Search results

1. M

Kauai rental cars?

Funny, I had the same question. All I could think of was Kuhio Ford and maybe some condos.
  2. M

Hawaii- Done

If it makes everyone feel better, I think my carpenter told me about the spot a month or two ago (I live on the island these days and own a house here). That said...he didn't tell me exactly where. And, I've been to the other place mentioned for sure. As for localism, I'll stand by what I always...
  3. M

Kauai rental cars?

Buy a cheap reliable car where you are and ship it here. From west coast, only $1700. Inexpensive used cars here are often rusty and falling apart.
  4. M

Hawaii- Done

Will do! "By the gate" is definitely where I saw everyone. Didn't know there was public access there but lots of places here are like that I suppose. There's a place by me where I didn't see anyone all year until recently.
  5. M

Hawaii- Done

"The highway on Kauai's East side was clogged with cars in one particular area and Kealia Beach was glassy with crispy little waves." That was a few days ago? Saw a crap load of cars parked on the side of the highway and thought it was someone having a party but making everyone park on the...
  6. M

Reno

Reno was a super nice guy the couple of times i spoke to him. Not sure why anyone would bad mouth him...especially given what just happened. Hope he recovers.
  7. M

We need to tax rich people less......

That's nothing. Ran into Larry Page camped out in Micronesia (P-pass). His yacht was traveling with a support yacht (I think actually Sergei Brin), which had a support speed boat, which had support jet skis. When his significant other was surfing P-pass (pushed into waves by flown in pro level...
  8. M

Shipping BIG surfboards to Hawaii

Love Kilauea. Beautiful spot to be for a "long time"!! Been pretty busy but we've been down there a few times recently so I could push my kid into waves etc. It's my favorite spot but the road schedule caught me off guard at least once. Packed the family up and headed over only to find it...
  9. M

Ha. No. I'm an adult...but his place is/was just south of us I think (the first road access coming from Kapa'a direction...we're the second [road name is the same]). What part of the island are you on? No need to be too specific if you don't want to.
  10. M

Sorry! Missed this question before...alerts don't get emailed to me (and been pretty busy). We're in Aliomanu Estates not too far from Papa'a Bay. So really at the edge of the north shore.
  11. M

Ha. We're not there yet. We head over this weekend...but I've definitely been watching that weather.
  12. M

Thanks for all the recommendations...very helpful and will check them out!
  13. M

Thanks, will look her up. Moving to Kaua'i.
  14. M

I'll check Delta Cargo, etc. I thought you needed a commercial account with them though (I've received boards from Greg Griffin from them, I think).
  15. M

It's a Roger Hinds' shape that looks a bit more like a big gun than a glider...one of the most versatile boards I've ridden. Realizing Hawaii waves are different, I've ridden the thing in overhead waves here locally (and all the way down to knee high). It really does anything. I've actually...
  16. M

Thanks! Not sure of the shipping routes. I know they eliminated most of the direct flying routes to Kaua'i which is where we're headed though. Thought about reaching out to Bird...other recommendations appreciated! As for Autoprax's reply...I'm somehow finding it pretty amusing!
  17. M

Anyone know of reasonably priced options for shipping a really big board like a longboard or glider to Hawaii (from San Diego)? And if you've done it before, did they "survive" damage free? My family is moving there. I can take my short boards via plane, but I have 11' and 12' boards that I...
  18. M

Sumba Island Indonesia

I've been. Go. Amazing place all around. I only surfed Occy's Left/Nihiwatu but there are definitely other waves around (people staying with us went and were surfing a right). That old show "On Surfari" showcases the place FYI but a few things in that show aren't as authentic as what I...
  19. M

Puerto Penasco Mexico

I haven't been there for decades....but doubt there is surf there and don't remember anything other than occasional shore pound just sufficient to knock my old GF face first into the sand.. Look at where it is...not much exposure to anything. But, as always...I could be wrong.
  20. M

Maldives, worth it?

Used to hesitate to post about the place but since it's plastered all over top travel lists these days...check out what used to be called Nihiwatu on Sumba (now "Nihi"). Perfect for a honeymoon and surf...especially if you're goofy. I'm regular....but not much to complain about there (unless you...