Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapse

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Goddamn that's a lot of shipping containers.

"Dali" cargo ship

Same ship had accident in Belgium when it hit the port.

11 July 2016, Dali collided with the berth at the container terminal in the Port of Antwerp, Belgium, causing significant damage to the vessel's stern and transom. The berth was also damaged and closed for cargo handling operations.

1711477599570.png

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Maybe the Ukrainian captain was supposed to ram into the Kerch Bridge but got confused and hit the Key Bridge instead. Anyways, a Ukrainian captain with a low-paid Indian crew has all the makings of a hilarious nautical sitcom.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Perhaps a loss of power triggers an automatic anchor drop which in turn caused the ship to suddenly veer into bridge support...a ship that size isn't going to stop on a dime.

Source

" The 948-foot (288.95 m) vessel, as long as three football fields placed end to end, had experienced a momentary loss of propulsion and dropped anchors as part of emergency procedures before impact, its management company, Synergy Marine Pte Ltd reported, according to the Singapore Port Authority. "

PS
This is just me guessing like everyone else without all the facts.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I am not that familiar with maritime law, but what is the responsibility of the harbor pilot when the ship loses steering and/or power?

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
That place just got worse. Been over it too many times.Been around it too many times. We used to love the city, when young and bored.
Huge port, The BMore Beltway, 95...

Just yesterday I saw a flier for friends band playing a reunion show in Baltimore this weekend and it made me think.of all the crazy shows kids from here would drive 2.5 hours each way for. If the Baltimore skins or streetpeople (or their drugs) don't get you, or the Baltimore City Police, the.Key Bridge will.

At least BWI is like 2-3 turns to the shuttle lot from Delmarva. Fuck all that city stuff.

Ukrainian Captain. erBB fact.checking/research right there.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I am not that familiar with maritime law, but what is the responsibility of the harbor pilot when the ship loses steering and/or power?
I believe there were two local pilots aboard that ship leaving port. I'm just surprised that there weren't tugs with it. I cross the Philadelphia bridges regularly and the big ships around Philadelphia usually have tugs along side when they go under the bridges.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
This country has been in desperate need of a massive investment in infrastructure for a long time. not sure that helps here but im guessing modern or upgraded stuff holds up better.

also it would lessen the impact of a road going out if the other roads weren't already full of traffic

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Seems like the owners of the Dali skimped on both maintenance and labor. You get what you pay for.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers