Album Surfboards

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
@casa_mugrienta The shapes are rad. Build quality? Eh...

erBB focus group has been very positive, and Pacey, Kerr, Bernardo are doing incredible surfing on them.

I agree that making Album a "lifestyle brand" for wealthy post-modern minimalists is not cool, but I can separate the surfboards from that part of the business.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
You don’t get foot wells or dents on your boards? I’m all in on mocking sh!t glass jobs, sand-throughs etc but these are kinda a given unless a super heavy glass job like a long board or a gun for most people no?
Only have 2 PU boards in my quiver. Pyzel Wildcat and a CI twin pin (with tint) that are both have only minimal heel denting. Suprisingly the CI is looking the better of the two. All the rest are eps/epoxy of varying constructions from all balsa-paulownia-flax-thunderbolt-lib tech-helium-woolight-volcanic and their decks range from zero dents to barely noticeable and I've barely ridden a PU board since the Covid/post Covid price hikes.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Which boar were you referring to? Just PU/polys in general?
If anything, the stock albums I've gotten (used) are glassed heavier (6+4 deck seems to be their standard) than normal and have less dents than most of my other PUs. Obviously customs can be glassed lighter (4+4) and will heel dent more. The used Townsend I got was ridden hard and priced accordingly. The 2-3 used PU/poly CCs I've had look like Swiss cheese. In my experience, I'd say it's a stretch to imply that Albums dent easier than other PU/polys. but YMMV
I have zero interest in album's non-surf offerings, but presumably someone does.

Last edited:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
If anything, the stock albums I've gotten (used) are glassed heavier (6+4 deck seems to be their standard) than normal and have less dents than most of my other PUs. Obviously customs can be glassed lighter (4+4) and will heel dent more. The used Townsend I got was ridden hard and priced accordingly. The 2-3 used PU/poly CCs I've had look like Swiss cheese. In my experience, I'd say it's a stretch to imply that Albums dent easier than other PU/polys. but YMMV
I have zero interest in album's non-surf offerings, but presumably someone does.
Just the PU/polys. I've been looking for a used Album to buy for a friend. I didn't say they dent more rather about the pricing. I'm a cheapskate/bargain hunter.
IMG_2050.JPGIMG_2053.JPG
Happily I've found him locally a very lightly used PU clear Twinsman in excellent condition for $850 AUD = $550 USD (owned by a woman hence the tailpad). With the CC's it seems you get one person that says they hold up great and the next say they are terrible.
The used ones...locally on the Album site: https://albumsurf.com.au/collections/used-boards

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I’ve had a couple pu albums, surfed them, sold them, seen them on craigslist for sale - some multiple times by different sellers and none of them had any dents to speak of.

I currently have a PU Townsend that I’m pretty sure is bullet proof.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
pu album held up fine. no sand throughs showing and bulletproof glass job, no shatters.

The critique of whether or not a surf brand is core cracks me up.

theyre brands and they’re out to make money. core brands are just marketing, they already sold out.

Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
pu album held up fine. no sand throughs showing and bulletproof glass job, no shatters.

The critique of whether or not a surf brand is core cracks me up.

theyre brands and they’re out to make money. core brands are just marketing, they already sold out.
volcom was the best example. I used to hang out with some Newport crew when it was starting up and we had some of the first shirts. They did such savvy grassroots marketing from the beginning: “Youth Against Establishment!”…
right up until they sold to a French fashion conglomerate LOL

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Just the PU/polys. I've been looking for a used Album to buy for a friend. I didn't say they dent more rather about the pricing. I'm a cheapskate/bargain hunter.
View attachment 174477View attachment 174478
Happily I've found him locally a very lightly used PU clear Twinsman in excellent condition for $850 AUD = $550 USD (owned by a woman hence the tailpad). With the CC's it seems you get one person that says they hold up great and the next say they are terrible.
The used ones...locally on the Album site: https://albumsurf.com.au/collections/used-boards
The CCs I have had are more performance boars, glassed standard 4+4/4, I assume. I’m sure their heavy glassed fishes, mids, logs are more solid.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
volcom was the best example. I used to hang out with some Newport crew when it was starting up and we had some of the first shirts. They did such savvy grassroots marketing from the beginning: “Youth Against Establishment!”…
right up until they sold to a French fashion conglomerate LOL
Brixton as well. I know someone who was there very very early. They tried so hard to maintain their core presence and branding and then cashed out.

Altamont Capital is so core with billabong and dakine also in the portfolio
1709686721479.png

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Anyone know what boards Benardo was riding in the last Album film?
First orange board looks like a Bomdia round tail step up. Want.

Not sure what the black and white asym nose one is. He was ripping but the asym nose is distracting to me.

The big orange one in the last section at Honolua Bay (maybe?) looks like a Moonstone pin.

Reactions: encladd

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
The last one was a Moonstone channel bottom twin.

Does anybody know what the first spot he rode was? *If an already blown spot, that is...

May 18, 2016
ryan‘s quip seems more to me like the disruptor becoming the disrupted.
meh not really, my business is cruising nice and i'm happiest i've probably ever been, Album doesn't touch my business and believe me when I was a 'disruptor' if I ever was one - life fucking sucked for all the bullshit I got to deal with, I cared too much and took it all way too personally. Album isn't unique in my criticism we're just in an Album thread here and theres some funny stuff.

I can say plenty nice things too; they're running a tight ship for sure, best marketing there is currently without a doubt - its glossy and sexy and looks expensive. It's a wonderful enterprise from a business side far as I can tell, their margin is incredible compared to the industry standard, lots of brands use mexico to manufacture cheaper its a really good move for the bottom line and the builders & craftsman are good down there to boot. Albums on a good one and the only downside is that makes them a beacon for criticism.

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
meh not really, my business is cruising nice and i'm happiest i've probably ever been, Album doesn't touch my business and believe me when I was a 'disruptor' if I ever was one - life fucking sucked for all the bullshit I got to deal with, I cared too much and took it all way too personally. Album isn't unique in my criticism we're just in an Album thread here and theres some funny stuff.

I can say plenty nice things too; they're running a tight ship for sure, best marketing there is currently without a doubt - its glossy and sexy and looks expensive. It's a wonderful enterprise from a business side far as I can tell, their margin is incredible compared to the industry standard, lots of brands use mexico to manufacture cheaper its a really good move for the bottom line and the builders & craftsman are good down there to boot. Albums on a good one and the only downside is that makes them a beacon for criticism.
Appreciate the honesty of your reply. I was only poking.

curious to learn more about your lessons learned over the years. We speculate quite a bit but you’ve actually lived through it.

Reactions: urchined and j_mac