Kolohe Andino - No longer on O'Neill

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
I want to like where he’s headed with this, but fuck’n-a those clothes and artwork are hideous.
I don't think this stuff is marketed towards the 30 and up crowd, especially not for dudes in their 40s, 50s, 60s. This is pretty much the look that lots of kids/ teens/ early 20s are wearing these days. I'd imagine it'll go over well with the throwback-to-the-90s generation I see e-biking all over town. It's cool to see someone do something [slightly] different for once.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I don't think this stuff is marketed towards the 30 and up crowd, especially not for dudes in their 40s, 50s, 60s. This is pretty much the look that lots of kids/ teens/ early 20s are wearing these days. I'd imagine it'll go over well with the throwback-to-the-90s generation I see e-biking all over town. It's cool to see someone do something [slightly] different for once.
True. I was at a show at the Fonda this past Thursday night and I’m pretty sure I was the 4th oldest person there out of about 1000 people. I think they bussed in every young model from LA and what I noticed was GIGANTIC PANTS on the du’s that reminded me of skating around my college’s campus in 1989. I used to not believe my dad when he used to say “everything old becomes new again”.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Bingo...
classic hearing old dudes talk on a Forum about what works for kids is funny

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I am a middle-aged dork - guilty as charged. I’ve never met Chloe and am not rooting against him at all - I have no skin in the game.

it’s just funny seeing white, upper-class milquetoast guys from San Clemente trying to peddle urban wear. It’s akin to some Brothers in Compton launching a surf wear business.

Wish them all the best.

Bingo...
classic hearing old dudes talk on a Forum about what works for kids is funny
[/QUOTE]

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
True. I was at a show at the Fonda this past Thursday night and I’m pretty sure I was the 4th oldest person there out of about 1000 people. I think they bussed in every young model from LA and what I noticed was GIGANTIC PANTS on the du’s that reminded me of skating around my college’s campus in 1989. I used to not believe my dad when he used to say “everything old becomes new again”.
I"m bringing back pocket protectors.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I just listened to the L8 night with Choccy interview with Kolohe.

He's smart, just not in the traditional way.

The brand is a direct to consumer thing.

He said a number of things in the podcast that will likely prevent him from ever having certain types of sponsors again, other than wetsuits or boards.

I don't think he cares. Seems more focused on his hopes to requalify and other surf related stuff.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I just listened to the L8 night with Choccy interview with Kolohe.

He's smart, just not in the traditional way.

The brand is a direct to consumer thing.

He said a number of things in the podcast that will likely prevent him from ever having certain types of sponsors again, other than wetsuits or boards.

I don't think he cares. Seems more focused on his hopes to requalify and other surf related stuff.
Yeah, I don't think he's dim. He's just a byproduct of the aughts' "pro" sarfers' homeschooling and/or sh^t teachers pushing him though school thinking he'll have money managers that will get him setup for life. He was one of the first (that I remember) to have a non-endemic sponsor. I hope he succeeds in whatever he hopes to achieve.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I thought the 1st step to starting a clothing company was picking out a solid Logo? This thing is ugly...

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I do think the "anti-establishment" vibe is pretty cool. Kinda reminds me of how Volcom was when they first started.

The "shut up and go surf" is pretty sick too.

But Kolohe's writing needs work. I get the message, but his word choice and sentence structure makes him sound foolish.

I hope the brand takes off... I dig it..

1713701374045.png

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
I'm having a bit of a hard time with this brand. Might be an age thing :shrug: But the stuff looks generic, volcom, former etc. have done similar designs with anti-establishment vibes, but easier on the eyes. The claim is to be a core brand, with shots being fired not only at ABG brands but brands like Florence ("no sailing"). Surfing clearly is a mainstream sport though, 2% is run by a millionaire and aimed at rich white kids - so what is this so called core anyways? I find it a bit hilarious to lash out against capitalism, my guess would be that they would also like to make a profit af some point. Seems like they are only selling directly to customers, cutting out surf shops doesn't look very "core" either. No returns, no information on where the stuff is being produced, doesn't seem like there's any recycled polyester or eco cotton either. Old and grumpy me will raher buy florence, katin etc. for now. Rant over. I still wish Chloe the best for his enterprise and hope that he finds his niche.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I'm having a bit of a hard time with this brand. Might be an age thing :shrug:
it is

But the stuff looks generic, volcom, former etc. have done similar designs with anti-establishment vibes, but easier on the eyes. The claim is to be a core brand, with shots being fired not only at ABG brands but brands like Florence ("no sailing").
I think the Florence label is kinda deserving of the mockery, especially for the elite flair and taking credit for the hooded rashguard - not their invention.

It's that surfing lacks any irreverant flavor of the past.

Surfing clearly is a mainstream sport though, 2% is run by a millionaire and aimed at rich white kids - so what is this so called core anyways? I find it a bit hilarious to lash out against capitalism, my guess would be that they would also like to make a profit af some point.
I get this.

But I am doubting 2% is a moneymaking venture. Seems more like a little side project/experiment.

Seems like they are only selling directly to customers, cutting out surf shops doesn't look very "core" either.
Kolohe said he hates every surf shop he walks into.:shrug:

That they're mostly dull and lacking any creativity/thought.

He mentioned skateboarding and skateshops as places where you find unique and creative minds.

No returns, no information on where the stuff is being produced, doesn't seem like there's any recycled polyester or eco cotton either.
No one cares.

Old and grumpy me will raher buy florence, katin etc. for now.
You actually buy surfwear?

Reactions: i_ride_spinnaz

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
I think the Florence label is kinda deserving of the mockery, especially for the elite flair and taking credit for the hooded rashguard - not their invention.

Fair point

Kolohe said he hates every surf shop he walks into.:shrug:

That they're mostly dull and lacking any creativity/thought.

He mentioned skateboarding and skateshops as places where you find unique and creative minds.

They feel like surf shops to me, same same but different.

No one cares.

I actually do, and I know quite a few people who do too. But that might also be an age thing lol.

You actually buy surfwear?

Probably 30% of my wardrobe is surfwear with minimal branding. I pay wholesale prices so why not.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
It’s just so cringey seeing a pampered surfer, who never had to work a real job, whining that the industry is dead - one that gave him so much.

Equally stupid was that little pimple, Jett Schilling, calling the people over at Vans “clowns.” A company that has done so much for so many people.

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
It’s just so cringey seeing a pampered surfer, who never had to work a real job, whining that the industry is dead - one that gave him so much.

Equally stupid was that little pimple, Jett Schilling, calling the people over at Vans “clowns.” A company that has done so much for so many people.
It is interesting to compare this dynamic to what you see in skating. A lot of skaters that are sponsored by the big shoe companies, take their money and use it to start smaller personal projects, and make brands to put their homies on. Seems like they've got it figured out and that one can strike a healthy balance riding for a company like Nike but making your own board brand or zine type thing.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
It is interesting to compare this dynamic to what you see in skating. A lot of skaters that are sponsored by the big shoe companies, take their money and use it to start smaller personal projects, and make brands to put their homies on. Seems like they've got it figured out and that one can strike a healthy balance riding for a company like Nike but making your own board brand or zine type thing.
As stupid as pro skaters are, they are geniuses compared to surfers.