Album Surfboards

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
just YOLO'd a varial bom dia and am wondering what everyone is liking for fins in this boar -- i weigh ~155

tried to search but doesn't like the short search terms. thanks!
I'm a bit heavier (185) so it's hard to compare but I think the consensus is that a little more fin than usual is preferred.

The fin cluster is pretty tight compared to a normal 5 fin convertible quad so for me the board felt a little lacking in drive when I ran more upright or smaller fin sets which is what I usually prefer in more normal quad setups.

I've been running Sharpeye L fronts, NVS JL Medium 80/20 rears. Feels like a good balance of drive and pivot.

The NVS Album quad set felt a little small for me but it might be about right for someone your weight. There's also the Bomdia quad set but it's fairly large. Have not tried it.

I think medium 80/20 rears and a balanced medium front fin would be a good place to start.

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
I'm a bit heavier (185) so it's hard to compare but I think the consensus is that a little more fin than usual is preferred.

The fin cluster is pretty tight compared to a normal 5 fin convertible quad so for me the board felt a little lacking in drive when I ran more upright or smaller fin sets which is what I usually prefer in more normal quad setups.

I've been running Sharpeye L fronts, NVS JL Medium 80/20 rears. Feels like a good balance of drive and pivot.

The NVS Album quad set felt a little small for me but it might be about right for someone your weight. There's also the Bomdia quad set but it's fairly large. Have not tried it.

I think medium 80/20 rears and a balanced medium front fin would be a good place to start.
NVS quad set felt small for me as well. Bom Dia set is perfect.

Just picked up an absolutely cherry 6'3" roundtail. Thinking the NVS quad will be perfect with the pulled in tail.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Anyone interested in a YOLO Varial Insanity: 5'9" stock board with about 31 liters of volume? It's nice. it's just not me.

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
I’m pretty curious about that as a semi-stepup for socal OH waves. Keep us posted. Where are you located?
That's the plan! I'm in north county by @bluengreen. Got it for bigger days at suck outs, ponto, etc. It really came out better than I could have hoped. Matt and the dudes at Waterman's crushed it with this one. Sexiest board I've seen in a minute. Can't wait to get it wet. 6'3 x 19 x 2.44.
Image (6).jpeg
Image (5).jpeg

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
That's the plan! I'm in north county by @bluengreen. Got it for bigger days at suck outs, ponto, etc. It really came out better than I could have hoped. Matt and the dudes at Waterman's crushed it with this one. Sexiest board I've seen in a minute. Can't wait to get it wet. 6'3 x 19 x 2.44.
View attachment 178361
View attachment 178362
dang that thing looks great. perfect looking semi step up for NCSD.

ps. Great no-arch pad too

Last edited:
Reactions: j_mac and encladd
Dec 1, 2022
Prob a simple answer to this (but I'm cooked after a long week) whats the difference between a Twinbender and an AP twinsman? I'm looking to try one of the other but haven't been able to get any helpful info on their website or on the fone (the dude I got on the blower was riddled with ennui)

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
Prob a simple answer to this (but I'm cooked after a long week) whats the difference between a Twinbender and an AP twinsman? I'm looking to try one of the other but haven't been able to get any helpful info on their website or on the fone (the dude I got on the blower was riddled with ennui)
Here you go:
Twinbender:
The Twinsman in a lightbender outline. A modern fish with some enhanced performance. All the user friendly speed and easy performance you get from a Twinsman, but in a fishier platform. Similar to the Lightbender, more width carried throughout and a beak nose. Allows you to take the speed that a fish naturally generates and turn it into quick turns that you don’t have to worry about sliding out on. Size it similar to a Lightbender for a modern fish feel, or stretch it out for extra glide.

AP Twinsman:
Asher Pacey's variation of the Twinsman. Wider and shorter with a fuller beak nose. User friendly speed, easy turns, and more waves without sacrificing performance. A board that you can really push on rail or just enjoy the easy down the line speed. Paddles and gets up to speed faster than a standard performance board, but doesn’t have the limitations of a traditional twin. Similar performance to the Twinsman Swallow, but in a more compact rail line. Ride it a few inches shorter than the Twinsman Swallow, but at the same volume.

Makoman

OTF status
Jun 23, 2003
North East
I am finally putting in some reps on some of the new boards.

Rode the Plasmic on Wednesday in the long period S pulse in LA County. Clean conditions, overhead sets rights and lefts but mellow and board is very very fun! (Album NVS uprights)

Yesterday double session on Bom Dia at super secret (not!) North Shore reef. Well overhead, got in early/well and felt very solid on the drop with tons of drive. NVS Bom Dia fins felt perfect and makes me I always hated about full foil rear fins? Second session was a bit of a blood bath shifty and bigger, realistically I likely should have been on the ghost I had in the bag. Got a few but also was obliterated on a couple of backside waves, the kind of smacks that makes you think no board should survive.

Today Disorder in S shore Ala Moana area fun mostly rights. Clean and offshore head high plus and ran NVS upright/Bom Dia combo. Felt very good. How can a board that looks so weird/wrong go so well?

Overall solid hit rate on Albums, and just in time to never be able to remake in Varial :(

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I am finally putting in some reps on some of the new boards.

Rode the Plasmic on Wednesday in the long period S pulse in LA County. Clean conditions, overhead sets rights and lefts but mellow and board is very very fun! (Album NVS uprights)

Yesterday double session on Bom Dia at super secret (not!) North Shore reef. Well overhead, got in early/well and felt very solid on the drop with tons of drive. NVS Bom Dia fins felt perfect and makes me I always hated about full foil rear fins? Second session was a bit of a blood bath shifty and bigger, realistically I likely should have been on the ghost I had in the bag. Got a few but also was obliterated on a couple of backside waves, the kind of smacks that makes you think no board should survive.

Today Disorder in S shore Ala Moana area fun mostly rights. Clean and offshore head high plus and ran NVS upright/Bom Dia combo. Felt very good. How can a board that looks so weird/wrong go so well?

Overall solid hit rate on Albums, and just in time to never be able to remake in Varial :(
Not sure what you’re trying to say in the bolded but, NVS Bom Dia quads have 80/20 rears.