Shipping BIG surfboards to Hawaii

mpequignot

OTF status
Nov 4, 2009
Anyone know of reasonably priced options for shipping a really big board like a longboard or glider to Hawaii (from San Diego)? And if you've done it before, did they "survive" damage free?

My family is moving there. I can take my short boards via plane, but I have 11' and 12' boards that I want to get there somehow.

Thanks!

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Depends if you ship direct from point A to point B or if you transfer in HNL to your destination.
Less banging around from A to B. Different airlines, different pricing I would imagine

Skip Frye, "Bird," Josh Hall, or Hank Warner might know ~ Check with Joe Roper or his Son ~

*expect TomFoolery replies from the erBB ... like above

mpequignot

OTF status
Nov 4, 2009
Depends if you ship direct from point A to point B or if you transfer in HNL to your destination.
Less banging around from A to B. Different airlines, different pricing I would imagine

Skip Frye, "Bird," Josh Hall, or Hank Warner might know ~ Check with Joe Roper or his Son ~

*expect TomFoolery replies from the erBB ... like above
Thanks! Not sure of the shipping routes. I know they eliminated most of the direct flying routes to Kaua'i which is where we're headed though. Thought about reaching out to Bird...other recommendations appreciated!

As for Autoprax's reply...I'm somehow finding it pretty amusing!

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Thanks! Not sure of the shipping routes. I know they eliminated most of the direct flying routes to Kaua'i which is where we're headed though. Thought about reaching out to Bird...other recommendations appreciated!

As for Autoprax's reply...I'm somehow finding it pretty amusing!
Only place that you'll be able to ride your "gliders" is the Bay. South Shore / Poipu won't handle those large boards, maybe Waiohai, not Center's or PK's and certainly not Acid Drops. Maybe one spot on the West side.
Be proficient, on either board if you're riding Hanalei Bay. Only spot to really ride a "glider." Best use a leash. There are longboard riders who surf without a leash, in there 70's, both shapers, lifers on the north shore. Folks have no problem in calling other's out on drop in's. Some get sent to the beach just because. The north shore is a small, tight surfing community. You, your boards, your car and license plates will all get the once over. Just how it is when your "new" in town.
Seems like a lot of new folks moving to Kauai. Costco soft tops. Jeep all rigge with out of state plates. Big vans trying to go feral with out of state plates overnighting at a beach.
Get your shots before you fly. Kauai is supposed to reopen in April of some time.

mpequignot

OTF status
Nov 4, 2009
It's a Roger Hinds' shape that looks a bit more like a big gun than a glider...one of the most versatile boards I've ridden. Realizing Hawaii waves are different, I've ridden the thing in overhead waves here locally (and all the way down to knee high). It really does anything. I've actually surfed Hanalei a few times over the years (short and long boards). Lucked out with swells in shoulder season months...near perfection with not many people out. All of my experiences there have been met with very friendly people in the water. But then again I stay out of people's way, wait my turn, etc., so I generally don't run into trouble anywhere. Agreed that lots of people are moving there. All you have to do is look at real estate listings to see it...almost everything disappears in a very short time (as well as on Maui and Oahu). And when I was walking a beach on the east side last time I was there (November) I ran into someone from my San Diego area neighborhood and another guy from Northern California...both buying places nearby. We'll actually be out there next week. Bubble resort first to comply with quarantine laws and then to our house (we bought a place).

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Anyone know of reasonably priced options for shipping a really big board like a longboard or glider to Hawaii (from San Diego)? And if you've done it before, did they "survive" damage free?

My family is moving there. I can take my short boards via plane, but I have 11' and 12' boards that I want to get there somehow.

Thanks!
I know the molokai2oahu guys use these gnarly tube containers...think those things fit three prone paddleboards...gliders no problem. ulusurfer might be able to put you in touch with someone

mpequignot

OTF status
Nov 4, 2009
I'll check Delta Cargo, etc. I thought you needed a commercial account with them though (I've received boards from Greg Griffin from them, I think).

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
H2O logistics can do for you for a reasonable price. Was about 150 for a board when I got quoted

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
Know a few of those shapers contract out to Dolly Mancarella to ship them. She has an IG account. Just type in her name.
What Island you moving to?

ajmojave

OTF status
Aug 26, 2018
if you are in the Los Angeles area Aloha freight could be an option. they go by boat so you have to plan ahead. I usually ship my boards with them to my hotel or a friends house ahead of time and then no airline hassle. https://www.alohafreight.com