The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

Oct 14, 2023
aside from differences in cut/sizing is the Feral == Colby+ in all other aspects?
I'd say that yes, they are comparable. They approach seam sealing differently with internal tape on the Feral and a combo of liquid seal on the bottom part of the Colby+ and internal tape on the upper. I have NOT been gentle with the seams on my Colby and after a lot of use the suit still hasn't started leaking. In fact the Colby rarely flushes for me and usually it's due to an event where any suit would be expected to flush.

Reactions: sdsrfr
Jan 3, 2024
Anyone found a suit that is comparable to hyperfreak in warmth/stretch but more durable? Tired of going through one per season given the cost...I wear an XL in hyperfreak (not to brag) and it fits like a glove so I keep buying - but fuck me if the seams don't last a whole season

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Anyone found a suit that is comparable to hyperfreak in warmth/stretch but more durable? Tired of going through one per season given the cost...I wear an XL in hyperfreak (not to brag) and it fits like a glove so I keep buying - but fuck me if the seams don't last a whole season
It used to be a psycho1 but your guess is as good as mine what that became. Maybe the the hyperfreak fire but that’s a much stiffer suit.

Reactions: shoaltoad
Oct 14, 2023
I have the HyperFreak Fire 4/3 and it's really not in the same category as the regular HyperFreak. It's sufficiently stretchy, but compared to the regular model it feels heavy and stiff. It took about a dozen sessions to break in before it felt consistently comfortable, but it still doesn't have that insane stretch of the regular HyperFreak.

It is insanely warm, though and is one I reach for when the water is really cold, but I don't need a hood. It appears to be super-durable and is likely the stoutest construction of the suits I have. I was wishing they offered a 4/3 hooded and that search is what led I me to the Colby +.

Reactions: Havoc and sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I have the fire as well and it was the suit that pushed me to otr yammy instead. really warm but way too stiff. shoulders feel tighter than they should.

I was a die hard pyscho1 user prior.

Reactions: Havoc

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I got a Crooked 4/3. 2 sessions in it so far. I was hot in Oxtura for 2 hour sessions. No lining inside, but don't seem to need one. No key loop.

It's a good suit. I like that the zipper doesn't need to be put together, it zips down. My life was not changed by yamamoto rubber.

The ankles and wrists are tight when putting it on and taking it off. On the wrists specifically, it seems to be because of the seam they put there which limits the stretch. That seems to be a benefit, because I never have to adjust the wrist like I see tons of pro's doing in video clips.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I wish more brands tightened up the cuffs. I’d rather have difficulty clearing the hands and feet than the flush/foldup. I have pretty skinny wrists and ankles though

Reactions: Aruka

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Need a new 4/3.

Thinking about a Colby +, the Vissla with the U-zip, or maybe a Feral or Crooked or Isurus. I've had good luck with Vissla's though the newer ones seem to be thinner than the older ones at the same stated thickness. My old 4/3 without a hood feels way thicker than the newer 4/3 hooded I pickup up a year ago. Haven't tried a Japanese rubber suit yet. Was entertaining getting a custom Axxe but the rep dropped the ball when I was out in CA over the winter and I never ended up getting measured.

Surf in northeast where wind is a big issue. I'm a medium in everything. Xcel and Oneill mediums fit me great.

Suggestions?

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Need a new 4/3.

Thinking about a Colby +, the Vissla with the U-zip, or maybe a Feral or Crooked or Isurus. I've had good luck with Vissla's though the newer ones seem to be thinner than the older ones at the same stated thickness. My old 4/3 without a hood feels way thicker than the newer 4/3 hooded I pickup up a year ago. Haven't tried a Japanese rubber suit yet. Was entertaining getting a custom Axxe but the rep dropped the ball when I was out in CA over the winter and I never ended up getting measured.

Surf in northeast where wind is a big issue. I'm a medium in everything. Xcel and Oneill mediums fit me great.

Suggestions?
Personally, I think a smoothskin helps a ton in cold and windy locations like the northeast. But different strokes for different folks. I know that some of the NYNJ guys rock Ferals (no smoothie) and love them there. And I think @mundus may have a Crooked suit. If you wanted to ball out, an Isurus might be a good call. Yamamoto rubber and has a smooth skin. Best of both worlds IMO.

FWIW I run kinda cold generally

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Need a new 4/3.

Thinking about a Colby +, the Vissla with the U-zip, or maybe a Feral or Crooked or Isurus.

Suggestions?
Srface wetsuits will let you surf in a suit for 30 days to see if you like it. Yamamoto #40.

Crooked will send you a free shipping label to send them an old ripped wetsuit and they will recycle it. They will then give you a $50 coupon code off 1 suit. I'm going to send them all the old suits in my garage.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
what brand are you rocking again?
Cyber.

I get a stock size and modify it the way I want.....pulled in wrist and ankle cuffs, smoothskin and fuzzy liner where I want (chest and back), stress tape in the areas I tend to put the most stress on, ect..... They're very close in price to Isurus, except they're customizable with better seams and better materials.

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Yeah I'm a big believer in smoothskin which is why some of the cheaper Yamamoto suits scare me.

I was a diehard Xcel Drylock person till they started to suck a few years ago so I moved to a Psychotech for my 5/4 hooded and a Vissla for my 4/3 hooded which is smoothie just on the back and feels more like warm 3/2.

But I spend a lot time in a 4/3 so I could throw down for a Isurus although it looks like only the hooded versions have smoothskin.

Personally, I think a smoothskin helps a ton in cold and windy locations like the northeast. But different strokes for different folks. I know that some of the NYNJ guys rock Ferals (no smoothie) and love them there. And I think @mundus may have a Crooked suit. If you wanted to ball out, an Isurus might be a good call. Yamamoto rubber and has a smooth skin. Best of both worlds IMO.

FWIW I run kinda cold generally

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Cyber.

I get a stock size and modify it the way I want.....pulled in wrist and ankle cuffs, smoothskin and fuzzy liner where I want (chest and back), stress tape in the areas I tend to put the most stress on, ect..... They're very close in price to Isurus, except they're customizable with better seams and better materials.
So basically you got a custom suit without needing to measure yourself?

Reactions: jkb

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Cyber.

What closure do you get? Any experience with their zipperless ( looks to be velcro) ?
I would consider that before I go full Axxe u-zip. I recently tried the vissla u-zip… it’s phenomenal. Feels like you’re wearing just a rashguard when paddling. Almost no shoulder stress, which is my biggest deciding factor- even less than my favorite zipperless Isurus (which still has the cinch cord on the left side).