The Official OBSF Support Group

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
OBSF is obviously one of the best large wave beach breaks in the world, and in winter it must be incredible. But what the heck do you guys do all summer when it's foggy, cold, miserable, and onshore?

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
OBSF is obviously one of the best large wave beach breaks in the world, and in winter it must be incredible. But what the heck do you guys do all summer when it's foggy, cold, miserable, and onshore?
I haven’t lived here long (in other words, not jaded), but there’s a fun little wedge that kept me entertained all summer. In fact, surfed nearly 14 days in a row despite it never being that good.

Reactions: Maz

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Coming to an outer bar near you?

Reactions: Woke AF

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
Well, since this is a “support group”, might as well come confess my sins/kookiness on a day that was probably kiddie pool sized for the real OB locs.

8 ft @ 12 seconds this afternoon. Paddled out on an 8’0” (found at a used sporting goods store in OC)—overgunned, I know–but I wanted to get a few waves on it in sub/semi-solid conditions. It’s a beast, can’t remember the exact dims but it’s 20.5“ wide and 2.75“ thick, feels like a log. Anyways, got denied at Moraga :trout:, cursed myself and got out and walked just south of Noriega. Made it out fairly easily this attempt. Found a fun left, which ended up being my only wave. Chased peaks after, saw a few that I was glad I wasn’t caught inside of. Started to drift in thinking I’d take an inner bar wave in. Uneventful session until I got absolutely smoked by a 4 wave set on the inner bar. Slabbing, probably 8 footers, pounded and held under longer than the 2 sessions I’ve tried to paddle out on double digit feet @ upper teens seconds days. In that weird zone where I wasn’t getting pushed inside, just getting repeatedly pulled straight back into the impact zone. Hood filled with water on one as I was swimming to (what I was hoping was) the surface. Belly rode the next reasonable whitewater in and called it a day. Worked and humbled on a day that wasn’t really anything.

Caught a solid view of the last sunset of 2023 and drowned my sorrows in some wine over dinner.

I was down in OC for 10 days before Christmas, so I missed everything up here—and then straight into this massive swell the past few days and I stuck around town instead of traveling for surfable waves. Anyone get anything over the past few weeks?

Last edited:

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
How do you like asym boards? Is there a big adjustment period / getting used to it?
First one Ive had. I did notice it popped up quite close to me when I got pitched on the first wave I took off on it. Seriously, I haven't yet caught enough waves on it. Felt really nice and loose, "turny" underfoot. Pretty light board, was glad it didn't snap on that first wave. Feels like it could snap in half pretty easily actually. Oh well. Hope it doesn't, and if it doesn't I can tell im going to have some fun on it.

Reactions: tacos and sussle

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I haven't surfed The Beach in weeks+. Saw plenty of days that looked good and challenging, but between holiday visitors, things I had to do, and lack of euipment/cowardice, I avoided it.

Got a handful of sessions around the corner. The day after Christmas, the North end was going nuts, but looked really, really tough. A friend of mine confirmed that it was nearly impossible to find a good one and avoiding getting smoked.

Friday looked similar. Only a handful of takers.

Last edited:
Reactions: tacos

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Surfed a week ago.
Btch paddle out
Side current took me 1 mile in 45min
The sand is all messed up w/ large holes and ridges- the waves breaking chaotically
Caught 1 wave in before getting stuck in the rip taking me around the corner

Hoping for this week but this morning did not look promising.
Best-Fall-ever has turned into out-of-control-winter.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Surfed a week ago.
Btch paddle out
Side current took me 1 mile in 45min
The sand is all messed up w/ large holes and ridges- the waves breaking chaotically
Caught 1 wave in before getting stuck in the rip taking me around the corner

Hoping for this week but this morning did not look promising.
Best-Fall-ever has turned into out-of-control-winter.

It seemed like the only useable energy is concentrated in one section of the beach, and its A LOT of energy converging there.

Reactions: tacos

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
I'm heading up for a conference Thursday through Monday. Really more of a solo vacation since the conference is only Saturday. Forecast looks good-ish.

Shoot me a DM if you want to surf!

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I'm heading up for a conference Thursday through Monday. Really more of a solo vacation since the conference is only Saturday. Forecast looks good-ish.

Shoot me a DM if you want to surf!
Nice timing. Could get some fun windows.
I'm around, but will have some constraints on time.