OZ Gold Coast February into March

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Good to hear mate. Still looks like there's a bit more in the tank today.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Me and Casa had a lengthy tete a tete yesterday.

Cool dude, top bloke.

He may have been rattled by the hillbilly ghetto style here but had decent enough manners that he didn't show it.

Pretty sure, over the course of a wide ranging discussion we managed to nut out most of the relevant topics- from surf to travel , politics, reviews of Barbarian Days to trannies.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Looks like it will start turn on again this week and (of course) really get going once I leave.

I've spent the majority of these past flat days driving the coastline in hopes of familiarizing myself with the spots for the future.

Found a little sandbar between Pottsville and Fingal Head this AM with little waist high bowly rights popping up out of nowhere while everywhere else wasn't even really rideable at all. The weakest stuff I've surfed in ages but it's all in the curve here making it somehow rippable. I was wondering if that's how wave pools are.

The further south you get the more isolated and a bit lonely it seems. Central-North Florida-like in many regards, with the towns here being quieter, smaller and more isolated.

With all the cameras I am wondering how many speeding tickets I've received. Max speed here on the freeway is around 70, I've tried to behave with cruise control but I'm sure I've fucked up somewhere.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Between Potsville and Fingal :roflmao: Really narrowing it down there. Good to hear you're getting waves.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Between Potsville and Fingal :roflmao: Really narrowing it down there. Good to hear you're getting waves.
Not really sure where it was, I started up at Laetitia sand transfer and then scoured around on the way south lust trying to get the lay of the beaches and sand and just stumbled on it. It was a grovel but fun for 30 minutes.

Very stocked on this morning's session with the fresh swell. I'll just keep my mouth shut. You guys are lucky and I'd hate to play a part in ruining it.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The Superbank turned on today around 1230 to my surprise. I'm up on the Gold Coast as I leave tomorrow and had gone down for a swim...ran back to the hotel and grabbed my board. Probably a 2/10 day but enough that Mick and Occy were on it along with a boatload of local kids that were getting nonstop dredging barrels behind the rock.

Words can't really explain the experience. The nonstop barrellage happening constantly before your eyes. Deep, sandy pits. Over and over and over. The first hour is spent just totally immersed sensorially in what is going on in front of you, the thing is just a machine, you can't even believe what is taking place. So many waves. I don't think i have ever been so drawn in by a sober experience in my life. To me it was entirely different than any other surfing experience. It's intense, constant. The colors, lips crashing, the wind blowing, the fun ensuing. Overwhelming I'd say.

I did 3.5 hours on nothing but 2 kiwi. Came back and just sat for a while at the car trying to comprehend it all. Fuck.

Nice end to the trip as the points on the Gold Coast were basically flat my whole time here. Sad as I just managed to get a little taste and now I want more.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Did you get one from behind the rock?
Ha! no way :roflmao:

Was so hectic between the back wash and the local crew all over it...all the while the takeoff demanding serious commitment. Saw plenty of guys get gobbled up at the top. Saw one guy take a board to the head.

I would have been crazy to attempt to partake.

Got inside two sandy ones, quick ones nothing crazy. Stayed in the zone between the two sets of rocks initially, then moved further down the point with the tide change. Took a licking on a too late too deep air drop too.

My impression is it really allows you to work on your tuberiding technique cause you know it's coming and you can really lock in cause it holds up. You guys are lucky to have so many points that get hollow...so much better than hit or miss beachbreak tube hunting.

Saw some looooong deep ones. And there are so many waves. Was way beyond what I had imagined.