1/3 of Texas is without power right now...

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Friends have them. I don't like them.

I travel a lot around this beautiful state of ours and well beyond. I like the idea of saving on gas, but no way in hell I want to add hours onto every trip for charging station stops.

That said, I have a feeling my next vehicle will be a hybrid, based on rumors for the next gen 4Runners.

Reactions: Surfdog

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Have any of you had much experience with a Diesel engine in cold environments? Most people in cold environments need to plug their Diesel engines into engine block heaters if they want them to start.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
The governors of New Jersey, New York, and California are primarily to blame.
Only partially. This all EV-auto lineups have been cooking for a long time. Tesla, push for corps to be more green, etc. have all contributed to what's coming. The gov just sped up the process by implementing that all-EV rule for 2030 or whenver.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
What. Yesterday selling boot straps and now asking for federal assistance is not a thing?
I know you like to hysterically claim something or other about deregulation....but there's not a remarkable difference between CAISO and ERCOT....except CAISO needs to curtail delivery when there's a breeze. Oh yeah...there's also a difference in the cost of power. Texas power is as clean or cleaner depending on demand and cheaper by greater than half always. Was Texas unprepared for this event...yes. They will learn and change policy. California has led the nation in power outages for decades and now turns the power off when the wind blows...has for years. When will California learn??

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I know you like to hysterically claim something or other about deregulation....but there's not a remarkable difference between CAISO and ERCOT....except CAISO needs to curtail delivery when there's a breeze. Oh yeah...there's also a difference in the cost of power. Texas power is as clean or cleaner depending on demand and cheaper by greater than half always. Was Texas unprepared for this event...yes. They will learn and change policy. California has led the nation in power outages for decades and now turns the power off when the wind blows...has for years. When will California learn??
Hyperbole much:violin:
Maybe if you understand deregulation you would be better at regulating your outrage.
Texas wants you, please go and find your happy.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Friends have them. I don't like them.

I travel a lot around this beautiful state of ours and well beyond. I like the idea of saving on gas, but no way in hell I want to add hours onto every trip for charging station stops.

That said, I have a feeling my next vehicle will be a hybrid, based on rumors for the next gen 4Runners.
Until hydrogen fuel cells become more prevalent and a cheaper way to produce is found, hybrid engines will likely be more favorable to the general public than a pure EV. Still a few too many limitations to carefree and impulse driving to put 100% faith in EV's, for the near future, at least.

I really hope EV's can become more convenient for all forms of travel, but I still think hydrogen fuel cells would be a MUCH better overall environmentally conscious replacement to the ICE.

My idea would be to figure a way to put a mini hydrogen converter built into the engine. So basically you can fill your tank with a garden hose. And exhaust is steam or water vapor only. Cities might have a bit higher humidity:p, but better than smog.

Last edited:
Reactions: sizzld1

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Remember back in March 2000.......?

“Children just aren’t going to know what snow is,”

And this guy was at least partially right......

'Heavy snow will return occasionally, says Dr Viner, but when it does we will be unprepared. “We’re really going to get caught out. Snow will probably cause chaos in 20 years time,” he said.':monkey:

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
This is precisely why they are out of power. Frozen windmills.

This is an example of why I keep saying it is impossible to meet our energy needs with wind and solar.

And guess how they unfreeze the windmills...go on, take a guess!
LOL ...... try Texas has its own deregulated and privatized power grid .... (they didn't want Federal regulations such as "winterizing" to get in the way with boosting profits) that has now been crippled by frozen coal and gas plants. Another failed right-wing Republican policy. Interesting how countries that rely heavily on renewable energy in cold climates like Iceland, Sweden, Norway don't seem to have any issues with energy during extreme cold conditions.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Norway Switz and Iceland lay near their wood burning stoves and speedphuk between aquavit shots all winter long to stay warm.

• Haha
Reactions: PPK96754

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
LOL ...... try Texas has its own deregulated and privatized power grid .... (they didn't want Federal regulations such as "winterizing" to get in the way with boosting profits) that has now been crippled by frozen coal and gas plants. Another failed right-wing Republican policy. Interesting how countries that rely heavily on renewable energy in cold climates like Iceland, Sweden, Norway don't seem to have any issues with energy during extreme cold conditions.
Iceland has geothermal
Sweden gets 40% of their power from nuclear
Norway’s most dominant industry is oil and gas.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Iceland has geothermal
Sweden gets 40% of their power from nuclear
Norway’s most dominant industry is oil and gas.
:rolleyes:

"In Norway, 98 percent of the electricity production come from renewable energy sources. Hydropower is the source of most of the production."

So either evasive or just wrong.

Reactions: CutnSnip

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
:rolleyes:

"In Norway, 98 percent of the electricity production come from renewable energy sources. Hydropower is the source of most of the production."

We should do more hydro power here. Wonder why we don’t.:socrazy:

so to recap, poster tries to invalidate my observation about the limitations of wind and solar when it comes to cold weather and cites three cold weather countries that don’t really use much wind and solar in his argument.

lol.

And Norway pays for all of this with money from their OIL AND GAS industry.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Again, not the point. But feel free to keep moving goal posts. I was just pointing out your response to was either intentionally evasive or just incorrect. The post you were responding to referred specifically to "renewable energy." lol

Last edited:
Reactions: manbearpig