't imagine being 68 watching my kid graduating high school. yikes.

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Aloha and Congrats Racer!

We were living on Kauai when we found out (technically I think that gives my son some HI roots) and I was FLOORED!

Honestly it was probably the heaviest news of my life being just shy of 28. Certainly not planned and I was just getting into the groove of HI living after having moved there from the Caribbean.

It took about a week or two for me to come to terms with the new reality. Once i did though, I made the decision that I would be the best dad I could be and embrace the experience fully.

10 years later, back in the Caribbean and feel so blessed for the gift I was given in the form of my son. Our family unit is tight! We surf together, sleep in a little 12 x 16' shack together, and have a real old school way of living with no TV's or screens, home cooked meals from food we grow, and surrounded by beauty on this little Caribbean island. Best 10 years of my life for sure! Its been the most amazing experience and wonderful memories.

Now that I totally glorified this thing called being a dad or Papa as my son calls me, lets be honest. It ain't all fun and games. Each age and maturity level brings new challenges along with new facets to your relationship with your offspring. I have to play good cop/bad cop all the time and its a fine line.

Just remember, the first three years really set the foundation. I encourage you to get that kid sleeping on his own ASAP. Don't be one of those parents letting their kids sleep in their bed with them at three years old. And for godsakes, keep the kid away from screens. Start reading to the grom now while in the belly. Read to them as much as you can now and later. My son is the most voracious reader I have ever met. He literally devours books and I attribute it to lack of screens and how much we read to him in those early stages. His vocabulary is off the chart and his love for reading has served him well in the academic arena.

Enjoy every minute, because it truly is a unique experience and each stage can never be relived. Aloha!

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Our cleaning guy's wife offered to carry a baby for us just last week: gestational surrogacy. And while it was a beautiful offer, and she was 100% on board (this woman quote "loves being pregnant" and has delivered two healthy beautiful kids of their own, and the idea was all her own), that ship sailed for us several years ago (when we may have leapt at the chance.) When i was first told of this offer ( i heard it first, before my wife) i mentally started the process of getting excited about possibly having a child, in 2020 no less, at 41, on the assumption that my wife would 100% want to give it a shot. But, she has several years on me, and even she was like "i just don't want to have a teenager in my mid 60's. I want you/us to be able to "retire" early, buy land in exotic locales, all of it." so we graciously and with MUCH loving gratitude, declined. Emotional couple of days, but ultimately helped us finally just put all of the "what if's" to bed. anyway, my sister has 3 kids so the genetics continue, just not mine. We're all just specks of dust floating around in space anyway, and legacy is really just peer pressure from dead people.
tl:dr - no threesome

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
You fckers. I'm 40. Wife is 35. Doing the math... this child will be going to college when I'm 58.
College will be $85K a year by then. Super chill.

I am self employed, flexible schedule and can work from anywhere, so I don't feel a need to retire.
But if/when we have a 2nd that'll be two tuitions in my early 60's. RADICAL!

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
You fckers. I'm 40. Wife is 35. Doing the math... this child will be going to college when I'm 58.

I am self employed, flexible schedule and can work from anywhere, so I don't feel a need to retire.
Congrats bro!!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

I'm 59. My daughter is 16. Never seemed an issue at all. She's mellow as hell and has never been a problem. Straight A student (proud dad bragging now). She's going to college (applying now) as I retire. Wasn't sure how we'd pull that off, but 2 years at community college and then, given my paltry pension, she'll be eligible for financial aid.

Don't stress about it. Things work out. You'll find a way.

Read to him/her. Play Baby Beethoven. Expose them to nature. For your part, stay fit.

ps my attempts to have a surf prodigy totally backfired. Now my daughter actually told me the other day, after skin diving (she likes that), "I have an irrational fear of waves." So, don't dunk 'em when they're infants.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
gestational surrogacy.
Whenever I hear this, it sounds like an excuse when you get caught banging hookers. "Honestly, honey, this is our gestational surrogate! She'll be carrying our child! Don't you remember us talking about me pulling the money out of the ATM for this? Oh and there may be a few other ones you should know about..."