Kolohe Andino - No longer on O'Neill

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Every major skate shoe brand? Or am I misunderstanding the premise? Still took Nike two tries to finally get their foot in the door though, so your point about being closed off to outsiders at its core is still fairly accurate.
After I found out Charles Van Doren sold Van's and they only keep him on for promotion, I was kinda over that brand. They also fired Johnny Layton and several other skaters for not taking the Vax.

If it's not skater owned, I dont think the core skaters will buy the product.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
imo, KA followed the track of industry idol to burnout to a T.

these kids will look up to him as he did to AI, and the cycle will repeat.
Between being a big growth investment name back when Billabong was releasing Frothing, and having Nike, Target, and Red Bull, Kolohe should be sitting on a comfy crib in San Clamatojuice and a pile of investment money.

I'm glad olds like me aren't zoomer-perm'd enough to sport his gear and if the worst thing he ever did was beat up a board post-heat, that's not half bad.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Plenty of woodshops are not skater owned. Perhaps even the majority. Same with wheels, hardware, and some grip.

And in addition to shoe companies, over the years plenty of companies and skate shops were/are bankrolled by nonskaters. I can't remember a lot of specifics nowdays but Girl comes to mind...Big investment group being the owner and Rick Howard's wife being the brains.
I wouldn't count woodshops or as a skatebrand. More like a supplier. Girl is under the umbrella of crailtap (Chocolate, Royal, Lakai, 4-star, etc.). I didn't know they were purchased by someone.

Generally speaking, my point is that I think skateboard culture is way more closed off to outsiders than surfers. Look at Jake Phelps as an example. Huge gatekeeper that ran things for decades. Or how Street League (because it's "so mainstream") sits outside the world of skating, more or less.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I wouldn't count woodshops or as a skatebrand. More like a supplier. Girl is under the umbrella of crailtap (Chocolate, Royal, Lakai, 4-star, etc.). I didn't know they were purchased by someone.
I'm curious about this. Rick Howard lives close to me and skates the Redondo Pier park every so often. I thought he was an owner in crailtap? We've had beers after skating, but he's way more into talking sarfing than skating, so I haven't got into the intricacies of his skate biz.

• Wow
Reactions: ReForest

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I'm curious about this. Rick Howard lives close to me and skates the Redondo Pier park every so often. I thought he was an owner in crailtap? We've had beers after skating, but he's way more into talking sarfing than skating, so I haven't got into the intricacies of his skate biz.
Ya, I believe he is an owner along with a few other people. It's news to me that it sold.

Reactions: ChaseTMP
Jun 4, 2019
Ya, I believe he is an owner along with a few other people. It's news to me that it sold.
Altamont Capital made an investment into Crailtap back in 2015 (Same investment group that owned Dakine and Billabong at one point). Wasn't that big a deal since similar investments were becoming more common and nobody really cared much about Crail brands by that point anyway. Rick, Carrol, Megan, and Spike are all still partners.

Who owns actual hardgoods manufacturing probably hasn't mattered since the early 80s. More about who owns the distro/brand and to a lesser extent now where it's made.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Every major skate shoe brand? Or am I misunderstanding the premise? Still took Nike two tries to finally get their foot in the door though, so your point about being closed off to outsiders at its core is still fairly accurate.
For the brand piece, I was speaking to the hardgoods side. At large, I still think it's more closed off. Surfing, on the other hand, aspires to be mainstream. That's the goal of the WSL. Despite that, it's still a major part of surf culture. Every outlet covers the contest — often with a ton of detail. We talk about it here. The athletes aspire to be "professional."

The only skate contests getting any coverage are Dime's contest and the Copenhagan Open.

Last edited:

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
With all the perfectly poured concrete skateparks all over the world someone should start a skate themed tour called "Smoking Bowls " - get some punk bands and a weed sponsor - I'd go!

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I dont understand how no one has started a fin company making fins from recycled skate decks. I think the way the wood is layed and glued would create a great flex pattern for surf fins. I would totally buy a set of fins if I knew they were from recycled skate decks. Would probably sell better than "2%" lol.

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
How do skate pros make money?
Bagging a shoe sponsor with one of the big dogs. I believe the checks from hard good sponsors are pretty paltry for the most part. Clothing company, Energy drink sponsors, random lifestyle brand or maybe someone like Yeti if you're lucky. Some are probably working normal jobs.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
I dont understand how no one has started a fin company making fins from recycled skate decks. I think the way the wood is layed and glued would create a great flex pattern for surf fins. I would totally buy a set of fins if I knew they were from recycled skate decks. Would probably sell better than "2%" lol.
Someone did. It looks like it's out of business now

Fins looked cool though:

http://instagr.am/p/CJb8V7SHpPC/

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
My buddy Danny Dicola does this but on a very small scale and they're only glass-ons. He's got a deal with Xanadu in the works.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
Someone did. It looks like it's out of business now

Fins looked cool though:

http://instagr.am/p/CJb8V7SHpPC/
Surfing and surfers in general are too stupid/uneducated to do anything different than what's mainstream. Futures and FCS have the fin market on lockdown. I know that NVS seems to be getting more popular, but I wonder what percentage of the market they really have?

Somewhere there's a graveyard with tombstones that say LokBox, Red-X, O'Fish'l...

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Because they're not marine ply and don't handle water intrusion well I'd guess.

Reactions: Maz and bird.LA

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
How do skate pros make money?
Mainly -

Board royalties - if you have a deck it's usually $1 or $2 for every one sold.
Shoes - as others stated that's where the money is and there's usually incentives and requirements in those contracts
Apparel - not sure how it works
Energy drinks - that's where the big money is, which I don't understand.

Who actually drinks Red Bull?

In short, the majority don't make much. Prior to Red Bull your biggest meal ticket would be the shoe. Adidas and NB and Nike have entered the market, not sure how much they pay.

Last edited: