*** Official National Parks Thread ***

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
Off season? Lodgepole? We’re looking in August. I told my wife we’d still be spending most of the day hiking.
Mighta been October, no shortage of people. He was staying in the Grant Grove NPS cabin quarters so we were in that vicinity.

Reactions: One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Fukkin impossible. Today I had two sites chosen. I opened four windows each. At 9 seconds before 7am I started clicking. First one then the other. I immediately get a notice that I have one reservation in process and cannot start another. I cancel one and then just start clicking on the one site and it's gone.

:crazy2:

p.s. Out of frustration I closed all the windows after receiving the bad news. My wife was in the kitchen trying a couple other sites on another computer. She also got the "unavailable notices" on her choices. But she didn't close the windows and
then noticed that in one window she had an item in her "cart." She clicked on it and was able to "proceed to checkout." So we might have had sites all along??? Maybe even the successful booker gets that unavailable notice? Anyway, mission accomplished.

Anyone thinking they can reserve a spot at a NP campground, in summer or holidays, 5 seconds after the booking window opens is fooling themselves.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Joshua2415

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Here’s a few pics from Zion-

IMG_9474.jpeg

On the way back down, when we got to the bottom of these switchbacks I decided to run back up, “…to get a workout.”
IMG_9481.jpeg

IMG_9542.jpeg

IMG_9546.jpeg

This last photo deserves an explanation. There was a branch of the Emerald Pools trail that led to a viewpoint that was closed due to slides. These two did not heed the warning. You can see they are standing next to another warning sign. From where they were they could not see the condition of the slope whose edge they stood upon. They were hamming it up taking selfies. I decided to take take a pic and maybe send it to “tourons.” I had to zoom in. When we finished the hike I zoomed in further. WTF? Zoom in and look at their faces. WTF were they doing?
IMG_9531.jpeg

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal

LBBoozer

OTF status
Mar 1, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Couple of pics from Valley of Fire. Anyone going to Zion NP via Las Vegas, I’d recommend a short (or long) detour. It was crowded while we were there but it was on Sunday and 2 hours from Vegas. I’ll bet mid week it’s really quiet.

View attachment 177647

View attachment 177648

View attachment 177649

View attachment 177650

Valley of fire is definitely worth 2-3 days. We were there for three nights after Christmas a few months ago. Campsites amongst the red rocks and dogs are permitted all access within the park, which is uncommon.

Campsites in the NP’s are tough, but I have always been able to snag a cancellation. Just start looking 2-3 weeks out.

Attachments

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Death Valley NP:
View attachment 177423
I need to edit out the hot pixels and satellites.

Another story from the NPs.

I think Monday or Tuesday was the New Moon and we were going to star gaze, but we were tired and the temps were in the 30s. Also we were in Zion and the park road is closed to vehicles. So we missed it. But when we got to Bryce we decided we had to go and see. So after dinner we drove out to Bryce Point. Looking into the pitch black forest at night was kind of spooky. I told my wife and daughter about the time I lived in Flagstaff, in a cabin out in the woods. There were a couple other guys living there (the house belonged to James Turrell, the artist... google him). One night I was by myself and started browsing one of Jim's books on UFOs. Jim is an avid pilot and a firm believer in UFO phenomenon. As I browsed the book I came upon an incident where a UFO was sighted and they later found burn marks in a forest clearing. They determined the burns were caused by something in excess of 1000 degrees. I remember getting the willies reading about this, by myself, in the cabin, in the dark woods. I told this story to my wife and daughter as we arrived at Bryce Point.

As soon as we stepped out of the car we see a line of lights in the sky. "WTF is that??? Do you see that???" "Yeah. I see that. What is that???" "A UFO! We're seeing a UFO!" I think we all went to get our phones out and the line of lights disappeared. "WTF! Where did it go?" "OMG. It's gone."

There were a couple of cars but only one other guy in the parking lot. I walked over to where he was. "Did you see that?" "You mean the row of lights? Yeah. I have no fukkin idea what that was."

