*** Official Fin Thread ***

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
Just got a good deal on the newish christenson 5-fin futures. Anyone tried these yet?

Reactions: JDJ and Aruka

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
It is ... the MR twin + traiiler setup ... only available in FCS. I have the MR Fin + trailer fins ... have used them in my Bulkley fish ... they have worked ok but nothing to get excited about. My MR/Lost Cali Twin has a futures setup ... have tired to emulate the MR Twin + trailer setup ... have gotten pretty close and it has worked ok but nothing special. In that i mean ... they felt stable, neutral. And it might be the twin + trailer setup in general ... have always preferred a straight twin setup. When i rode the board the other day with the AMK's it felt like the board came alive ... it was only one session .... hopefully tomorrow with a solid HH swell expected .... i'll get a better feel for the AMKs.
This is the MR twin trailer set up in futures

Reactions: sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
This is the MR twin trailer set up in futures

Anyone with a normal foil make some?

closest i could find were the Elmore set which are more like a big MR and the T1 which is a small MR, or so I’ve been told.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
A solid HH swell is expected tonight ... peaking tomorrow ..... will let you know how it goes with this setup.
@claw87 ... update ... swell came in 3' @ 15sec but at a very steep angle so .... didn't get the energy or size as expected ... still some fun chest-shoulder high lined up waves .... a lot of chop ... 20mph side shore winds ..... fins still felt really good in my Cali Twin for the 2nd session .... couple things i noticed that might be of interest .... the size of the fins really helped stabilize the board in the choppy conditions especially paddling for waves .... the other is there is almost no cant (probably 4deg) but looking at them appear to be pretty straight ..... possibly could be a slight difference on the FCS side of things ...

Food for thought ... was reading that the AMK's were designed for the CI Fishbeard ..... have also read where even though the stock Fishbeard it is a straight twin design the fin boxes are set farther forward (similar to the Cali Twin) than what you would normally expect. There's a You Tube clip with Zeke Lau and Parker Coffin floating around ... on the Fishbeard running the AMKs ..... looks like it goes pretty well with that setup.

Reactions: claw87

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Ok, posted a couple of better shots above.

Yeh, I was bummed to see how far back it really moved them and a bit more rake. My Sakal's that have boxes placed for the og keels would all have the fin trailing edge lower than the buttcrack if I stuck those new ones in them. I guess maybe cc is just compensating on the boxes in the newer versions now :shrug: . Kind of lame if you need to replace the fins on an older one though.

Reactions: sdsrfr

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
yeah, crazy. I have the new Futures CCs and I sold my old Captain Fin Co ones when I got rid of my Moonstone. The Futures ones look strikingly similar to the Al Merrick Keels now that I'm seeing them lined up with the Captain Fin CCs

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Anyone ridden the FCS2 Sharpeye fins?

I'm a fan of the Futures version. They appear to be very similar in size and shape but the FCS2 version says the foil is flat/bevel like the MF and Filipe fins...

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Theoretical question for the quad fans out there .... let's say you're trying to dial in a board .... mixing front and rear fins .... you've got it to a point where everything feels good except it is lacking drive to your liking. You want to add more but don't want to make it overly tracky or make it to stiff. What's you're typical first move .... larger or more raked fronts, change the rears only, add a nubster, start over?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Theoretical question for the quad fans out there .... let's say you're trying to dial in a board .... mixing front and rear fins .... you've got it to a point where everything feels good except it is lacking drive to your liking. You want to add more but don't want to make it overly tracky or make it to stiff. What's you're typical first move .... larger or more raked fronts, change the rears only, add a nubster, start over?
I'd go larger/rakeder fronts. For me, the front fins push back when you pump, project, get it down the line, and the rears simmer down the skitter/slide. Note I am mostly riding wider-than-normal boards in dogshit surf.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I would agree above. I could be way off, but I tend to think of the rears as affecting the last 1/3 part of a turn and how it releases out of the turn. For my usual average waves, I tend to like smaller rears like 3.75 or maybe 4.0, which I feel keeps it loose and a bit skatey. Could be all in my head.
YMMV

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Are your rears flat foiled? 50/50? 80/20?

Wide tail? Narrow tail? Medium tail.

Rear fins out toward the rail or closer to the center?

Do you drive off your front foot?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
The first thing I would do is change the rears to flat foiled (if they aren't already).

After that, rakier front fin.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Are your rears flat foiled? 50/50? 80/20?

Wide tail? Narrow tail? Medium tail.

Rear fins out toward the rail or closer to the center?

Do you drive off your front foot?
I believe the rears i have are 80/20 ..... pulled in tail ... standard 5 fin box placements. The set i've been playing around with is a Roberts med set .... fronts have the V2 foil. I think they are a neutral fin but have a very narrow tip ... the rears are more on the rakier side. I've tried throwing a set of (i hate to say it) large AM2s in front with same rears .... was a disaster .... felt sluggish, no glide, no control. I tried the Machado med thruster fronts (slightly bigger than the Robert's ... bigger tip) felt better than the Roberts but like the Roberts ... not enough drive .... coincidentally the Machado's also have the V2 foil. Maybe it's the V2 foil that is making feel like there is not enough drive ... too much lift in turns possibly? BTW - i drive off my rear foot. Yesterday, i picked up a set of Future Shaper5 quad rears ... appear to be flat foiled from what i can tell ... a little taller than the Roberts but still more of a raked template. I also plan to pick up a Rasta quad set .... but was curious on how other's go about dialing in their quad fin setup.

Last edited: