Feb 20, 2003
friend surfed moonlight and saw a hughe shark breech

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Starved for news?
17' massive?
Really?
Go for a snorkel with it and let us know how you feel about "'massive" after :monkey: Fisherman friend caught a male white in his net recently in that size range, probably a little smaller. It didn't have the submarine girth of a big mama, but it was sharp and sleek and pointy and spooky and a few miles from a popular surf spot. The gonads were like 3-4 feet long. He tied off the tail from the boom and hoisted it partially out of the water, cut it out of the net and also video'd it swimming away. It was totally massive and his little-ish boat was dwarfed by the thing. So gnarly and some serious fisherman skillz.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
All muscle and a mouth filled with teeth sharp as glass. I have a jaw from a wee 5-6 footer and it's a lethal weapon.

Reactions: keenfish

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
SCUBA dive regularly with pretty big Makos. (Marrajo = local name). Nothing near that size, but I'd be honored to be in the water with such a specimen. If it eats you, c'est la vie.... But chances are, it won't as you haven't the proper body fat percentage... (At least I sure don't, struggling to keep >15%).

As far as size goes, I know there's record of larger ones being caught....

'Cojimar Monster' just to name one example:

-jFsqRXzjdkw.jpg

You are aware that these animals can reach 80 years of age, right? And that for the most part the "giants" caught so far haven't exceed ~20 years old?

Personally, imho, there are much bigger beasts out there, they're just too smart to get captured.

I'd be willing to bet that island off of SA has a few beasts that break the 25 foot barrier.

:shrug::computer::shaka:

• Haha
Reactions: parkiteric

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I'm just reading The Devil's Teeth for a bit of fun. The experts seem to think the biggest ones hang out around the Farallones. They explain some stuff about how the SA and Aus ones don't get quite as big as the ones that visit there. Yada, yada, yada...

Reactions: johnson7 and jkb

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
SCUBA dive regularly with pretty big Makos. (Marrajo = local name). Nothing near that size, but I'd be honored to be in the water with such a specimen. If it eats you, c'est la vie.... But chances are, it won't as you haven't the proper body fat percentage... (At least I sure don't, struggling to keep >15%).

As far as size goes, I know there's record of larger ones being caught....

'Cojimar Monster' just to name one example:

View attachment 118269

You are aware that these animals can reach 80 years of age, right? And that for the most part the "giants" caught so far haven't exceed ~20 years old?

Personally, imho, there are much bigger beasts out there, they're just too smart to get captured.

I'd be willing to bet that island off of SA has a few beasts that break the 25 foot barrier.

:shrug::computer::shaka:
You know how it knows you don't have enough body fat? By taking a very tiny and delicate nip, enough to leave your bowels hanging.

• Haha
Reactions: Clayster

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
mind you, nowhere and in no way, am I inferring that a 17'er is not a BIG FISH. It is.

But MASSIVE?

20+ Is where massive starts me thinks.

Besides, where's the "news" story here...

"Shark in the Ocean, story at 12"?

:shrug:

Where He at Taco Bell waiting on a drive thru order? Now THAT'S news!

:roflmao: