The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
@casa_mugrienta Does your Cyber have a key string, key pocket or other key retention device?

Anyone else's feedback also welcomed.

Also do the O'Neill's still have some type of key storage device thingy, specifically the TechnoBlubber 3 shortsleeve fullsuit?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
@casa_mugrienta Does your Cyber have a key string, key pocket or other key retention device?

Also do the O'Neill's still have some type of key storage device thingy, specifically the TechnoBlubber 3 shortsleeve fullsuit?
all the oneill's I've ever owned have a keypocket on the leg which I never use. this includes my 2mm short sleeve fullsuit but it's like 8 years old at this point so who freaking knows about the newer versions.

• Love
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com
all the oneill's I've ever owned have a keypocket on the leg which I never use. this includes my 2mm short sleeve fullsuit but it's like 8 years old at this point so who freaking knows about the newer versions.
I hated the first time that my suit switched from having a key pocket on the leg instead of the arm. But I don't think about it anymore, which is probably better than obsessively checking that my key is still on my arm because it's right there.

Feb 25, 2024
Has anyone else experienced chafing/rubbing with Matuse Tumo wetsuits? I tried a medium and noticed chafing and limbs too long, so I dropped down to MS. Still get some noticeable discomfort just wearing the wetsuit in the house for 5-10 minutes. There's lots of rubbing right in front of the armpit on the lateral aspect of my pecs. Super uncomfortable...wondering if this will break in or just get worse and break my skin.

The chest zip is also pretty aggressive with how far over to the right shoulder it extends. It seems like it'd slightly interfere with every stroke...

Anyone with experience? Would one of their other suits be better? The Dante seems to have a potentially better zipper arrangement. Or I could just go back zip and avoid chest zip issues altogether...

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Weird. Matuse is one of the suits where I’ve literally had no chaffing at all and I have dry sensistive skin. Also they seem to run a bit short on me. Funny how peoples experiences can differ.

I will agree on the zipper. The whole thing seems a bit over done and bulky.

Jan 2, 2024
Maui
Has anyone else experienced chafing/rubbing with Matuse Tumo wetsuits? I tried a medium and noticed chafing and limbs too long, so I dropped down to MS. Still get some noticeable discomfort just wearing the wetsuit in the house for 5-10 minutes. There's lots of rubbing right in front of the armpit on the lateral aspect of my pecs. Super uncomfortable...wondering if this will break in or just get worse and break my skin.

The chest zip is also pretty aggressive with how far over to the right shoulder it extends. It seems like it'd slightly interfere with every stroke...

Anyone with experience? Would one of their other suits be better? The Dante seems to have a potentially better zipper arrangement. Or I could just go back zip and avoid chest zip issues altogether...
That's the problem I had with my Dante. Tried M and it was way to tight in the chest. Large ended up slightly big but felt better than my friends LS. Never tried a medium tall. I finally got rid of my matuse after it constantly rubbed a hole right in front of my right armpit every time I surfed. I then tried the new Apollo and the chest zip had a weird pull to the side so I returned it. Ended up with an Isurus and that has felt way better

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

I think the Dante is meant to be super easy in/out with the horizontal zip that detaches completely . I had a 2mil s/s full which was fine. Can’t speak for how that closure does on a thicker fullsuit in colder water.
also had a Scipio which was nice.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo

I love the leg key pocket on Isurus' suits. My condo building's common area locks use CorKeys (look like large dog tags) and they fit perfectly in the Isurus key pocket. I've lost at least three when I would have to stuff them under my wetsuit leg. An errant wave would blow up my leg once I took my leash off and I'd never see the key again.

Reactions: sdsrfr and encladd

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Drylocks are probably done until next winter - warm, but a little heavy. Winter 5 for one and Winter 3 for another.

Now back into the Infiniti 3/2 and 3/2 Comp X and they feel glorious. Infiniti was swooped Dec 2019 and it's a hair chilly in 57 and under - need to glue a hole or two probs. 3/2 Comp X swooped in Sept 2018 and still feels amazing.

I can't understand why some suits, particularly these two, feel soooo gummy and flexy and have held up so well (not just ripping/leaks/thinning but not becoming old bricks) vs other very similar suits.

I have the 3/2 Infiniti with the fuzzy torso with smoothskin, the 3/2 Comp X, and the same time I ordered the 3/2 Comp X TDC, I also ordered a 2mm Infiniti Comp TDC. For whatever reason, the 3/2 Comp X is flexier than the all 2mm Comp fullsuit. I can't make heads or tails of why. Ordered same time, same place, same Evo sale, the 2mm does feel a hair lighter....

And the Drylocks are nice and warm but I can't figure out why the Drylocks feel so noticeably heavier and more stiff than the infiniti. I find it hard to believe the fuzzy liner going down to the knees and the wrist gasket things do all of it.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
And the Drylocks are nice and warm but I can't figure out why the Drylocks feel so noticeably heavier and more stiff than the infiniti. I find it hard to believe the fuzzy liner going down to the knees and the wrist gasket things do all of it.
Different mixtures of neoprene used.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I can't understand why some suits, particularly these two, feel soooo gummy and flexy and have held up so well (not just ripping/leaks/thinning but not becoming old bricks) vs other very similar suits.

Different mixtures of neoprene used.
Yeah.

In greatly generalized terms....

flexibility comes at the expense of warmth.
warmth comes at the expense of flexibilty.

I would imagine there are materials that do a better job of elevating both factors, but they don't hit the same pricepoint.

hence

grades of yamminess (in this case) and their elevated cost.

Reactions: mundus

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
I've never tried a Matuse myself, but I gotta say I am super impressed by their customer service. I ordered a suit for my girlfriend's birthday and it was a size too small for her; we sent it back via USPS but my dumbass lost the receipt with the tracking number. It's been over 3 weeks and USPS still hasnt delivered the return to them and gave me the snarkiest attitude when I went into the post office to ask for any possible info.

I had a few email exchanges with Matuse trying to see if it had been received and Alex offered to have a refund sent or to go ahead and send the next size up eventhough the return still hasn't been received. They definitely did not have any obligation to do that on their end but gained a returning customer. I was very stoked on the customer service and am excited to get my lady out in the water with me in her new suit (which felt really nice and buttery btw)

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I'm facing the distinct possibility that for the first time in my life, I may no longer fit perfectly into a MT sized wetsuit. :oops:

• Wow
Reactions: Fishyhb