The Official OBSF Support Group

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
it's main propulsion device is gone.
Hard to imagine it getting very far with no tail
In the first picture especially the tail flipper feet whatever are clearly visible.

Most of these bites generally happen rather close to shore, no?

Is there a law that says the seal died right there, vs it hauled out somewhere else, got stormed/high tided, and washed up on the beach? Limited personal experience and this thread tell me there's generally an assload of current at the place.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
In the first picture especially the tail flipper feet whatever are clearly visible.

Most of these bites generally happen rather close to shore, no?

Is there a law that says the seal died right there, vs it hauled out somewhere else, got stormed/high tided, and washed up on the beach? Limited personal experience and this thread tell me there's generally an assload of current at the place.
it still had its tail but his guts were clearly visible so if he did much flapping he would have lost some important stuff.
Don’t know but I would guess. I’ve read GWS attack below and behind and the bite seems to indicate that.
I’ve never seen one look so fresh. His eyes were still clear and the body had zero decomposition. The wound looked fresh. It hadn’t been dead long. As for current, there is current 90% of the time nothing strong in awhile.

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
IMG_5094.jpg
IMG_5095.jpg

Ran across this guy the other day. Fully intact and just deposited on the high tide. Seagulls had already got the eyes, but the research markings and fin tag were intact. I called it in to NOAA figuring it was a research project. The person taking the report was no where as impressed with me as I was with my self for being a good citizen.

Drove off wondering if the poor bastard got heckled by the herd for having gotten captured and buzz cut/branded. First time seeing one up close marked up like that.

• Wow
Reactions: Woke AF and r32

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Shifting away from dead pinnepeads....

Anyone have a mechanic recco for the city, peninsula, or even north of the GG if they are worthwhile?

My prius has been faithful with nary an issue for 107k, but my check engine light came on yesterday. A friend suggested a guy on Taraval but he won't look at it until Monday, which is terribly inconvenient.

• Haha
Reactions: r32

tomminator123

OTF status
Dec 22, 2017

Anyone have a mechanic recco for the city, peninsula, or even north of the GG if they are worthwhile?

My prius has been faithful with nary an issue for 107k, but my check engine light came on yesterday. A friend suggested a guy on Taraval but he won't look at it until Monday, which is terribly inconvenient.
Toy Shop on Geary is good but they’re usually really busy.

Japan Auto Repair in San Rafael is also solid, they’ve done some work on my Prius

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019

go to autozone or the like and either have them pull the codes or better yet buy a $50 obd scanner and do it yourself. good to have in the glovebox. knowledge is power.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
boat strike. propeller.
It could be, but the marks on the circumference were jagged.

I have high confidence this is the work of a juvie great white shark who has taken residence at the Northern section of the dunes. He is currently sampling hairy large, soft, oblong objects with kooky little fins.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
It could be, but the marks on the circumference were jagged.

I have high confidence this is the work of a juvie great white shark who has taken residence at the Northern section of the dunes. He is currently sampling hairy large, soft, oblong objects with kooky little fins.
Tell us you got burned by Charles Webster Bare bodysurfing without telling us you got burned by Charles Webster Bair bodysurfing.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Oh no!
No I haven't, But I swear I just saw someone those fins yesterday.
I drove from Kelly's to Lincoln yesterday around 2:30. They might have been poking out the back of a truck, or leaning against the curb. Hell, maybe they were on top of your car at the time. I can't say for sure.

Jan 3, 2024
Oh no!
No I haven't, But I swear I just saw someone those fins yesterday.
I drove from Kelly's to Lincoln yesterday around 2:30. They might have been poking out the back of a truck, or leaning against the curb. Hell, maybe they were on top of your car at the time. I can't say for sure.
Damn, someone scored...

Already bought a new pair

If I see em I'll ask where he bought em and see if he stammers :roflmao:- then call Dobbalina in for some heavy backup once we start scrapping

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Thought I had read somewhere that the bigger White sharks have two primary attack modes:

1 Kill shot (decapitate)
2 Amputation for planned bleed out
How deep is the water in the OB lineup?

I'll share this bit of info. We were at the Monterrey Bay Aquarium and there was a special presentation by a marine biologist, a shark expert. At a certain point he said GWS are ambush predators and that they need about 60 feet of water to be able to get up enough speed to surprise seals. I raised my had to ask a question. "Does that mean if I'm surfing where it is 20 feet deep I am safe?" His answer, "Well no. Most attacks on humans are just investigatory bites."

That's why I think they should float surfboards with dummies in a wetsuit around line ups, deliberately provoking an attack, so they learn to associate our silhouettes with a mouthful of fiberglass, foam and rubber.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
How deep is the water in the OB lineup?

I'll share this bit of info. We were at the Monterrey Bay Aquarium and there was a special presentation by a marine biologist, a shark expert. At a certain point he said GWS are ambush predators and that they need about 60 feet of water to be able to get up enough speed to surprise seals. I raised my had to ask a question. "Does that mean if I'm surfing where it is 20 feet deep I am safe?" His answer, "Well no. Most attacks on humans are just investigatory bites."

That's why I think they should float surfboards with dummies in a wetsuit around line ups, deliberately provoking an attack, so they learn to associate our silhouettes with a mouthful of fiberglass, foam and rubber.
I've done a bit of freediving here, and you have to go way past the outerbars to get past 20 feet. All you can see is sand and sandy gullies.

Reactions: tacos