We were tripping hard. We watched the stars for a while. After while a fmilay appeared. They must have walked a bit down the trail. I asked them, "Did you see the row of lights?" The guy answered matter of factly, "Yeah. That was a Starlink launch." He went on to explain the phenomenon. We were totally deflated. I want to believe.

not my photo
Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 11.37.18 AM.png

Last edited:

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Another story from the NPs.

I think Monday or Tuesday was the New Moon and we were going to star gaze, but we were tired and the temps were in the 30s. Also we were in Zion and the park road is closed to vehicles. So we missed it. But when we got to Bryce we decided we had to go and see. So after dinner we drove out to Bryce Point. Looking into the pitch black forest at night was kind of spooky. I told my wife and daughter about the time I lived in Flagstaff, in a cabin out in the woods. There were a couple other guys living there (the house belonged to James Turrell, the artist... google him). One night I was by myself and started browsing one of Jim's books on UFOs. Jim is an avid pilot and a firm believer in UFO phenomenon. As I browsed the book I came upon an incident where a UFO was sighted and they later found burn marks in a forest clearing. They determined the burns were caused by something in excess of 1000 degrees. I remember getting the willies reading about this, by myself, in the cabin, in the dark woods. I told this story to my wife and daughter as we arrived at Bryce Point.

As soon as we stepped out of the car we see a line of lights in the sky. "WTF is that??? Do you see that???" "Yeah. I see that. What is that???" "A UFO! We're seeing a UFO!" I think we all went to get our phones out and the line of lights disappeared. "WTF! Where did it go?" "OMG. It's gone."

There were a couple of cars but only one other guy in the parking lot. I walked over to where he was. "Did you see that?" "You mean the row of lights? Yeah. I have no fukkin idea what that was."

We were tripping hard. We watched the stars for a while. After while a fmilay appeared. They must have walked a bit down the trail. I asked them, "Did you see the row of lights?" The guy answered matter of factly, "Yeah. That was a Starlink launch." He went on to explain the phenomenon. We were totally deflated. I want to believe.

not my photo
View attachment 177984
Crazy how starlink was given permission to launch thousands of satellites and ruin any space data collection from Earth.

It's nearly impossible to get a pic of the night sky w/o satellites in it.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Crazy how starlink was given permission to launch thousands of satellites and ruin any space data collection from Earth.

It's nearly impossible to get a pic of the night sky w/o satellites in it.
before starlink, i think the amount of space junk was already crazy.

we've junked up the earth with massive amounts of garbage. why not outer space too? let's goooo

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
before starlink, i think the amount of space junk was already crazy.

we've junked up the earth with massive amounts of garbage. why not outer space too? let's goooo
I think I remember reading over 18k junk pieces orbiting Earth (just looked it up, now >25k).

Doesn't Starlink have a lower orbit nearer to Earth, which makes it more visible?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Few pics from Bryce-

We usually seek out "strenuous" hikes to get away from the crowds. The first one on our list was the "Hat Shop." This was the beginning of the trail. We were not equipped- just regular shoes, no poles. We'd gave it a try but as we went a little further we were sinking to our shins and the number of tracks diminished. How do we even know these people knew where the trail was??? We had to give it a pass and turn around.

IMG_9588.JPG

The alternative was nice for the first half, Peekaboo Loop. Still a lot of snow and mud but at least the trail was visible. The second half was on the Queen's Garden Loop which was really crowded.
IMG_9601.JPG

IMG_9599.JPG

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Our second full day was on the 8 mile Fairyland Loop. I highly recommend this one. We saw maybe 20 -25 people the whole loop. What I love about Bryce is you are not hiking to somewhere, you are immediately "there." Every corner you turn is a stunning view and the ladnscape is constantly changing. Magical Place. And we had absolutely perfect weather.
IMG_9662.JPGIMG_9647.JPG
IMG_9651.JPGIMG_9646.JPG

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Our second full day was on the 8 mile Fairyland Loop. I highly recommend this one. We saw maybe 20 -25 people the whole loop. What I love about Bryce is you are not hiking to somewhere, you are immediately "there." Every corner you turn is a stunning view and the ladnscape is constantly changing. Magical Place. And we had absolutely perfect weather.
View attachment 178197View attachment 178198
View attachment 178199View attachment 178200
I need this kind of backpacking action this year. Awesome stuff.